Monday, May 08, 2006

Twenty-one spent shells

Twenty-one spent shells are lined up on my kitchen table. I didn't know there were 21, just found that out now because when I was in the kitchen getting coffee I counted them. I probably shot more than that on Saturday as I fired four different types of guns and two of them were automatic rifles. The two rifles were an M16 and a sniper rifle, and actually there was another type of automatic rifle in there, too, maybe a 308? Not sure as I'm one to write that stuff down to remember it and couldn't out on the firing range.

I had thought firing the guns, pardon the pun, would be a blast. It wasn't as fun as anticipated. I was shivering when holding the M16. OK, it was chilly outside then yet, but I was also nervous, trying to remember how to put the magazine-thing in, how to move it up, how to unlock the safety, how to change into automatic firing. It didn't help any that the officer assisting me was that really cute one (but so many of them are!) who's 6'5" and on bike patrol! I shot OK, certainly not the best, as one of my classmates is in the military and required to qualify each year, but not the worst either.

There were so many components to that day other than the shooting, I have to try to write about them before they become a distant memory! Have a good Monday, the best you can, anyway!

12 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

Twenty-One shells WOW PBS!
I think I would have been shivering too.... cold weather or not!.
Have a Good Monday to you too.

I hope that you get everything written down before you forget them.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

How fascinating. I was surprised how heavy some guns can be. it's not as easy as it looks on tv, to aim and shoot in a split second.

7:03 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

OOOOOOh, I want to shoot an M-16!!

But then I love guns. :)

7:13 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Very cool! Personally, I LOVE shooting guns...I have my own shotgun and a small pistol I keep in my nightstand. I keep my pistol loaded, just in case. You just never know. The PK once asked me "If someone broke in the house and came after you, do you really think you could shoot them?" and I told him if it were a decision...the intruder or me? I'd shoot...I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Never shot an M-16 though...bet that would be interesting! :)

7:23 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Guns make me a bit nervous (as I don't know how to use them well) so I would have probably been shaking too!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I have never shot a gun... seems like something I shouldn't be doing.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I like shooting guns, but I think they make everyone a little nervous unless they do it frequently.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Skeet-shooting is as militaristic as I can get

5:57 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm feeling like a bit of a spent shell myself, like I had been shot.

9:33 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I don't like the feel of holding a gun...and it does make me nervous. But if someone comes into my home in a criminal way...I'll shoot your knee caps off.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i thought i'd be ok with handling a gun on the range we went to, but i felt so uncomfortable with it, if i wouldn't have looked a complete wuss i wouldn't have done it full stop, i don't think i'd do it again anytime soon either...

:0)

2:13 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I used to go target shooting with friends, used rifles too, and it was so much fun, although I was much more proficient at archery. But to have something as heavy duty as an M-16? Yikes, I'd be shivering up a storm. I can just imagine the kickback on those babies!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home