Friday, September 16, 2005

Yesterday, a day of boxes

Yesterday was another ten-hour work day with no lunch. Today will be even worse because it’s the last work day before we leave for DC. I still haven’t received the final list of attendees in order to make labels and nametags. Right before I finally left work last night, we had another newsletter ready to mail so I had to download and make the mailing list for labels.

See, I told you we were busy! It’s more than busy, it’s hectic and frantic and all the other “tics”. Ex-big boss helped me engineer a box to fit our signs for shipping them out. I was dripping sweat, sticky from all the taping (of other boxes) and struggling with the huge thing all by myself and he must have taken pity on me. Normally I don’t like to be pitied, but when it meant getting some help, I’ll take it! Another co-worker helped pack and tape one of the folder boxes too. But otherwise it’s been pretty much on my own.

From this whirlwind of busyness, I came home and found a nice box sitting on my kitchen table. The two items I’d ordered were not due for another week or two, but a clue was that the box said “Royal Mail” on it! It was from Katya Coldheart, one of my very favorite blogging friends!

The box was beautiful wrapped up in wrapping paper. Inside the contents were individually wrapped up in beautiful fancy silver wrapping paper with coordinating lavender lighter-weight paper. It was so lovely that I hated to open the packages! But I certainly did open it and enjoyed the plethora of goods inside! There was a huge bar of Cadbury candy, and a large package of PEAR DROPS. I have found out that I dearly love PEAR DROPS! They are so yummy, even better than lemon drops.

I haven’t tasted the chocolate yet but certainly will soon. There was a beautiful fabric frame for a photo, and some nice smelling bath items which I used today in the shower! (the bath items, not the picture frame!). Thank you thank you Katya for making yesterday a great day to come home from work! Just like Christmas, with everything wrapped and packaged with such care.

About the colonic on Wednesday night (yes, I know—a horrible change of subject!): they are used to clean out your system. Health benefits are said to be: weight loss, better utilization of the nutrition in food, ridding the body of toxins, more energy and clarity, and a bunch more. I didn’t get any of those benefits from it, oh well. And even though the practitioner was very nice, I didn’t quite like a few of the things that I saw and experienced there. It just isn’t as tidy and clean as a hospital or clinic. She also didn’t have me sign the waiver (with all the dire warnings of horrible things and medical emergencies that could happen, and that she wasn’t responsible of ANY of them!) until after she was done with the procedure. I may have overreacted a bit, but that was disturbing to me.

So I wasn’t much impressed by it, although I have used herbal remedies that I’ve read about in books and heard from other people that have worked well. Massage is very nice, too. When I was working at a different job, I used to go every pay day and get a massage. Now that’s something to look forward to! It was as good, or better than a session of therapy with a counselor! The theory is that your past emotions are locked in your body and that massage helps to release them in a healthy manner, and I believe that’s true.

And I’ve been curious about hypnotherapy and the positive benefits claimed by those who have experienced it. I do think some types of alternative medicine can and do work well, just that colonic hydrotherapy is too dangerous to try again. Please read up on it if you ever decide to try it. I’m no health practitioner, but I don’t recommend it.

I would recommend what I call “eyeball” surgery. You know, that one where your eyes are corrected so you don’t need glasses or contacts anymore. I had it done five years ago and it was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself! They had dire warnings for that too, but it improved my eyes in every way, even night vision for driving. The only drawback is that my once dry eyes are now even more dry. I’ve been taking Bilberry with Lutein for that and it’s helping.

Got any herbal secrets to share: a special tea, like mint to help headaches, chamomile to sleep, or lemon and honey for sore throats?

14 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i'm glad you got the parcel safely and loved the goodies i sent, i've added you to my xmas card list already...lol

that bubble bath is out of this world, its my very favourite only to be used on special occassions...

enjoy...

and i would love to have the eyeball surgery but i'm such a wimp about it, i'd hate stuff to go wrong...

:0)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

The PK would love to have the "eyeball surgery" too but he's not a good candidate (he's got glaucoma) so he's been told they won't do it.

I sometimes drink what's called "Sleepytime Tea" before bed to help me sleep (sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't but I figure it can't hurt me)...it's all natural and has chamomile and other natural herbs in it too.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

The sleepytime tea is really good. Works like a charm

7:35 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I don;t use many rememdies. But cold tea bags placed on tired/iritable eyes works wonders. They also cure that runny thing that animals often have in thier eyes.

I love surprises.

7:58 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Oh I would love to get lasic surgery on my eyes. I have been wearing glasses since I was little, trifocals since I was 36. I can't wear contacts due to my latex allergy. I tried them and they caused me extreme distress, itching and blurring till I thought I would lose my mind. No thanks.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I take Schizandra for a three month period once per year. It's supposed to be good for the liver, but I get the unexpected bonus of unplanned weight loss (which I gain back over the year). From my experience, only the brand Nature's Herbs works for me, and it has to be fresh (no point in saving a partial bottle from one year to the next).

Also, beer is good.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

oooh i am afraid of contacts.. let alone lasik lol!!!

10:31 AM  
Blogger dan said...

have a good time in dc

10:40 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Yeah. Sleepytime teas are excellent. Chamomile puts me to sleep every time. Have fun in Washington. And tell GW I said hi.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

10 hour work day and no lunch that is just not right!

12:10 PM  
Blogger dan said...

oh yes, i forgot:

whisky works quite well on sore throats...for a while anyway.

12:52 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Okay. I must have a pear drop now. What are they like? I keep hearing people raving about them. I need details people, details.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

WOW, you've had 'lasic' surgery done? I wear contact lenses and occasionally glasses, i'd love to throw them away and have the surgery but it's still nearly $6000 dollars here and private health cover doesn't cover it :(

4:43 PM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

DC is just 45 minutes from me! could i bribe you to bring me pear drops?? yum!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home