Saturday, September 03, 2005

Conversations

Last night was a fun and even a productive night. I met SLA and her houseguest at the bar/laundromat/restaurant right after work. I started a load of laundry that I had brought in the car before I went in to see them. Before leaving I also filled up my water containers while finishing the laundry. They bought me dinner (for my birthday, which we were celebrating after the fact) which was fish and curly fries and a couple of beers. The fish at that place is very good, light and flakey but I couldn't finish it all and brought some home.

While there we had a great conversation about movies, I told them about the penguin movie, and we also talked about work. It turns out that I am traveling twice this month. September 19-23 to Washington DC and September 28-30 to our convention location to do some last minute setup things. So right now is kind of the lull before the storm of traveling. Are you doing any traveling this month?

We also talked about travel jams and delays. Houseguest had just come back from her hometown and the traffic had been horrible. First there had been one accident on the freeway, and further on, another accident. I told them about the strange winged pieces on the flatbed trucks and their insights were a lot like your comments! I also mentioned another traffic obstruction that had happened to me on the way to work this past week. I had been in a hurry to get to work, as always, and there was a slow down, a traffic clog up ahead of me. Turns out there was a car in the right-hand slow lane, which is OK to go more slowly there, but also a truck with a GOLF CART on a trailer alongside of the car in the left lane! We were all in a hurry, on our way to work and here was a guy with a golf cart blocking traffic! It almost got ugly but finally he turned off to do his golfing or whatever and we zoomed past to work.

My brother is coming up to see my Mom today. I'll go out the normal time tomorrow and see them all. Another friend called last night and left a message about us going to a rodeo today! Hope I get to go too, haven't been to a rodeo in years. I also want to fit in the normal Saturday Red Mug trip with the scone club. I would assume we're meeting since we missed last week. Have a super Saturday!

And more excuses to file for future reference!
Speeding Excuses
Philadelphia's Highway Patrol officers hear all kinds of creative excuses that drivers give for speeding. Here are some of the officers' favorites. By the way, none of them worked.

A man told the officer he was rushing to the hospital because had been stung by a bee, and was allergic. "There's the bee right there," he said, pointing to his dashboard. The officer looked. The bee was not only dead, but in a advanced state of decomposition.

A man was doing 70 mph on the shoulder of I-95, avoiding the bumper-to-bumper traffic. After a third of a mile, he was stopped by an officer. He jumped out of the car, brushing off his pants, and told the cop he had dropped a cigarette on his lap. "I was looking for a place to park," he explained.

A speeder said that he and his wife were trying to have a baby. "My wife is ovulating," he told the officer. "I have to get home right now."

An officer stopped a man doing 80 mph. When he asked the driver whether he had seen the speed-limit signs, the man responded, "I went by them so fast I probably missed them."

A man going south on I-95 was stopped near Washington Avenue doing 79 mph. "My engine misses, and I'm trying to clean out the carburetor," he told the officer. For good measure, he added, "If I don't go this fast, my car won't go at all."

"I'm due in traffic court," one speeder said. "If I'm late they're going to enforce the bench warrant."

When an officer told a speeder that the speed limit on the Schuylkill Expressway was 50 mph, the driver responded, "Officer, where have you been? It's 65 now."

One speeder said simply, "I'm trying to beat my wife home. Don't ask."

An elderly person was stopped after doing 73 mph. When told he was getting a ticket, he asked the officer, "Is there a senior citizen's discount?"

8 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

your birthday dinner sounds yummy, they always look at us weird when we don't have stuff to take home, we then have to explain we don't have the facilities to re-heat etc...

i'm not travelling anywhere this month, next month we have a vacation to the city of york planned for a week, that should be fun...the log cabin in really luxurious and in the middle of nowhere...

have a fab weekend...

:0)

6:37 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

My goodness what a busy sausage you are! And, your birthday celebrations are still continuing!
Have a super weekend :)

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those jokes! I'm off to Cyprus on Wednesday, that's about all the travelling I'll do until next year now! Have a fab weekend

8:35 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I am glad you hada good time with your friends last night.

I am not travelling this month, that I know of. However, this is my faveourite month of the yea. I love Autumn and all the changes that it causes, the colours etc.
I also love the Indian summer that we usually get in this month. At the end of the month I celebrate my Wedding anniversary and my birhtday with in three days of each other. So I have a lot of things to look forward to.

Have a good day

8:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was funny. I hope you enjoy the sites around D.C. Quite spectacular. I was there in April. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Once again you sound as if you're so busy your head must be spinning! lol

Love the traffic excuses at the end there, especially the one about the man trying to beat his wife home. I want to know why! lol

3:07 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Love the speeding excuses... enjoy your weekend!

9:20 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Lucky traveler!

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home