Sunday, June 25, 2006

Good Timing

I've been alternating between great joy at the impending house closing and worry and fear that things won't work out as well as I'd hoped. Yesterday I received a vote of confidence from the government!

I've been worrying a bit about the closing costs, which are always more than you think--even after buying three other houses (shouldn't I know by now? but it always changes in the setup). I have more than enough money but want some left in reserve and also want to put up a garage, if possible. And then there's paying all the movers. We've been paying them more each time as a bribery and now it's up to $100 apiece! Quite a bite for me plus the truck and food and drink and everything else.

I took my little dog outside and sat on the front steps to go through the mail. There were some junk mail pieces, no bills, but a small, flat envelope from my old state. It was my state tax return for $29 over the amount I'd estimated that I'd be needing in cash to pay everything! Well, of course I knew it was coming, did the tax form after all, but the timing couldn't have been better!

Early yesterday I hit some rummage sales looking for some decent living room furniture. I dearly love my vintage rattan couch and loveseat but they're pretty rough around the edges and we plan to put them in the family room and have better furniture in the living room. Living with my Mom spoiled me! Her stuff, while not exactly my taste, looked SO nice in the living room that I was sold. Maybe I don't want the house looking like a college dorm after all!

The trouble is, I have a pretty exact image of what I want in a living room set. Needless to say, I didn't find it yesterday yet. Of course there's new furniture but I'm not about to pay hundreds of dollars for it, what a rip off! My friend SLA has a gorgeous couch and loveseat in a tweedy light blue. That's exactly what I want for our living room! Maybe I could buy it off of her, but I doubt it. She likes them pretty well. Her grown kids found them at a rummage sale and bought them for her.

Anyway, despite the fact we are still couch-less I did find some good stuff: a wheelbarrow for the gardens, a vacuum cleaner (I have one but it's small and not suitable for wide expanses of carpet) and a lounge chair. Don't know if we'll be using the lounger chair much but it might be nice for company. And even nicer is that the people are holding it for me. I explained that we're living in a second floor apartment and that the landlord would probably NOT like a wheelbarrow in the living room when showing it to potential tenants!

We'll have a lot of extra stuff to pick up besides just doing the moving. I hope the V-Man is up for it. I also bought a chain link fence from a woman in another department at work. I'm hoping it looks decent (was cheap), we can install it OK, and that it will be suitable for my little dog. If it doesn't work out, for one reason or another, the V-Man can have it for his country place. He's always needing fencing and stuff like that.

I also took my Mom out for lunch and we hung around and talked for awhile. Her apartment is so beautiful, I really love it--and more importantly, she does! We went next door to her landlord's place who were having a rummage sale. They had some nice furniture (but not a couch) like a coffee table and a rocking chair, but it was too expensive so I just bought a pretty tablecloth and a very nice large platter. My Mom said I could store the platter at her place until I moved, as it was heavy.

Well, hope you are enjoying your weekend!

7 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

Just keep your eyes and ears open, we bought our whole living room set, used for $600.00.

Watch the classifieds, and check out whole sale warehouses too.

I am like that, I have in mind exactly what I want and am not happy unless I find what I am looking for.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Money is such a worry. I hope that things work out for you.
I hope that you find some appropriate furniture soon

10:56 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Do you have a Goodwill or Savers nearby? Or any similar stores? Sometimes they have the most amazing deals, even on furniture, and in great shape, even though they're used.

Good luck!

12:08 PM  
Blogger dan said...

proprty deals are hell.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm sure you will find exactly what your looking for soon. I like Deni's idea of watching the classifieds, they always shave some decent furniture listed at reasonable prices :o)

5:59 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Good luck with it all. Hope it's over soon for you.

2:25 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Luckily it is garage sale season! I'm sure you will find something that you really like, and for a good price. A couch is my next big purchase too!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home