Thursday, December 22, 2005

Half of a Day

Well, I had half the day off yesterday, anyway. I had stayed up until after 2:00 a.m. the night before (happily thinking I was going to sleep in) but stayed up cooking and reading and doing things around the house. After I finally went to bed, I lay awake wondering, should I really not go into work when I don't have permission to stay home? So even though I only got a couple hours of sleep, I got up, showered and got ready for work. I couldn't call BZ to ask because she doesn't come into work until later in the morning and calling her at home (and waking up her little kids) would definitely be a big no no. As in so many areas at work, I knew I was damned if I did stay home, and damned if I didn't. I parked the car on a meter on a nearby street, fully expecting to go into work, find the signed "permission" slip in my mailslot and leave for home again.

As you've probably already figured out, it didn't work out that way. The slip was not in my mailslot! So now I was really glad that I'd come into work as it appeared as if BZ was NOT okay with my staying home. But the car was parked outside on a meter. Normally I park blocks away in freebie parking. So I had to go and move the car, luckily I found a fairly close parking spot, and walk back to the office. I'm required to come in really early so nobody was there yet by the time I'd finished doing all of that. And I was annoyed at wasting money in the parking meter and very very tired. I hadn't prepared my clothes to wear to work the night before, like I always do, and so was dressed barely appropriately for the office. I had thought I'd be in and out before anyone saw me! But at least I was showered and clean. It was not a great start to the day and it got worse before it finally got better.

Only one co-worker asked me why I was in (had previously told most of them I was taking the day off). I had a meeting with BZ like I have every morning, and before that she was demanding figures of this and that. Her requests of me are always ASAP but she actually put that: "I need this ASAP" in one--which would make it a sort of super-ASAP, mega-ASAP or, go back in time and do it before I ask, request! So I was running and trying to get the figures for the meeting, good thing I'd started on in right away in the morning before she came in.

During the meeting she was firing questions at me and my poor brain was foggy with only two hours of sleep. And I felt rather disoriented because it wasn't supposed to be a work day! Finally she asked, "Weren't you going to take today off?" and I said rather meekly, by this time "Not without permission." So she huffed like I was being very non-assertive about it, which had been one of her many criticisms of me at my annual review. And it's true, so it hurt. By the time I'd gotten through that annual review (wrote about it in a previous post) my confidence was shot--and that was a criticism too, lacking self-confidence, and I was feeling roughed up. It felt far too much like the abuse of a bad romantic situation, where the other person picks out enough truths to really deal a low blow and then complains that you're lacking in self-confidence! And worse of all, many of the criticisms are true, or there is enough truth to them to really sting.

But I'm off the track of my present work story: So I told BZ that I wanted to switch the days, take half of Wednesday off and all of Friday instead of the reverse, as I had put on my "permission" slip. She agreed, gave me an armload of work and told me to do that first before leaving.

So I worked the half day and left to meet SLA at her new apartment. I took her out to eat lunch then we cruised around looking for 3-bedroom apartments! In the "town across the bay" where SLA lives and my Mom wants to live, they apparently don't advertise rental in the newspapers much but just put a sign out in the yard. SLA and her Houseguest had each found apartments in that way. So it worked out really well, I drove and SLA wrote down telephone numbers and addresses. Now I have two pages of numbers to call about apartments! The day ended well. Hope your day is good!

Y
OUB
ETTER
WATCHOU
TYOUBETTE
R NOTCRYY O
UBE TTERN OTP
OUTIM TEL LINGY
OUWHYSA N TACLAUS
ISCOMINGT OTOWNHESM
A KINGALI S TCHECKI N
GIT TWICE GON NAFIN DOU
TWHOS NAU GHTYO RNI CESAN
TACLAUS I SCOMING T OTOWNHE
S EESYOUW H ENYOURE S
LEE PINGH EKN OWSWH ENY
OUREA WAK EHEKN OWS IFYOU
VEBEENB A DORGOOD S OBEGOOD
FOR GOODNESS SAKES YOU BETTER WA
TCH OUT YOU BETTER NOT CRY YOU BETTER
NOT POUT IM TELLING YOU WHY
S A N TA C L A U S
ISC
OMI
NGTOTOWN

9 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Sorry your job is so bad. I think that you will get a new and better one next year.
Hope you have a time off..

8:02 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I did see something or other on tv about women treating each other this way. It's a carry-over from school where one girl is cut out of the pack. It's bullying really.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I go a parcel, I am gobsmacked.. thank you so much. I am going to open it on Christmas Day.... it is winking at me from under my tree... Oh thank you so much what a wonderful surprise.


I love Springsteen singing that song. Being a springsteen fan and all that :)

BZ is bleeughhhhhhh poor you I am glad you are going to get the time off soon.

thanks again you have put a big smile on my face today :) :) :) :)

12:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm with the majority...I am not liking that BZ much at all. I reckon our christmas present to you should involve removing said BZ from anywhere near you and plumping up the pillows on your bed as you snuggle down further and get some much needed rest and relaxation.

And thanks, so far my day is all good, but then it's only 8am here, so there's room for chaos lol

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours PBS :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Sorry you didn't get the whole day, but it sounds like you made the most of it. BZ sounds like a real pain, I hope you find somethign better after the year

1:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm hoping Bosszilla gets a bag of coal for christmas and a good foot up the ar#@ !

2:52 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Just remember what goes around comes around, and eventually BZ will get hers.

Hope you have a great few days off.

Oh, BTW, you've been tagged. :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger dot said...

I'm sorry that you're boss is being so horrible to you. I wish I could give her a punch in the nose...she needs it.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Your boss sounds like a bitch.
You should park on her foot to keep her from showing up at the office LOL

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home