Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My #%&* doesn't stink

I'm crabby today because of the landlord. The one who really runs the building is gone for two weeks and I'm dealing with her husband. Guess I can be grateful that I didn't have to deal with him all along! He called me last night and said, "This is Jim" and I'm racking my brain to think of someone that I know called Jim, or one of my son's friends. He finally says he's the landlord's husband. OK. Then he launches into how I need to clean the ferret cage before Friday because the girls who saw the place want to see it again and they smelled an "animal" smell. (I knew they would want this place! They'd never want the ratty third floor apartment!)

But I'm insulted: clean the ferret cage? I scoop it twice a day, clean it very often, bathe and spray the ferrets daily, put the deodorizer in their water. My ferrets don't stink! I know what you're thinking, ferrets ARE smelly little animals and maybe I just don't realize it. Nope. No one else has ever complained or even mentioned an "animal" smell, and that would include my Mom and some very picky friends who would be sure to let me know!

I think it could be from the hallway, which smelled like a barn for about a week when they took out the old carpet from upstairs. They smelled the stinky hallway, stepped into my place (the husband always enters from the back door, I hate that) and saw the ferrets and thought--aha--that's where the smell came from! But why would he not know that, when he was one of the people taking out that stinky carpet?

The girls want to see the place again. At least this time they're coming later. Last time even though I tried to get the landlord's husband to show the place later in the afternoon (because my son works nights and sleeps in) they came at 12:00 noon when he was in the shower!

But that leads to another problem: no one will be home when the husband shows the place. I don't know how my little dog will be. She might freak out and obviously the girls and the landlord's husband are not animal lovers. I don't know if I can get off from work to come back home for her.

The other problem is our fault. Late last night my son spilled the entire blender pitcher full of iced lattes ON THE PALE BEIGE LIVINGROOM CARPET! Yes, of course it made a stain even though we mopped it up ASAP. There goes our security deposit. And I was hoping to use it for buying a dehumidifier, a smoke alarm, a co2 alarm, and a weedwacker!

So, how is your life going? Better, I hope. Have a nice day!

13 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

There has to be something you can use to clean the carpet, like a stain remover?

How about Oxy clean, it took grape juice stains out of my niece's shirt.

And they should come when it is convenient for you.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

They really SHOULD come when it's good for YOU not for them. Sheesh.

As to the stain, Oxy clean isn't a bad idea to try. I've heard incredible things about that stuff.

Figures that something would spill just before you move. That happened to me once with punch and I spent half a night on my hands and knees scrubbing, rewetting, scrubbing, rewetting and then blow drying that carpet. That's a LOT of work though.

Sorry you're not having the best of Wednesdays. It'll get better. Think "move" ~ :)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Oh yes, and the irony about the animal smell? If he's a good salesman, he will explain that the smell will obviously be gone after you move (only because he is convinced it's your ferrets, which I'm sure it is not). Then, when you've gone, the smell will still be there for a longggg time because it was really that old carpet! hahaha (sorry, I'm devious, I know)

8:30 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Bummer!! If you don't have one, check with someone at work to see ifyou can borrow a carpet cleaner. They work wonders. If you can't...just buy some of the cleaner that goes in the carpet cleaners. That stuff is great. If you can't do that....rearrange your furniture for the showing. By the sounds of this "Jim", if he notices the stain now, he will be sure you don't get your security deposit back, even if you get it after the showing.

Here's to better days....:)

8:40 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I would like to throw my support behind the Oxy clean idea, that stuff really does work.
I can't quite wrap my mind around why they want to see it again. Either you like it or you don't, but maybe thats just me.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

No worries, PB. That mortgage application will soon be approved and you'll be in your own place. Jim sounds like he's unhappy about being "the landlord's husband."

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how Shakespeare wrote, "First, let's kill all the lawyers?" Well, next, let's kill all the landlords.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good riddance to that landlord and hope you find a beautiful new pad! lol!!!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I don't know about Oxy Clean but throw a rug over the stain on the carpet. That's what I have been doing for years. My house has levels now made of rugs but no visible stains..

6:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I agree with deni and Carol, i use Oxy clean..works great on some stains. OR why not hire a steam cleaner for half a day, that would definately remove it, and you'd get your deposit back minus the steam cleaner.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

yes, OxyClean does wonders.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I wish pealpe would look at my house and wont to bye it and them i could move!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a pale beige carpet but keep another rug on top of it... to clean carpets just use a baby..they lick it off!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home