Thursday, February 23, 2006

Shhh, Mom's still in bed

Geez, burned myself in the shower this morning. Can't remember when I last did that--like pre-teenager maybe? It was a dumb thing of turning the cold water off instead of the shower (all three handles look exactly the same) so the hot water got really really HOT, ouch! But I've showered here everyday since moving and that's been a while now. Guess I qualify as an idiot too, like the guy downstairs. Must be something about this building, ha ha!

In other breaking news, my son had a girl over last night! It's someone he's been with for quite a while but never brought her by our old little house. I can't blame him, we lived rather primitively. My Mom and I cooked up the dinner and invited them both to a "mystery meal" and we kept laughing about it. The two wisely declined because they said they'd eaten right before they came in. But I wonder... Anyway, I can see where I get my cooking skills from, my Mom. She has the same attitude as I do, can't find the sugar? Throw in some maple syrup!

But last night was the third night in a row that I cooked and ate dinner, did the dishes, then ended up on the couch asleep just an hour or two later. Don't know if it's because of being awakened so early or just that the effort of either cooking or help cook an entire large dinner every night is wearing on me! I'm used to throwing together a couple of things and putting them in the microwave. Wraps with various foods inside are good for that. Baked potatoes with cheese and vegetables on top are too. These large meals are wearing me out. Except--maybe it's because I've been EATING a large meal! But I can say that three people can produce an awfully lot of dishes and that usually I'm the one to do them all. I think I'm just spoiled at having (previously) so much non-work time to myself!

My blogging time coincides with time with my Mom, too. So sorry if I haven't been very good at reading and keeping up with everyone's fascinating continuing stories! Maybe Saturday I can catch up a bit, normally do that.

Another funny thing is that my Mom is kinda weird about the dial-up. She wants a dial tone on the telephone all of the time and is nervous about internet usage. My son had speed internet installed this week and will hook up mine soon. "What if some one was trying to call us?" she will say.

"Not likely at 5:35 a.m. Mom." I will reply. But it's a no win conversation and it will be good when we both can be online and Mom will still have her dial tone! I think that anyone who's trying to call can just call us back. Maybe that's kind of arrogant but I'm not worried about missing phone calls. In fact I really HATE call waiting! Amanda has it and will put me on hold several times during a conversation (that she called ME) to get the other calls. She must be like my Mom, cannot stand the thought of missing any phone calls!

How are you about missing phone calls? OK with it or want to talk to everyone who calls?

12 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

We have call waiting but I never ever use it. I figure "If it's important enough, they'll call me back." The PK HATES it when I don't click over to the new call but tough noogies.

He also HATES it when I screen phone calls (we have an answering machine and if I don't recognize the caller I.D, I let the machine pick it up). He's the kind of person that HAS to answer the phone.

Hope you didn't burn yourself too bad with that hot water...scalds hurt worse than just about anything!!!

7:11 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Hey thanks, PQ! It hurts to wear a bra because my back and right shoulder got burned. Wish I could have just left off the bra, but that would not be appropriate for the office!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I never answer the phone. Instead, I screen all calls with my answering machine. I can't remember when the last time was that I received a legitimate phone call.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate HATE call waiting. Nothing like being in an important tele-meeting and some dipshit teen tries calling 17 times!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I can't stand to miss a call but I have a little case of OCD going on. Everyone knows that I will ALWAYS answer the phone, so that is how I can't ever ignore those people that need to be ignored in my life!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

We have call waiting because I want to avoid the long-distance soliciting---I've yet to take a call when I'm on with someone else, (although I know I would if it were one of my granddaughters). It makes me angry to have it happen to me, the same as if I'm in line at the store and the clerk takes a phone call before she'll ring up my purchase. Rude, rude, rude.

Or is that my granny genes kicking in?

5:55 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I think after it move it will be just the opposite for me, another bonus? Less food to cook for just the two of us, which means less dishes to wash.

As for phone calls, I hate when the phone rings period. But I always answer it. I have to have call waiting though, and dsl to have an open phone line for my hubby's job.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Never even worry about answering the phone at home, unless I'm right next to it... And even then, I'll always check the screen first, before I decide to pick it up... Considering my girlfriend is also usually connected to the web (she works from home and needs the PC for that) and we've got only one line, I don't think we really take over 10% of the total calls we might have received.
For truly important things, most people I care for, know I always carry my mobile.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I have call waiting/answering machine. I only have it because of work. I'm not that fond of chatting on the phone.
Look after that burn PBS...nasty :(

8:07 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

I have call waiting and only respond if it think it might be important..which is rarely. I have an answering machine that gets my phone most of the time. If I think I want to talk to that person, I pick it up. My husband also has to answer the phone but I let him get it then when he is home.

I think I am the only woman who does not like talking on the phone all that much unless it is someone who is very close and special to me like my one friend in illinois or my foster sister in detroit. Otherwise, my own kids do not get me to tlk that much on the phone.

I know about burns boy. I hope yours is okay by now.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i rarely answer ours anymore, i let the machine pick up, its normally some call centre...and most friends have my mobile number...

be careful with that shower, can you tie blue and red sticky tape around them to let you know which is which...

:0)

2:33 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

I loathe call waiting. We have it because it came as part of a package deal, but I just don't like the entire concept. Unless I'm waiting to hear from a doctor (or lawyer, gasp!) the other person can wait or call back.

The funny thing is (and I posted about this long ago) ... most people I know, when they get the little call waiting indicator sound, swear and say "DAMN, I have another call" or "Oh nuts... I hate this crap."

On the flipside, I hate a busy signal! haha ... I'd rather leave a message on a machine knowing full well the person is just sitting there screening their calls.

Sorry you got burned in the shower. OUCH!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home