Saturday, February 18, 2006

Cold weather hits

Wrote this late last night, but didn't finish to get it posted:
Just got back from the super store, went to get a few things like milk, a mop, carpet cleaner, oatmeal, bananas and stuff like that. It's -20 in temperature here and -41 with the windchill. We normally get cold temperatures in the winter, but have been spoiled all winter so far because of record warm weather. You better believe I filled up the gas tank of my jeep before returning back home! The jeep HATES cold weather. In fact, since I can't plug it in, I'm going to have to go out again around 2:00 a.m. or so and start it up to run for awhile. I also ran my Mom's car for a bit, too. My son is at work. His car starts no matter how cold the temperature. I should have kept that car! But it wasn't a good car in the country because it would get stuck in deep snow. My Mom is exhausted from her house closing and went to bed even before I left. My brother is gone too, to stay in his new house. All of that went well. We went out to celebrate after the closing was done. They came to pick me up at the apartment, since I didn't go to the closing.

Today (Saturday): Had a nice cup of coffee with my Mom. I really like sitting in our beautiful, sunny kitchen and just talking. Son is still sleeping because he got home late from work. I got up early and cleaned my room the best I could. We had to put the rattan couch in here, which has scrunched things in a little. Plus I have boxes and boxes of books that I've sorted through, stacked on the floor. I'm going to call the Friends of the Library, who are having a book sale to benefit the library (which to two blocks from here!). I really hope they can come and GET them! I don't want to lug them back down the stairs and into somewhere else. But I will if I have to do it.

Duggie is doing amazingly well. Thanks for your concern about him! Both Son and V-Man are really good with animals and had/have been nursing him and doing ferret physical therapy! Duggie can walk around now. He still drags one of his back feet. And he can't eat very well. My Son bought him some high-end canned cat food that smells really good! But Duggie's mouth is burnt and sore, so he barely touches it. We think he bit through his tongue while he was convulsing from the current, too. Yuck, poor thing. But he's doing quite well for a little creature who had stopped breathing for over a minute at least. He doesn't want to play at all, of course. So that leaves Nebby in a playful mood--he tackled my feet in the bathroom. Ouch ouch! The ferrets play pretty rough.

I went down this morning after getting up, and started both cars. My Mom's car started up pretty well considering it had been used to the shelter of a garage. But the jeep barely started, so I had to sit out with it and babysit until it got warmed up (and I got really chilled!)

My Mom's closet collapsed when I had barely begun to hang up her clothes. So I've called the landlords and they will come this afternoon to fix both her and my closets. It'll be great to have a place to hang our clothes! My son's closet was the only one that didn't collapse, and I think that's only because he hasn't unpacked and hung up much in it yet.

Well, have a great Saturday! I hope it's a lot warmer wherever YOU are!

12 Comments:

Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Here it is 12F. I believe it is the high for the day. I plan on staying indoors with my hot cocoa. Yesterday, the high winds knocked the power out for three hours. Fortunately, it was while the temps dipped from the 50's to the 30's, so we didn't freeze to death. If it happened today, it would be an entirely different story. I have been spoiled by the warmer than normal temperatures this winter. It has made winter bearable for me, but made reality (like today) really hurt!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

We're aiming for a high of 24C today, but then it's summer over here, so we're supposed to lol

Glad to hear you're all settling in well there. Lord, that poor ferret, sounds like he has a bit of recuperating to do before he's back to normal...so good that you have V-Man and your son to nurse Duggie back to good health.

Have a great Sunday!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I guess you don't want to hear it's 95dgs here then!

So glad Duggie is on the mend :)
You all have a relaxing weekend :o)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Cold here too, but the fireplace is going...I love having a couch in the kitchen, even if it feels squished; there's something homey and old-timey aobut it. We won't have one in our new place though---barely room in the kitchen for a 2-person table.

3:40 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

16 degrees here. Brrrr, we have been spoiled too all winter with warmer temps.

I am so glad Duggie is feeling better!!!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

-41 windchill ouch... shall I tell you how sunny and warm it was here?? naaaaaah I don't think so.. I want you to keep talking to me :)
Look after yourself and keep warm

4:41 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Happy Sunday!
Weather has been great in Barcelona the last few days... I think Spring is in a hurry to get here.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Blue944 said...

I lived in Chicago for about a year and a half and that almost killed me. I remember on Super Bowl Sunday it was -80 with the wind chill. That is why I lice in CA. now.

12:38 PM  
Blogger dan said...

"My Son bought him some high-end canned cat food that smells really good!"

i reckon i'd probably try eating that.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Here it was about 80 degrees on Saturday.

I can't imagine being in weather that cold...I'd freeze to death!

Glad to hear Duggie is doing so well after what happened. Amazing little guy, huh?

7:02 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

It's freezing here. -31 without the windchill and I had to go out there BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Where is spring ?

1:21 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Very happy to hear that Duggie is doing better.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home