Thursday, March 09, 2006

Police Academy: Citizens on Patrol

Not only do I have the jewelry making class and Women’s Expo to look forward to, but now the Citizens’ Police Academy too!

My good friend UHI, who lives in my old state and works in this new one told me about the CPA last summer and it sounded so fun. They only have it once a year and only 25 people can get into it each time. So, a while back I applied and have now received a letter that I’m in! We get to ride around in a patrol car and go on the police rifle range to shoot various police weapons. Yippee that will be fun! I wish we could do evade and pursuit driving too, but doubt THAT would be on the agenda.

Oh, I’m sure there will be some more boring stuff like videos and speakers and such but we will learn about “justification for use of force and specifically the use of deadly force.” We will also learn about documenting the conditions of a crime scene—the evidence technology session. The class syllabus says “we will demonstrate the traffic stop and the felony car stop. Students will be asked to participate.” One session is on the juvnile justice system and there will be a demonstration of the K-9 Unit. The first session is on March 22 and I can hardly wait!

Have you ever attended a Citizens’ Police Academy? Would you if you could?

10 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

After you get in good with the coppers, do you think you could fix a few traffic tickes and arrest warrants for me?

9:33 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I can't say that i would go to a CPA class. The instuctors probably wouldknow me
LOL
I can see how it would be a benifit to citezens to know how the police work.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the difference between a stop and a felony stop?

Wait, I know... night sticks.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Well that sounds interesting but I am not sure I'd want to run around with the police, I'd be scared something bad would happen with my luck but I hope you have a good time!!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm too bust laughing at the others comments!!
I've lectured at one very similar to this. It was fantastic because it gave the public an insight. Most people believe things happen just like on tv, and it's just not like that. Specially the glamour!

4:17 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Oh, I wanna go too!!!

Something about men in uniform and all those *cough* big guns. :)

Just kidding there, I actually probably would enjoy that, especially the shooting range.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I think it's a great idea, one I've never heard of here in Canada. I'd definitely support it!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Personally, cops are one thing I try to stay away from (unless absolutely and forcefully needed)... Have fun, though! :)

11:06 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

hmmmm i'm not sure i'm gutsy enough to try that...

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't but I would! That sounds excellent. By the way ... tag! you're it!

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home