Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Some interesting thoughts

Well, at least I think the thoughts are interesting! That makes one of us. Over the past couple of weeks I've been reading (currently while well-bundled up) the Seth/Jane Roberts material. This material was published in the 1970's and some of the "new age-y" philosophies are credited/blamed to the Seth material that came out during that time.

I'd run into this line of thinking many times before, as I'm sure you have: that a person creates their own reality. In the past I've always dismissed that philosophy almost immediately. The "proof" that it doesn't work, to me was that people are starving, suffering, dying--and why would they chose that? It just didn't make sense to me. That was about all the thinking I did about it and then closed the book on that entire subject.

Lately I've re-opened that line of thinking along with opening and reading the Seth books. As it turns out, the philosophy is a lot more complex (and intriguing) than I first had considered. Seth says that we create our own reality, but that it's created from our thoughts and emotions--not necessarily what our conscious "wishes" are. Fear and negative thinking also create reality. Ah-ha! Now that makes more sense to me and I can trace it in my own life.

Now why would I choose to have this Year-From-Hell? Well, I didn't choose it, exactly, but my thoughts and feelings came into play and then thoughts and feelings about things that were happening made OTHER (negative) things happen. Yes, I can see how it might have worked out in this way, even though I wouldn't have chosen it on purpose.

I won't go into re-tracing the entire year for you, but will just give a couple of the more major examples: I WAS feeling very negative about my job early in the year, in fact I was looking for another job. I had just decided to grimly hang on for another year when--I got injured on the job. Five weeks off and I was dreading my return. I wasn't back at work long at all before I got fired from the job. That was one way of leaving that job! Not the way I would have consciously chosen, but it worked.

Because of the injury, although it looked like a penniless summer at first, Worker's Comp came through with some money to support me and a job-finding person to help me find another job! Again, not exactly what I would have chosen to go through, but it worked out!

As for the continual stuff happening to my house (now THERE'S a long list I won't go into right now!) so it can't/isn't getting sold: I fell in love with this house and am still very attached to it. I wouldn't chose to sit here shivering, nor to have the basement flood of last year--but it worked--I still have my house! Funny how things have worked out, once I take a good look at them and an honest look at what my own attitudes have been.

So, have you just written off the "you create your own reality" theory or do you think that it really operates in some strange fashion? Got any good examples of how it worked in your life?

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

These philosophies always seem to find a convenient way out or escape hatch. This time it's that you really do get what you want deep down. I'd say that it was more of a case that some (ie you) are making the best of life because, in the end, that's all that you can do.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Have you read the book (or seen the DVD) of "The Secret"? In that book they talk about the law of attraction and how if you say something, you've put those words out into the universe and you can expect some kind of comeback concerning them. Or something like that. The only example I can think of is when I was wondering how Neil was doing and lo and behold if he didn't get in touch the following day. I hadn't heard from him in 6 months! It wasn't very nice either lol

I try to only say positive stuff now, I'm practically chanting about winning the lottery these days. The universe is not listening cos I still haven't :( lol

(It's quite a powerful book and worth a read, or better yet, get the DVD, shows all manner of well educated people (physicists even) that believe in a similar philosophy to what I think your talking about.)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I definitely think there is some merit to "choosing your own reality". It's like the people that are always so negative and say things like "that will never work" and then sure enough, it doesn't work...but did it not work for legitimate reasons or did it not work to make you right? Interesting thoughts indeed.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I don't know...I am of two minds about the whole thing. But, to be honest...I pretty much see life as just being life. Some days, some years, are excellent and others suck the big one.

6:48 PM  
Blogger molly said...

I definitely think we have a big say in how our lives go. True, there are many things over which we have no control, but many things are within our power to move one way or the other. Someone said the only thing you really have control over is your attitude. That can, and does, make all the difference.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

In some ways I believe it; perception is reality and we can control our perception to some degree. But the only example I can think of which is anything close to what lisa says about The Secret, is when I sat down and wrote what my long-, medium- and short-term goals were. I started to achieve those goals soon after I wrote them down.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A nice post and very human as we all have feelings of this kind. Thanks ever so much for supporting Trevor with your kind comment at my place! lol!:)

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the only thing we have any control over is our reaction to the things that happen to us. If something bad happens we can wallow in self pity or we can say "well what can I learn from this?"


How many times have you worried about something that "might" happen and then it does. It's almost as though it's a self fulfilling prophecy.


A lot of things do happen that we fervently wish hadn't but more often than not it's all part of the bigger picture. As long as I've known you you have been trying to sell your house while never making a secret of the fact that you love it. I hope somehow you manage to hang on to it. I feel it's meant to be.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree more with anvilcloud and molly. You don't have control over everything that happens to you, but you do have control over your own actions.

I also think that sometimes there are no reasons for things that happen, at least no big, grand reasons. But I do think we can give a positive purpose to the bad things that happen to us. I don't think it's easy, but it's possible.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I need a drink now, too much thinking.
I think (there's that damn word again) the world we each live in is based on our personality.

A shy person would live a quiet life and find a job that would give him that comfort.
Most people work in jobs that suit their personality and they date people who are close to what they are like.
I don't know how that would work with the shy ones.
Maybe they could email each other.

If you look at the people around you, you would find that their jobs suit their personalities, as do their recreational activities.
That's the world they live in and that's the one they created through their own actions and desires.

You see many people trying to change who they are but they're never happy because you can't change who you are but you can change your outlook on life and the way you live it within you're own personality AKA your own personal world.

As for why people would choose to die.
They don't, they choose to live in a way that could cause their deaths.
Junkies and hookers are a good example, people who choose to be cops, fireman or joining the military.
That is what they choose to do but dieing is a byproduct for some.

We choose to be in a certain place in life because we want to be there and sometimes things happen, good and bad in this reality we help to create.

You always wanted a nice house.
It’s a pain in the ass now but that’s not of your creation but because shit happens to nice people and not because you created it.

You know, thinking sucks.......

Stay bundled up there.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Hickman said...

It sounds a little like Norman Vincent Peale's philosophy, The Power of Positive Thinking.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

You have such a nice normal life.I mean I know u aren't satisfied with all things in it...but at least your not a screw up like me,hun.
I'm ashamed to even mention my disgusting post.
I'd rather come here and see how decent ppl like you live.
huggs

4:12 AM  
Blogger dan said...

i think the media creates a lot of our reality.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I do believe in the theory. Rather than hog your comments with all of the instances, where I feel proof is provided, I'll just give you a link to one of the posts I wrote. Click here. here.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home