Friday, February 24, 2006

A welcome to the new city/state

I had coffee with my Mom this morning and barely had any time to blog. So I'm writing this at WORK! Living dangerously again...

When I went out to the jeep this morning, one of those three-wheeled little police vehicles was rapidly pulling away (when the driver saw me). And coming up to the jeep, I saw why--I had a ticket on my windshield! Whaaaat? At first I couldn't figure out why I'd received a ticket, not on the wrong side (sides switch for snow plowing) not blocking a sidewalk or near a fire hydrant. At work I deciphered the smudgy ticket and it was for "facing wrong way" for $16.00!! Grrrr, I wasn't the only one doing that but appeared to be the only vehicle who received a ticket! Of course I still have out-of-state plates on the jeep, as I'm waiting for the holy grail of a clear title.

My new city, new state gave me a parking ticket! They're notorious for giving parking and speeding tickets to people from my (former)state. There's a rivalry between the two cities and thus the two states. My speeding ticket I got six years ago was also in my new state. And with the same scenario, plenty of people doing the same thing, and I was the one to get pulled over because I had out-of-state plates!

Yes, I know any parent has heard that argument from their kids and it's really NOT okay to do something just because everyone else is doing it. But somehow it's not totally fair, either. The ironic thing is that my former state/city is kind to out-of-state plates, in fact forgives or doesn't even issue parking tickets as part of a "hospitality" program.

It's kind of like (and I may be starting trouble here by saying this) when I was a kid the Lutherans would always be talking so badly about the Catholics, saying all sorts of true and untrue bad things. Whereas the Catholics never said anything bad about the Lutherans--which just made the Lutherans madder! It wasn't because the Catholics were kinder or better than the Lutherans, but because of a sort of arrogance that they didn't deign to even NOTICE them! This city vs. city rivalry is sort of like that.

Friday, Yay! Friday! Have a great one!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember talking smack about Catholics as a kid. I think I was just jealous that they got a First Communion. My friend Rich got a freggin' NEW BIKE on his FC.

We Protestants don't get crap.

11:24 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

Poor Protestants.

**smirking**

Sorry about the ticket...sure makes you feel welcome in a new place, eh?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That really bites!!!

Well, I hope your weekend is loads better than your Friday, dang it!!!

11:49 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Strange welcoming system they have in your new place, huh?

12:34 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

What Lutherans?

6:04 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm Lutheran and I never said a bad thing about a catholic that I didn't mean. Just kidding. I never even thought about the differences in religions. Whatthehellever.

Anyway.....that stinks about the ticket! What a childish game to play.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Pooh on the ticket!
Have a great weekend PBS :o)

3:42 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

not many lutherans where I grew up, but people still talked crap about others... and they were all catholics... I suppose there are people who just talk crap all the time.

About that ticket, I would burn their city council, police station or something like that until they apologized for that "welcoming" (What??? That's not sound advice???.. well, there are plenty of other bloggers for sound advice here (ha, ha,ha!) ;)

Happy Weekend!

8:56 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Oh that sucks about the ticket. I hope in MY new state they aren't like that.

I'm not telling hubby this one, he will fret and worry about it.

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks. What a welcome!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

That's lousy about the ticket, PBS. What a warm welcome. The cop probably had to meet his quota. (clears throat) That's what I told myself when I got the speeding ticket the other day. Sure I was speeding (12 mph over the limit) but this knucklehead stopped me just YARDS beyond where the road signs changed the limit!

As to the Catholic/Lutheran thing ... interesting. I've belonged to both clubs, but I truly never heard either side belittle the other. Now in the privacy of one's living room? That might be another story! hahah

8:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's such wasted energy isn't it PBS? I find it commonplace. In Dallas, Fort Worth was a target and vice verse. Here in the Midwest, it's East side (snobs) and West side (blue collar where I was born). Sorry about that ticket, but I love Jeeps!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home