Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Tougher than teenagers…..

Living with my Mom is not going to be boring. I wish it would be a bit more so! I was having a busy Monday at work, away from my desk several times. When I came back, the message light was on but whoever called had not left a message. We don't have call ID at work or any way to track who has called unless they leave a message. Several hours later, at 1:00, my son called.

“The cops brought Grandma home”

“What?” I said, a bit too loudly into the phone, completely stopping any work.

“She had an accident. Oh, don’t worry, she’s OK though.”

All sorts of things ran through my head, the chief being—why on earth had she gone out anywhere when it was snowy and slippery? And thank God she was OK and so was everyone else.

“She hit the window at the bank. She broke it and banged up the car pretty good too.” He continued.

“And she’s OK, she didn’t get hurt?” I asked anxiously. “She called her insurance?”

“The cops and the bank MADE her call her insurance company before bringing her home. Then I had to walk and find the car. It was hard since she couldn’t tell me where it was at, couldn't give me street directions.”

Even though it was a terrible thing and could have ended very badly, I resisted the urge to giggle. “At least our new town is flat and small. It could have been worse (to find the car).

“The car doesn’t drive well any more. And that window at the bank…..” he said.

“Was it a drive up window?”

“No, the lobby window.” He said. "Grandma said there were lots of witnesses. She tried to call you first right after the accident, from the bank while waiting for the police."

“What’s Grandma doing now?” I asked.

“She’s sitting in her room and doing a jigsaw puzzle.”

At that I laughed so hard I cried. It was sort of a laugh and a cry. It was so awful and yet so funny (since nobody had gotten hurt). My son was relieved to hear me laugh. We both were so tense and concerned.

“Yeah” he said, “They probably thought she was distracting them so bank robbers could sneak in the back!”

I think she was lucky to not get in the local evening news. And, of course VERY VERY lucky to not hurt herself or someone else.

Then after dinner we went to a documentary movie shown in the nearby library by the Greens. My Mom really got into the discussion part. At first I was happy she was so engaged, but soon was trying to find a way to get her to come home with us (son came too) or at least not comment about every other comment. My Mom is outspoken, while son and I are usually quiet in a group. You gotta admire that. But this is going to be a lot harder than I had thought. Someone once told me taking care of aging parents is "Tougher than teenagers….." and I think they may be right about that.

Favorite co-worker told me about some of the things her poor grandmother had done and we laughed so hard we cried (again, for me). It's so sad, stressful and scary but yet parts of it are hilarious. Got any good stories about a parent or a grandparent?

14 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

My mom has lived with The PK and I since 1992...and it is a MAJOR job raising a parent. I can whole-heartedly believe that it's as hard as a teenager.

My mom is 72 and sometimes her driving scares me. I DREAD the day I'm going to have to suggest she quit driving. I know I'll have a fight on my hands then! My mom is one stubborn lady! :)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

If it ever happens again, tell your mother to act indignant and complain that she had to circle the block twice to get up enough speed to make it through the drive-in window and somebody should add a fecking ramp.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

My husband lived away from home at university thousands of miles away for two years. During that time, my daughter Sarah called me every day---just to check. I'll never forget how supportive she was, and I wasn't even gaga yet.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Restless Angel said...

It wasn't a drive-thru window then....

Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, I'm glad she's okay... the car can be replaced a helluva lot easier, eh?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG PBS, this is so priceless! Your mum sounds like a real laugh, what an interesting life she must lead LOL. You have to focus on these moments because they really are one in a million :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I am glad to hear that she is allright and no one else was hurt.

I love how older people just take things in stride. :)

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to stay with my gran for a night. She'd had a fall & my folks were on holiday. The hospital said she couldn't go home alone. Before we went to bed she asked me what time I needed to get up for work so I told her 6.30 & I'd set my alarm. 6.35 am she walked into my bedroom to make sure I was awake. She then went back to bed once I'd got up. I made her a cuppa & stayed with her until someone else could come watch her. She wouldn't get out of bed again (I didn't find this out til days later) saying she ached & couldn't walk. But bless her heart she'd got up to make sure I wasn't late for work. (Even tho I didn't make it in til almost lunch time as I didn't want to leave her alone!
Glad your mum's OK.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I am glad she is okay but after knowing that it is pretty funny. Makes me miss my Grandma :) sounds like something she would do.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got one: my grampa recently had prostate surgery. Everything went smoothly.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Hilarious! And very frightening. Sorry, PB. I have no old people stories, but I've lots of teenager ones. You'll have your difficulties, that's for sure. But I'm certain you'll make lots of memories along the way.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

oh, lord, if she is trying to break into the banks of your new town already, what else is to come??? Ha, ha.. Good story... And good to hear she's ok too!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Glad to hear you mom is fine. Cars and windows can be replaced.
Doing a puzzle LOL

12:09 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Wow! I'm glad your mom is okay! At least she seemed to take it in stride.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

A woman after my own heart! Now that's JUST the type of thing someone would catch me doing ... well, maybe not driving through a bank window, but coming home after a trauma and doing a jigsaw? Definitely! Good for the blood pressure. hahaha... very cute post and I'm VERY glad she ended up okay. Phew!

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home