Friday, June 30, 2006

Final Walk Through

Well today is the big day! Last night after work I called the real estate agent to set up a final pre-closing walk-through for today. I was a bit surprised that he hadn’t called me yet to set up something, he’s seemed very honest and helpful. He and the mortgage banker have been the best I’ve dealt with so far—but of course it’s not done yet.

The agent seemed startled that I wanted to see the house again right before closing. But of course I do! There were tenants living in the house with pets and little children (no offense to people with either!) and some safety issues that I wanted fixed. So of course I want to do a walk through to make sure the house is clean and the way it looked when I made the offer. I just want to double-check that the tenants haven’t left a mess or wrecked anything, the requested repairs have been made, and the basement hasn’t suddenly flooded or anything. I would go so far as to postpone the closing if I couldn’t tour the house again right before the legalities. I’m investing a lot of money here and although everyone’s been very nice, it’s only smart to check it out before any problems that may have surfaced become MY problems!

Speaking of problems, I still don’t have a firm crew of movers. This is worrisome as the landlady is pressuring me to be out ASAP. It's certainly going to be a rough move if my son and I have to do it all. I've passed the day when I could lug heavy furniture down winding, tricky stairways all day! I've graduated into light furniture and box carrying!

I actually met the new tenants last night! Two girls came to the house as I was barefoot out on the lawn with the dog. They said they wanted to measure the hallway to decided how to move their furniture in, and so they did that first. After that I invited them inside the apartment, as one of them who will be lving there actually hadn’t see the apartment yet. So they measured the rooms inside as well.

Although they were very nice, polite and grateful to be allowed inside, they really aren't pet-oriented at all. During the measuring of the windows, etc. they accidently poked my dog twice with the measuring tape! Good thing she is even tempered and mild mannered. And one bumped into Ricky's (chinchilla) cage, causing him an earthquake. Most people, especially women, go nuts over Ricky, his soft, soft fur and cute little face and form. Not these two girls, he just was in the way for them.

There will be three girls renting the apartment, 18, 20 and 24 years old, none of whom have lived on their own before. This apartment is a nice place for a first apartment. I think they may get spoiled! I had looked long and hard and not found anything as nice in either the new city or the old.

The landlady was supposed to come over last night, but didn’t. I don’t know why she wanted to talk to me. And fireworks were going off all night long. The police radio was full of calls from people complaining about them! I kind of like to hear fireworks except last Thursday night when my neighbors were setting them off between our two buildings. The percussive effect of the fireworks sounded like it was going to shatter my bedroom window! The bright flashes were annoying when I was trying to sleep, too. I think someone finally called the police (I had the police radio shut off by then, when trying to sleep) so it finally became dark and quiet in the wee hours, not long before I had to get up for work.

It’s Friday, yay! Have a good day and a great weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I don't blame you one bit for wanting to do a walk through. Infact, i would encourage everybody to do one. When i bought this house, we didn't do a final walk through. On the day we moved in, the previous owner took the dishwasher and garden hoses with her!!

7:58 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Our realtor set up a walk through, he insisted on it, so we would see that repairs were done, and it wasnt a mess. Although, our house had been empty for a while before we moved in, we didn't really expect any surprises, but you never know.

It's a smart thing to do.

Well, today you become a home owner, that is awesome! Congrats!!!

8:03 AM  
Blogger dan said...

good luck

9:02 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I hope you find some movers and congrats on the house. Good luck!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PBS: You are my type of buyer! I agree. Have a second look! And feel the walls wherever you suspect that there might have been any flooding. lol! And have a great weekend!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

It seems to have gone so quickly---one minute you're thinking about buying, the next you're having a final walk-through! Good for you. Just don't get caught up this weekend hauling sofas.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Hope the house is in good repair and that the move is an easy one.
Have a great weekend..

6:47 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

You're more patient with people than I could be about the noise and lights.

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home