Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Too much water yesterday

Spent the middle of the day at a clinic I’ve never been to before to have the ultrasound test done. It was as dark as night during the morning and right before I had to leave work for the appointment the rain came down in a deluge. I had a raincoat with a hood but still got totally soaked while walking up the hill to where my car was parked. My shoes and shoes and pants were so wet I could have wrung them out.

I found the unfamiliar clinic easily and it had parking right in front of the door. In fact the parking was so easy that I got there 45 minutes early. Not so good for the type of ultrasound I was having; I had consumed a tremendous quantity of water, as instructed by the doctor. Sitting in the waiting room in soaking wet clothing from the rain was too uncomfortable to bear along with desperately needing the ladies room. Right before I was called (of course!) and after an hour of waiting, I gave in to my natural urges. Then I tried to make up for it by quickly drinking another bottle of water that I filled from the water fountain. It all worked out OK but for a time I was afraid they would need to reschedule my test. Oh the joys of it all! Sloshing within and soaked on the outside, too.

It was a busy, busy day at work again. I finished writing the three pieces to go into the folders and found out one box of folders were the wrong color. They had sent us several large boxes of boxes of folders and sandwiched in the middle was an odd box of the wrong ones! So had to call the supplier and get them to come and swap folders ASAP. Then the ribbons that I had another supplier redo arrived, so all the ribbons are finally done correctly. Then I found out two boxes of label tape that we are going to use for nametags at the first event were the wrong size and had to dicker with that supplier to send us more tape. I did the new sessions report and registration codes used and started updating the budget for Bosszila. One of our newsletters arrived and I had to download the mailing list and merge and make labels to get them out. I stayed later than normal to make up for the time I had missed during the doctor appointment. Vegetable Man called me while I was finishing up at work. And you guessed it, I ended up going out to the farm, driving down the freeway through rain and fog.

When I got there the rain had stopped and we picked fresh vegetables from his garden. Then we went inside where he fixed me a fantastic 5-course meal on the spot, totally vegetarian! The guy should start a restaurant! The food was easily and quickly put together but so innovative and delicious that I actually got quite stuffed full. Then he brought out a dessert he had invented, it wasn’t vegetarian but was really light and tasty, called “Saint and Sinner”. I wish you could taste this before I tell you what was in it, because it tasted like a light and fluffy cheesecake and I could not guess what from what it had been made. Once I tell you, it will seem just too simple and obvious, like all his food, but only once you know how it’s been made!

From my E-mail
I recently went to the 30th reunion of my preschool. I didn't want to go because I've put on, like, 100 pounds!" --Wendy Liebman
---
Quote from telephone inquiry "We're only hiring one summer intern this year and we won't start interviewing candidates for that position until the Boss's daughter finishes her summer classes. -Unknown
---
"Ben Jones the actor that played Cooter on "The Dukes of Hazzard" is upset about the new movie version because there is too much sex and profanity in the movie. Isn't that just like Hollywood to take something like the "The Dukes of Hazzard," a beautiful work of art and turn it into something cheap? --Jay Leno

Wheelbarrow Bet
The strong young man at the construction site was bragging that he could outdo anyone in a feat of strength. He made a special case of making fun of one of the older workmen. After several minutes, the older worker had had enough.

"Why don't you put your money where your mouth is," he said. "I will bet a week's wages that I can haul something in a wheelbarrow over to that outbuilding that you won't be able to wheel back."

"You're on, old man," the braggart replied. "Let's see what you got."

The old man reached out and grabbed the wheelbarrow by the handles. Then, nodding to the young man, he said,

"All right. Get in."

And in honor of the returned heat-wave:
It’s so hot that…
The birds have to use pot holders to pull worms out of the ground.

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs.

The cows are giving evaporated milk.

The trees are whistling for the dogs.

You can say 110 degrees without fainting.

You eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.

The temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.

You discover that in August, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

You discover that you can get a sunburn through your windshield.

You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

No one would dream of wearing shorts and sitting on a vinyl seat!

Your biggest fear is, "What if I get trip and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

Driving breaks are measured by bottles of water rather than the need for gas.

Now that your yard has burnt up, you no longer need to spend time mowing.
________

Wondering what’s in “Saint and Sinner”? Put some lemon (or lime) yogurt in a small bowl, top with that horrible spray-on whipped cream. Sound gross? Not if you like the taste of lemon or of cheesecake!

Have a great Tuesday!

13 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Oh, how I hate tests. The prep for so many of them is worse than the tests themselves.

I liked the Dukes of Hazzard/Leno quote

6:22 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i'm glad your ultrasound went ok, when will you know the results...???

your stationary order sounds a complete shambles, isn't it always the way when you need something urgently they send completely the wrong thing...

glad you got it sorted in the end...and got to go to the farm, that cheesecake sounds yummy...

have a great day...

:0)

6:45 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Hmm. I'll have to try that Saints and sinners thing.
Love the joke about the preschool reunion!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

What a faff at work! I'd have spent the rest of the day in a foul mood after that!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

try the lime yoghurt thing with chocolate whipped cream---that's saints and the devil.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

What a day, what a meal ! thanks for the comment earlier - it all got to me

11:31 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

it always rains at the most inopportune moments. But, as usual, you had a positive attitude. You are so great.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oooo, brings back memories of pregnancy ultrasounds, man i hated them.
Well, it sounds as though your day turned into a pleasant one, and the best.....someone cooked for you! Sounds great :)

4:13 PM  
Blogger dan said...

hope the results from the scan go ok

4:30 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

I think as a kid I watched every single episode of the Dukes of Hazard... I now wonder why???

10:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

pbs: Sorry to hear you had to go through all that crapola. But I must say, a dry terrycloth robe and a 5 Course Meal is the best medicine!!!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I know everything will go well with your ultra sound.
Whats wrong with whipped cream out of a can.
Ok some habits are hard to break
Have a nice day.

12:04 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Hey PBS...haven't been around becuase I'm having electrical problems at home. I'll have to go out on the streets to pay the electrician for this one. Glad to hear biopsy was good...and Veggie Man of course. I hope he's giving you some gas money as well!

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home