Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Not a Super Nanny

It's been a week already. That certainly went fast. Well, most of it. Thanks for the great cold-cure advice! When I asked that question, it was more of a "tell me about yourself" type of question but I quickly realized that there was some really good advice in the comments. I still have a sore throat and cough but am feeling so much better!

Last week when really ill I drank lots of green tea, opened a can of chicken noodle soup. I normally would make the soup from scratch but was just not up for all of that messing around. There are things like frozen food and canned goods still around for when the kids come to visit. The canned soup came in handy.

As I'd feared, Worker's Comp is not too pleased about the job situation. They're planning to do a job shadow to find out what, exactly I'm required to do. That's good of them to want to protect me but the visitations are confidential and I can't just take a "civilian" in with me! Maybe I could walk the WC agent through and just show and explain what I do without having a real family there?

And there ARE some issues about the visitations that are not ideal: there is a lot more walking and standing than they had told me. I'd asked many questions about it during the interview and the employment intake and was led to believe that the job was mostly sitting (and I could put my foot up) but it's not. Kids are lively and I have to follow them around. Families and foster parents are dealing with carloads of children and don't arrive on time (lots of standing around and waiting for everybody to get there).

I can't tell you very much about the situations, but they all are interesting and every family is unique. The children would break your heart. They are such beautiful children! My non-politically correct Mom would call most of them "half-breed" children, ethnically mixed. But those little angel-looking kids often behave like demons! Have you seen the TV show Super Nanny? Jo would have her hands full with ANY of these families.

In fact I had to speak to my boss last night about a family that has visitation in their home. The youngest child involved is so out-of-control that he actually attacked me (habitually attacked any and all of the family members)during the last visitation. It was in the family's home and everyone is required to remove their shoes so I was sitting in the living room with only a stockinged foot and my cane to get up--actually quite vulnerable to an attack like that. The child did back off but I realized that even a young child can really hurt somebody-the older siblings always bear marks and wounds from the youngest. Yikes! I really hated to bow out from that visitation as the boss has enough problems trying to schedule them all, but missing a few weeks may make me unfamiliar enough once again so that child actually listens to me again like during the first visitation, instead of ignoring what I say and attacking me, the fate of the rest of the family.

Yeah, I have to say that my friends and WC were kind of right about this new job. It's less than ideal, physically I can barely do the walking and standing required. But it's very interesting and at least a bit of money coming in.

So a natural follow-up question to all of this, as I love a dialogue, not a monologue: How has your job been lately?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

Just give the kids lots of booze until they pass out and then you can rest.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

"The children would break your heart"

Oooo...I don't think I could handle that!

And that kid that attacked you needs some SERIOUS discipline...and I think Super Nanny would give it to him!

That's kinda sad...:(

My job? Right now and until the election is OVER, it's stress, stress, stress. I cannot wait till it's over!!!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like a great job, but one that might break your heart.

My job is stressful most of the time, but I'm starting to adjust to the changes from when I was transferred a few months ago.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's interesting how involved WC is.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a shame about the job's lack of suitability for you as you seemed to be enjoying it. Hopefully they can find something else for you that is more appropriate to your situation.


The little boy that attacks...some families do it hard don't they?

5:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in! This too shall pass my friend!!!!:)

12:31 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Oh man, you don't even want to know how my job has been. Talk about stress...I'm starting getting sick to my stomach on a daily basis.

However, I just don't think I could do that job you are doing. I feel like I'm a heartless bitch sometimes but when it comes to children like that my heart just breaks for them and I feel so sorry for them all. I couldn't handle it. I admire you for even trying!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Me again...hey will you email me? I would like to add you to my blog and I don't know your email address to add you. You can email me at: terri.fallin@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon! I miss your comments on my blog.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home