Saturday, April 29, 2006

Hands can hurt us

They couldn't show us the apartment last night, so it was a disappointment yet again for Mom. But we may look at two this weekend. Also I finally connected with a friend I haven't seen for a long time! We're going to meet at the May Day Celebration and then go to my favorite coffee shop. She had been waiting for the company I work for to post those two jobs. BZ just told me Friday that the jobs still won't be posted this weekend. The friend really wanted one of those jobs, but had to find something else in the meantime--in the theater department at a local U! She may just want to stay put in her new job.

I always tell people to not say where they heard about the job, and they laugh, thinking I'm making a joke. But I'm serious. BZ won't hire them if she knows they're a friend of mine! The name-dropping thing won't work, if the name dropped is mine. The other (meaning well, but annoying) thing people say is, "If it's such a wonderful job, why don't YOU apply for it?" Well--because I wouldn't stand a chance in hell, is why! I have the credentials, but to them it would be like hiring the janitor to be the bank vice president. It WOULD provide them with a whole lot of amusement, during the interview and all. No, I don't think so.

My son came home (relatively) early last night. He went out with friends after work for a couple of beers. He's always been pretty careful about drinking and driving and more so now that I've relayed some of the stuff we learned at the Citizens' Police Academy (think I'll call it CPA, as I'm really tired of typing out the entire name each time!) The blood/alcohol limit in our state is .08, this number goes down each time a person is stopped (I didn't know that.)

1st & 2nd drunk driving stop = .08
3rd drunk driving stop = .06
4th & 5th drunk driving stop = .02

The 5th drunk driving stop is a felony with a $10,000 fine and jail or probation for a year. My new state takes it very seriously, unlike the old one where drunks apparently just keep driving and risking others.

At the 6th CPA Session we also learned how to act during a traffic stop. It's just common sense, but I wasn't seeing it from the officer's point of view. They are really worried about what your hands are doing, "Hand can hurt us." all the cops repeated many times, like a cop mantra they learned in cop school.

I've been stopped a few times for speeding and a "rolling stop" when I was coming home from my second job at 4:00 a.m. and got off with a warning from all but one (by the Highway Patrol, in the state I live now!) And the first thing I do is open the glove box and try to find my insurance information, because they always ask for it right after your driver's license. I hadn't thought about it but YOU probably know that it's not a good idea to do that! The police called it a "furtive movement" and it would raise their threat level, not a good idea.

So the simple, logic tips to do when stopped are:

Pull over immediently, don't find a "good spot" as the officer turned on the siren and lights in that particular spot for a reason, usually it's good lighting so they can see into your car.

Stay in your car and roll the window down to hear their commands.

Put your hands on the steering wheel where the approaching officer can see them, no furtive movements.

Wait for further commands.

Well, that's all for today. Hope you never get stopped by the cops. Have a great weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I haven't been stopped yet, but I will keep this is mind if I ever do.

I'll be thinking, 'Now what did PBS write about this?'

8:50 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I've only been stopped once, and I think I broke every one of your suggestions -- from now on, I'll be a little less cavalier! :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

It's .05 here in Oz, but i think your 5th time caught penalty is brilliant, i wish we had it here.

6:51 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I've enjoyed learning the official cop stuff you've been providing. Very helpful if the need ever arises.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I hope that you get some friends to work with you - that would be good for you.

have a good weekend. Do you get Monday off like we do?

7:44 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Also it's not a good idea to shout "You'll never take me alive, coppers." :p

Actually, I already knew to do all that. It takes the edge off some cops.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home