Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Columbo Syndrome

Haven't devoted much time to blogging lately, but hope to catch up, maybe this weekend. Other things keep getting in the way. Last night my son and I brought our cars in for an oil change, the night before that I got groceries. My Mom usually gets up in the morning to see me off to work. That's been a change for me. So much of a change that I've barely made it to work on time and was ten minutes late one morning! Yesterday I was almost half an hour early (like I normally am) so maybe I've made the adjustment? Do you have as much trouble actually getting out the door as I do?

I call it the "Columbo Syndrome" after that old TV show. You know, where he's interviewing the suspected perpetrator, walks away, then returns and says, "Just one more thing..." and asks the most hard-hitting question. It's not that I'm interviewing anyone or even talking but that I notice ONE MORE THING to do before leaving the house. Yesterday it was the dirty dishes, so I washed them but still arrived early to work. Sometimes it can be straightening up a particular area, or finding a book, or a bill or ...most anything. But I just have to do/find it before leaving the house. I was once told that it's a form of OCD, as I actually was diagnosed with a mild case of it a long time ago.

But in mentioning the problem to other people, I've found out that quite a few people do the same thing and haven't been diagnosed with OCD or anything else. So I think it may be just sort of normal. Weird normal (if there is such a thing!) but normal.

Do you have to do just ONE MORE THING: do you have any quirky or normal stuff that you just have to do before leaving the house for the day?

12 Comments:

Blogger mrhaney said...

have you been watching my house. the reason i ask is because i always forget some thing and have to go back in to the house. the big problem is i have to leave my wife sitting in the car when i do and she is ready to go.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Holy smokes YES! I have to get to work half an hour early or I feel like I'm running late (does that make any sense???) The PK got SO mad at me the other morning because I don't have to be to work until 7:30 but I always leave my house at 6:30 to get to work by 7:00. He says "You're SO anal!" And I guess I am....so what's wrong with that??? (hee, hee)

And yes, I do that "just one more thing" all the time. Straighten the mail on the counter, put the dirty cups in the dishwasher, check to make sure the front door is locked (even when I know it already is!!!)...always something!!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I used to have to recheck the stove and locks when I tried to leave, but I forced myself to quit because it was becoming a problem.

12:11 PM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

totally normal. i get so much done on my way out the door in the morning. almost like it gets done faster than it would if i wasn't on my way out. i can't say i always end up at work early as a result, but sometimes i wonder how i get things done and still get to work on time!

(is it just me, or is this word verification getting more difficult lately??)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I always do a visualization of where I'm going and what I'm going to do there just before I leave the house---that way, I have the stuff I need, like car-keys and money. My dear Dave on the other hand, Columboes about 4 times before he gets in the car, once in the driveway and sometimes when he's already on the road....

6:52 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Trouble getting out of the door me never.
Now getting out of bed is another matter.
I guess there will be adjusting everywhere now that there are three of you living togather.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i know I get out of the house and half way to work and i'll have forgotten something and its too late to go back...agh its so annoying...

but dishes can wait...

i also go back to check the door when i get to the end of the street, i suffer from OCD too...ooh i do that straigtening thing stacy does too, i can't walk past the bosses desk without putting all his things in nice lines...

*hugs*

2:26 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

My Columbo Syndrome isn't usually forgetting things or going back to check on stuff in the morning or when otherwise going out. It's more like compulsive last-minute tidying up, straightening the rug, moving a decoration an inch to line up properly, stuff like that. And it does get done faster than otherwise! So it's a good thing, sort of, less time tidying up.

Yes the word vertification seems to be getting longer and longer. dyxuakbb in weird slanted letters this time.

5:53 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I always, always, always, check the mailbox before I leave. Odd, but true.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I try to be like that. IN the summer I am a woman possessed in the morning. In the winter I am a bit slower of the mark.

I have just figured what PBS stands for....Doh......

ooooooo my verification is:
easewnym

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yea, I'm a nightmare. I have to lock doors & say outloud "back door locked" etc or else I go back & back again to check! Have to do it with the car too & did I turn the tap right off? Did I give the dog fresh water? Did I put the rabbit back in his house? Did I put deodorant on this morning? Oh heck I double check everything!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Yes, yes! I have the Columbo Syndrome too! And now it has a name, thanks to you!

;-)

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home