Saturday, September 17, 2005

Saturday Survival

Well I survived yesterday, but barely. Strange (or maybe not!) that I had just written about the time I almost quit and walked out, because yesterday was time number two for just about walking out of that job! Now talking to my son and he claims I told him all of it last night, which is not true. He spent the entire evening in his room on the computer. Oh—-I had to quit blogging and go and take a shower so I could cry. There’s no privacy in this tiny little house. I wish he’d be more supportive, as in, just listening. We ended up in a huge fight over it, just what I need when I’m already upset about work!

I’m just so stressed out and need a nice long walk or something, coming up as soon as I post this. So I will probably only be reading a few blogs this morning. I don’t think I can even go much into details of what happened yesterday, would just get upset all over again. But in Reader’s Digest form: basically I received the final list of people shortly after NOON, and found out not long after that ex-favorite co-worker had not even printed the background for the nametags. She was going to do it but didn’t, worse, she waited to tell me of that fact after giving me the list. I could have done it on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, well ahead of time so there wouldn’t have been such a time crunch on Friday. The backgrounds take a long time to print on the slow color printer and they kept printing crooked besides, to add to my stress. Friday morning I spent doing the rest of the reimbursement forms which Bosszila wanted each individual name pre-printed on the form, and there were different types of forms for different people, and each on different colored paper. They turned out nicely, if I do say so myself!

Ex-favorite co-worker is the only other one who works hard at that place but didn’t appear to be doing that yesterday. She spent almost the entire day in Bosszila’s office sucking up, talking, ordering clothing online, they even were watching movies at the end of the day while I was frantically tried to get things done and packed by 5:30, the Fed Ex pickup time. My dear co-workers also had a party with a heavy (I know this because I had to sign for it and quickly stash it in the refrigerator) chocolate cheesecake and all sat around for an hour or two. I suppose I should have joined them but I would have never made the deadline. Ex-favorite co-worker was already getting huffy and blaming ME for the fact that the labels were taking so long. Mostly my co-workers avoided me as much as they could. One went golfing yesterday afternoon and two brought their kids into the office. Yes, it was a really festive attitude and place—except for me, I had a huge deadline to make!

I had fantasies of just walking off the job; let them try to recoup the cost of my airline ticket and hotel. I was tired and hungry, sweaty and thirsty and hated every single one of them except the big boss and the nice co-worker who helped me pack a box of Thursday. Late yesterday she helped put some of the finished tags into the holders, too. It gave me great pleasure to think of one of THEM having to sit at the registration table (even though I think it’s fun to talk to the attendees, any of them would think it far beneath their dignity) and having to carry and unpack boxes. But it’s not to be, as I didn’t walk off and am (shudder, double-shudder) still traveling with them to DC to do my job. I have a couple of minor things to do today, so need to stop in to the office. Hope none of them are there, but that would be really unusual and surprising.

I haven’t had time to do any of the personal stuff I needed to do for the trip, like going to the bank, so will have to do it today. Also, I tried on my new clothes last night and one pair of pants is still too big, good thing I hadn’t hemmed them yet. Also three of the blouses just aren’t appropriate for work, don’t know what I was thinking; they’re too low cut even for the evening events. And worse, not as flattering as they looked in the store mirrors! So they need to go back today and I hope to find some better, more work-oriented ones to bring. I haven’t even started packing yet either. Yes, I’m just a basket case over all of this but have calmed down now. Writing it out and telling someone usually does the trick for me, thanks for listening!

From my E-mail
Mother-in-Law jokes (normally I don’t like them, these are sort of funny, though)
Last week my wife and I went car shopping, and the salesman asked if I wanted a car with an Air-bag.

I said, "No thanks. I already have a mother-in-law."
---
I never forget a face, But in my mother-in-laws' case I'm willing to make an exception.
---
She: This wine is described as full bodied and imposing with a nutty base, a sharp bite, and a bitter aftertaste.

He: Are you describing the wine or your mother?
---
Bert took his Saint Bernard to the vet.

"Doctor," he said sadly, "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to cut off my dog's tail."

The vet stepped back, "Bert, why should I do such a terrible thing?"

"Because my mother-in-law's arriving tomorrow, and I don't want anything to make her think she's welcome."

Spelling Difficulties
The teacher says to her new class, "For our first lesson, each of you will stand up, tell us your name, what your father does, spell what your father does, and then explain it to us. All right, Billy. You go first."

Billy stands up and says, "My name's Billy. My father's a lawyer, l-a-w-y-e-r, and he defends people in court."

The teacher says, "Very good. All right, Benjamin."

Tyrone stands up and says, "My name's Benjamin. My father's a pharmacist, f-a-m... f-a-r-n... f-n..."

The teacher says, "Benjamin, you go home tonight and learn how to spell pharmacist. All right, Angelo."

Angelo stands up and says, "My name's Angelo. My old man's a bookie, b-o-o-k-i-e, and if he was here, he'd give you nine-to-five odds Benjamin ain't spellin' pharmacist by tomorrow."

A New Game
Back in the days of the Roman Empire, the famous Emperor Nero instituted a new game. The players would take those little disks you set your glass on in order to protect the furniture, and see who could get the most distance rolling them across the floor.

They were the first roller coasters. Back in those days, the disks were made of iron, and they would bet on whose disk would roll the farthest.

They called them ferrous wheels.

She Doesn’t Do Windows
An unfailingly polite lady called to ask for help with a Windows installation that had gone terribly wrong.

Customer: "I brought my Windows disks from work to install them on my home computer." Training stresses that we are "not the Software Police," so I let the little act of piracy slide.

Tech Support: "Umm-hmm. What happened?"

Customer: "As I put each disk in it turns out they weren't initialized."

Tech Support: "Do you remember the message exactly, ma'am?"

Customer: (proudly) "I wrote it down. 'This is not a Macintosh disk. Would you like to initialize it?'"

Tech Support: "Er, what happened next?"

Customer: "After they were initialized, all the disks appeared to be blank. And now I brought them back to work, and I can't read them in the A: drive; the PC wants to format them. And this is our only set of Windows disks for the whole office. Did I do something wrong?"

Yikes! Hope you have a super Saturday!

13 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

Ouch! what a crappy day! A walk and some shopping should help I hope, but failing that, try one of these: hug a baby (or in your case, a puppy), eat Starbucks chocolate blueberries, have a long, hot bath with lavender something in it, put your favourite scent on your PJs and have a nap, go to a strange but classy bar and have a glass of wine.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Your son is a young male. Don't expect too much active, supportive listening. It's just the way it is. I really hope that things straighten out for you at work. This is not a pleasant situation.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I really feel for you in working in such an unjust/infair environment. I am sorry that this is happening to you. I really hope that the clothes shopping today acts like a "pick-me-up" Look after yourself. I loved the E-mails jokes, don't understand the PC one though ;) Have a better day

11:26 AM  
Blogger Restless Angel said...

Totally feel the lack of job-related love, as the rope is frayed at my feet, no thanks to mine.

How about some chocolate and an alchoholic beverage or two? It may just do the trick :)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

hope things get better!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

i can feel your pain :) Nevertheless, hunt for a new job at the same time. Once you secured that, walk out when it is crucial. See how they freak out!

That's a good plan??? LOL

8:27 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Slap the crap out of the ex-good-co-worker...you'll feel so much better...trust me. Of course she'll see your butt in court...but hey...you go to court...you have your say and day...(in court that is). In a perfect world it would be "soooo" great for you to be able to get another job and walk out on these jokers...and moon them on the way out...or a reasonable facsimile of course! Power to the people!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

what a tough day. I hope that things are going to be better this week. Just hang in there.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Awww sweetie, what a rough day you had. Hope the shower and the walk helped to alleviate some of the stress for you.

*hugs*

2:43 AM  
Blogger dan said...

you can go to the bank on saturday???

now that is a novelty.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ohhh, you definately need Lorna's cure! Stay positive, your better than them ((((((hugs)))))))

4:36 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

What a crock, they are all taking advantage of you because you actually work so they can sit on their laurels and be the lazy creeps that they are.


Sounds like there is no teamwork at all there.

Crying in the shower, how familiar, I do that too.

Hope you have a better week coming up and a good trip.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Sorry you had such a rough time this past week. Hopefully after this trip, you'll some how feel refreshed enough to job hunt and eventually you can stick it to them good.

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home