Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Holidays and Happy Christmas to you!

I've already had my Christmas, last night. My younger brother and crew of wife and four teen-age and almost teen-age boys, and my older brother, wife and his oldest son and two children all congregated at my Mom's house to celebrate and exchange gifts. We don't draw names but all buy for each other. It's a lot of gifts to buy and wrap, this year I think I had 42 or so gifts to wrap and give!

I survived BZ's office Christmas party from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 or so on Friday (she was not a great hostess, I was a bit surprised as she prides herself on being the best at everything)then SLA and I searched for apartments during the afternoon. My Mom had been calling my work and my home phone number frantically to summon me for the celebration--which I had thought was going to be late Saturday afternoon! So the gifts were not all wrapped, but at least the kids' presents were. So I put the adult's gifts into gift bags instead of wrapping them all. This was pretty lazy of me but worked out just great.

The driving was treacherous, icy rain on the road but I hurried to get out there and arrived much sooner than expected. The bad thing was that I had to get back home again so didn't dare drink the beer and Bailey's like all of the other adults. My son couldn't attend, as he was slaving away at Retail-land. Even though the last food I had eaten had been at noon and there was all sorts of lovely things to eat, I wasn't hungry. It had been a brutal day and I had been very (privately) depressed and crabby. But my sweet sister-in-law packed up some ham and bread which my son later enjoyed when he finally got home from work. I left my Mom's house and celebration around midnight for the long drive back home. The roads were just as bad, if not even worse as it had gotten colder. I was glad I had a cup of coffee before leaving and not any alcohol! I had to drive around 35-45 mph all the way back, so it took a long time. My son had just pulled into the driveway from working all day when I got back home.

At the Christmas celebration both of my brothers were overjoyed at the "perfect solution" of ME living with Mom, but that's part of the reason I was crabby and depressed. I don't think it's going to work out. Today she called me in the morning to (again) say that she doesn't want any animals. Well guess what, we have the dog, two ferrets and a chinchilla. Neither of us want to find new homes for them. I've told her that several times already, sigh. No, it's not going to work out. My friends, and especially Vegetable Man have been warning me about that. I saw him today and we exchanged gifts, so my Christmas is pretty well all done with. The good thing is that my brothers weren't speaking to each other and last night they spent hours alone in the kitchen drinking beer and talking. So I guess they've made up.

Son and I (he's off work, finally tomorrow on Christmas Day) are going out to Mom's again on Sunday, like I usually do each week, but only she will be there. It will be fun to hear how the visit went, as my younger brother and family stayed with her and she got caught up on all of their news. It was wonderful to see the two little kids last night, I was totally charmed. They are my older brother's grandchildren so would that make them my grand neice and nephew? I think so, not sure. The little girl is almost six and the older boy is eight years old. Beautiful intelligent children, and very well behaved.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas or Holiday, whatever it is that you like to celebrate!

10 Comments:

Blogger dbdoberman said...

nothing worse than treacherous roads, especially during holiday party time, glad you made it safely and enjoyed your gifts already. That might not be a bad way to do it, frees up Christmas Day to do the important things, enjoying your family.

Have a very Merry Christmas Day, and the Happiest New Year.

11:16 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Merry Christmas PBS. Have a wonderful time with your family...and animals. May the season be festive for you... and here's hoping Boszilla retires this year.

3:18 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

BELLY CHRISTMAS, HOT HOT HOT!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

PBS I am overwhelmed by your Gift Box. I loved unpakcing it all. Thank you So much. I love the noisey Heron.... brilliant, I will take it around the schools with me when I am teaching.

I hope that you get some time to yourself to relax.

I wouldn't fancy driving in all that snow and ice.

Look after yourself and Thanks Again

6:33 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

It sounds like you had a nice time, and I am glad you got back home safe and sound.

Yesterday it was in the 40's here, weird weather we are having, I actually went to the store with no coat on, and the snow is melting.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Here I am reading blogs on Christmas Day and saying hello.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your poor son in retailing! That's work all right. I grew up in a retailing business. Glad you navigated home through such bad driving and hope you have a Happy Holiday!!!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Scooter Deb said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

10:41 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I know I'm very late but ditto!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home