Thursday, September 08, 2005

Better than eating too many onion rings

Work has been SO busy and the days are flying by. It's good that another weekend is coming up soon; not so good that my Washington DC trip is looming just over a week away! I've still not hemmed up the two new part of pants, in--did I tell you, a smaller size! Of course that might just be a manufacturer's difference, but I choose to think that the non-diet not hungry thing may be causing weight loss. Also, a blouse I wore on Tuesday fit me perfectly. It was a bit tight before. But of course I don't want to lose weight THERE!

The days are going by too quickly, but I'm waiting. I called the clinic yesterday and they pretty much said what I had figured, no news is good news. The doctor calls if the tests are bad, you wait for the results in the mail if they're OK. It's been a week already, so I think I'm getting the lab results in the mail, and that's good!

I've also been sort of bummed, lately. Bet you have already figured out the real reason why I’ve been not so happy recently. A few days ago I was going to post my lament and decided not to do it then, but since you know the story I guess I really ought to fill you in on the rest of it. In fact I had two dreams that I remember last night, and neither were happy dreams (strange how I can suddenly remember dreams again, I'm still drinking only one cup of coffee per day!). One dream was about the Vegetable Man and the other was about my ex, the two men that I've loved the most. I was crying in one dream and got drunk in the other, and a nice co-worker had to tell me home. Guess that really was a dream since I don't have nice co-workers!

As I mentioned, Vegetable Man and I are on drastically different work schedules and live some distance apart. Nightly rendezvous are out of the question. Once or twice a week will probably be it for connecting frequency, which is still quite a lot more than we have seen each other for the past ten years. It was a risk I knew I was taking. The risk was of connecting with him while he was on the rebound, and/or being considered the dreaded “friends plus”. I have always loved him at least a little, so was and am very vulnerable and in the past had purposely avoided his occasional come-ons because of it.

The problem: I don't think he feels the same way about me as I do about him, sigh. I REALLY do not want to be in a “friends plus” relationship with him, even though we were just friends for the past ten years. Does that make any sense at all? Sometimes it doesn’t, even to me! My feelings changed so fast, and then the circumstances suddenly changed—and here we are!

Why can’t this just happen nicely, it was both so familiar and strangely exciting to just lie with my head on his shoulder. He’s so familiar to me in every way, and yet not, because it’s been so very long. We both have changed in the past ten years. I wouldn’t do anything I did differently, but in retrospect it might have be wiser to treat the first farm visit as a sort of first date. But it seemed sort of ridiculous to be all coy and phony when I was feeling something else altogether! You know, be romantic only and sort of work up to the other part a couple of dates later. I just couldn’t do it and behave like we were on a first date because we know each other too well.

And yet I think it would have been the smarter thing to do, darn it. I'm afraid that I’m only a “friends plus” to him, which just makes me want to cry and hit something! When I first found out about it my happy little bubble popped. That must be a record or something, like less than two weeks of happiness. Yes, I could go on and on like this in the same vein for quite a while, but I’ll stop now and think about diet and food. Lucky thing I still have no appetite, despite the overeating of onion rings.

from my E-mail
The Miracle Toddler Miracle Diet-guaranteed!
People are always on the lookout for a new diet. The trouble with most diets is that you don't get enough to eat (the starvation diet), you don't get enough variation (the liquid diet) or you go broke (the all-meat diet). Consequently, people tend to cheat of their diets, or quit after 3 days. Well, now there's the new Toddler Miracle Diet.

Over the years you may have noticed that most two year olds are trim. Now the formula to their success is available to all in this new diet. You may want to consult your doctor before embarking on this diet, otherwise, you may be seeing him afterwards. Good Luck !!!

DAY ONE

Breakfast: One scrambled egg, one piece of toast with grape jelly. Eat 2 bites of egg, using your fingers; dump the rest on the floor. Take 1 bite of toast, then smear the jelly over your face and clothes.

Lunch: Four crayons (any color), a handful of potato chips, and a glass of milk (3 sips only, then spill the rest).

Dinner: A dry stick, two pennies and a nickel, 4 sips of flat Pepsi.

Bedtime snack: Throw a piece of toast on the kitchen floor.

DAY TWO

Breakfast: Pick up stale toast from kitchen floor and eat it. Drink half bottle of vanilla extract or one vial of vegetable dye.

Lunch: Eat a half tube of "Pulsating Pink" lipstick and a handful of Purina Dog Chow (any flavor). One ice cube, if desired.

Afternoon snack: Lick an all-day sucker until sticky, take outside, drop in dirt. Retrieve and continue slurping until it is clean again. Then bring inside and drop on rug.

Dinner: A rock or an uncooked bean, which should be thrust up your left nostril. Pour Grape Kool-Aid over mashed potatoes; eat with spoon.

DAY THREE

Breakfast: Two pancakes with plenty of syrup, eat one with fingers, rub in hair. Glass of milk; drink half, stuff other pancake in glass. After breakfast, pick up yesterdays sucker from rug, lick off fuzz, put it on the cushion of best chair.

Lunch: Three matches, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Spit several bites onto the floor. Pour glass of milk on table and slurp up.

Dinner: Dish of ice cream, handful of potato chips, some red punch. Try to laugh some punch through your nose, if possible.

FINAL DAY

Breakfast: A quarter tube of toothpaste (any flavor), bit of soap, an olive. Pour a glass of milk over bowl of cornflakes, add half a cup of sugar. Once cereal is soggy, drink milk and feed cereal to dog.

Lunch: Eat bread crumbs off kitchen floor and dining room carpet. Find that sucker and finish eating it.

Dinner: A glass of spaghetti and chocolate milk. Leave meatball on plate. Stick of mascara for dessert.

Well, hope your day is going a whole lot better and you are surrounded by people who love you!

12 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That's good news about the smaller size pants!!!

And as far as Vegetable Man goes, would you be comfortable bringing up the issue? It sounds like the two of you can talk openly to each other....and I know I'm not a "know-it-all" but I'd want to get it out in the open, one way of another, you know what I mean?

7:19 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope things work out with V-man. How about simply enjoying yourself for a while?

8:15 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Sigh! I can't even think of any words of encouragement for your veggie man situation. I hope things will work out for you.

I do like the toddler diet, though.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Awww, the Veggie Man situ sounds like hard work emotionally and you really do deserve more! Maybe it's time to talk....

9:41 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

bah the only thing my pants get is bigger...lol

as far as veggie man goes you need to sort out where you stand, like stacy says it seems you should be able to talk openly with each other...

then decide whether to continue or move on...there is nothing worse than having a multitude of emotions for a guy who doesn't feel the same...

we've all been there, but i hope it all works out for the best...

*hugs*

9:53 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Have you been filming my daughteer at mealtimes?!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Hiya,
All the comments I was going to make with regards to the V-man have already been said.

Look after yourself I hope you work all this out.

11:07 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Oh, I know the friends plus feeling, it sucks.

I hope that whatever is happening between the Vegetable man and you goes in the direction you want.

Too bad we can't open men up and look inside their heads and hearts, it would make things so much easier. '

12:01 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I'm with anvil, but if it is difficult for you to not think about it, I would say talk to him about it. Otherwise it might put stress on a perfectly good friendship down the road.

Exciting news about the pants!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Advice from a people-wrangler. Talk, talk, talk. I really believe that most of our problems can be traced back to not talking about something because it was either too hard, or assumptions got made already. Assumptions are the absolute worst things for relationships, romatic or otherwise. Now I have to go sit in my rocker with my knitting and corncob pipe.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Pooh the vegie man :(...tell him he doesn't know what his missing!
Actually, i do think chatting with him about is good. It will leave any uncertainty or room for doubt in your mind his feelings towards you. Once you know, then you can decide best how to handle him.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yay for the smaller pants and the comfortable fitting blouse!

Are you sure HE doesn't feel the same way about you? How do you know that he's not just 'pretending' the whole friends thing as well because he's too scared to ruin what you've got already or he's feeling vulnerable too? He might be in exactly the same head space as you.

I agree with Stacy. You two sound like you've got a fairly open line of communication. It must be driving you nuts not knowing for sure, or at the very least, not being able to say how you really feel.

It's a difficult situation to be in for sure. I think you're going to have to wear your heart on your sleeve and come out with it. Your sanity's at stake here.

As one of my favourite bloggers would say...."Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!"

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home