Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My best gun story

Big battles at home over the starting time of tomorrow’s move. The last time we moved, which was not so long ago, we didn’t start until 3:00 p.m! Needless to say we ended up having to rent the truck for an extra day, and some of us were working from early in the morning until the wee hours just because certain other people couldn’t get up before noon or 1:00. Not the way I like to move. But of course, what sane person likes any part of moving except the end result? I’ll be so glad when this is over. This apartment is expensive without my Mom paying part of it, though. So I’ll be moving in the near future, too.

My gun reaction on Saturday surprised me—a lot. I’d grown up with guns. My Dad and brothers hunted (women didn’t hunt, in my family) and I’ve shot guns. When I was married and living in the country I owned a shotgun and a small rifle. I loved that rifle, it was a Ruger 22 with a clip. I slept with the clip under my pillow and the gun by my side because my ex worked rotating shifts and so was gone all night sometimes. My best gun story was with that rifle:

I was alone in the house in the middle of the woods with my baby son sleeping in the next room. I awakened to a violent pounding on the back door, which led into our kitchen. It was a drunken friend of one of my ex’s friends and he was yelling all sorts of scary and obsene things at me through the door, which had a window. I quickly got up, slipped on my bathrobe and put the clip into the rifle. I turned on the kitchen light so he could see me clearly (probably not so safe, really, as then I was a clear target if HE had a weapon!) went down on one knee and balanced the gun on that knee. He saw me all right and stopped hollering, especially when he heard the click of the gun cocking.

“If you break that door down, I will blow off your head.” I said loudly to him, and meant it. Even though I didn’t think a 22 could take off anyone’s head, it was close range and I definely would be able to hit him with several shots. My coldblooded plan was to shoot him as many times as it took to drop him and THEN fire into the ceiling and later claim I’d fired a warning shot. I didn’t want to go to prison for murder, the laws about shooting intruders are kind of weird in my old state.

Well, he decided not to break our door down and disappeared into the woods. No, I didn’t call the police after that, either. I didn’t dare because my ex hung out with such a motley bunch of people (just think of Earl, on TV) that there was no telling what he/they had in the basement, possibly drugs, stolen goods. I didn’t even go down there as our laundry was upstairs. I didn’t want the police looking through our house! And, of course it would have taken them a very long time to come to our house, which is the big difference between living in the country and living in town. Country people need to be quite self-sufficient because help isn't just a few minutes away.

When married, I’ve done a some small game hunting and always liked the feel of a gun in my hand. Just thought I’d love shooting some big, powerful guns. But the guns on Saturday were black, scary, had scopes and straps. Our targets were human-shaped. It was very unnerving. And, as I said yesterday, I couldn’t have predicted that my reaction would be to feel more nervous and scared than thrilled to shoot THOSE rifles! There was a progressive lead-up to my semi-freaking out over it too, which I’ll write about later this week. Have a good Tuesday!

9 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

Yep, a gun can give a woman power when she is endangered. Just think what could have happened if you didn't have the means to protect yourself!

Hubby wants to teach me how to shoot his muzzle loader, but that is one gun that makes me nervous.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

When ever I read about guns and thier ownership and use in the US I find it a bit hard to identify with. Guns are illegal in the UK. By applying for a license then some Farmers can own them. If you shootof rsport you are not (I think) allowed to take your gun away from the club. AND of course all our police are unarmed with the exception of the armed divison.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wow, I can picture you hunkered down with the rifle cocked...it's like a movie! Cool but obviously very scary for you. Great story.

I've shot a few guns, target practise on the farm kinda thing, never ever had to point it at an actual person. Although there have been those over the years I'd have loved to have pointed one at lol I can understand why it would unnerve you doing that last Sat. My brother (cop in sydney) carries one on him all the time, I hate that. Here in NZ, the police don't carry guns as part of their uniform...yet.

It's Wed morn here in NZ, so I take that to mean it's Tues a/noon where you are....hope all goes well for the shift tomorrow. Good luck!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

this was one scary post...

7:35 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

At least you weren't a ninny...you assessed the situation and acted accordingly and apparently calmly...and got your point across. Good for you.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i can't imagine you doing that...you have a lot of guts, i think i'd be terrified of actually pointing a gun at someone, i was enough of a wreck just aiming at clay pigeons...

:0)

4:36 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow! Good for you for protecting you and yours!

I've often told The PK that if someone were threatening me like that, I would indeed shoot them. They have no right in my house...if they don't want to get hurt, they need to move on!

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I think I'd have been terrified to have a gun in my hands, but I've never held a real gun before.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

LOL, my jaw is still sitting on my desk!! Holy crap, that is one truly amazing story PBS :o)

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home