Sunday, March 05, 2006

A dilemna: am I being used?

Well, I had a good Saturday even though the Scone Club has not been able to meet for the last couple of weeks, very disappointing.

The day started out not-as-good however, with my Mom taking off alone so early and then SLA called me. First she invited me over to see her grandson, whom I've not ever seen yet and he's around seven months old or so. She's not invited me or barely spoken to me since I moved in next door to her, a disappointment to me.

Shortly after the first call, SLA called me again with an emergency this time. Her former Houseguest's ex had come into town and taken back the car. Houseguest was extremely distraught, needed someone to talk to right this very minute, so I was to go and bring her to SLA's house. Which I did, including her large muddy dog who got my good coat and the jeep all dirty.

SLA and Houseguest were both using that car to get to work, run errands, etc. The thing is, the car wasn't in her name, she was just using it (and letting SLA use it) with no insurance or title. That kind of thing makes me nervous. I was drawn into the situation because they were hoping to be able to "share" my jeep.

I'd like to be a friend about this, but don't feel good about it at all. For one thing, my suspicions are aroused that the car was taken earlier than Saturday morning--like Thursday night before SLA called up my Mom to borrow Mom's car. And I don't like being conned or lied to, even by a friend. Also, maybe this is petty of me but my feelings are a bit hurt that she hadn't wanted to get together with me until now, when she needs something from me. I feel used.

Also, they both have a way-too-casual attitude about cars, could let her druggy son drive my jeep or otherwise pass it around to other friends! I don't like this and offered to give her/them rides when possible but NOT loan out the jeep. I'm not going to change my mind about this but am curious as to what you think about this situation?

E-mails jokes about/from my new state!

GOOD

A Madison, WI policeman had a perfect spot to watch for speeders, but wasn't getting many. Then he discovered the problem - a 12-year-old boy was standing up the road with a hand painted sign, which read "RADAR TRAP AHEAD". The officer also found the boy had an accomplice who was a bit further down the road with a sign reading "TIPS" and a bucket full of money. (And we used to just sell lemonade!)

BETTER

A motorist was mailed a picture of his car speeding through an automated radar post in La Crosse, WI. A $40 speeding ticket was included. Being cute, he sent the police department a picture of $40. The police responded with another mailed photo of handcuffs.

BEST

A young woman was pulled over for speeding. As a Wisconsin State Trooper walked to her car window, flipping open his ticket book. She said cheerily, "I bet you are going to sell me a ticket to the State Trooper's Ball!" He replied, "Wisconsin State Troopers don't have balls." There was a moment of silence. He then closed his book, got back in his patrol car and left, proving the point.

My Mom arrived home safely but exhausted. Son carried up the things she'd gotten from her old house. Yes, I should have gone out there with her. Have a great rest of your weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger thtgrl said...

hmmm. i don't think i would be comfortable lending out my car. i would drop someone off/pick them up when i could. i would even take them to catch the subway or the bus, but i definitely wouldn't share my car. imagine if there were an accident. you would have no car either.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Stick with your instincts

2:49 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I think you are correct in your decision not to let them have use of the jeep. It is more than a bit cheeky to assume. I hope that things work out as you wish

4:54 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

oooooooooo and you won the competition

4:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Petty? I don't think so. No insurance no lending. Like everyone else has mentioned go with your instincts, if she's a true friend then she'll understand.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

From the way they view cars nd the law. I am sure insurance is required I'd say NO!!!!!!!!
Get your own wheels.
Besides if anything happens to your Jeep I bet they will dissapear when the repair bill popped up.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i wouldn't be comfortable loaning our car to our best friends, it creates such a tension if anything were to happen...i hope you manage to sort this out...

*hugs*

2:31 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Nobody drives my cars...ever!

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home