Friday, September 14, 2007

Something funny

Yesterday I ran my legs off because it was so busy at work. Several people are traveling and I had to box their items (heavy books, etc.) to ship, plus BZ had me working on a proposal and there was a lot of work to be done in a short period of time. Why is it that it's dumped on me--I'm running around trying to get stuff done while most other co-workers are having a pretty leisurely day? It's because my job description covers all of that, while theirs...is very loose and doesn't give actual job duties. But oh well, on to the funny part of yesterday.

BZ did come into work. She was limping and frowning, had to drag herself around instead of the usual crisp clop clop clop of her high heels. I'm also still limping around, especially after all those heavy book boxes. BZ and I both walked through the hallway or into the copy room together several times--both limping. It was hilarious, I had to keep myself from chuckling about it. She would frown at me each time as if I was copying her, but hey, I was limping first! It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry is sitting, waiting to see someone who has a limp. Jerry gets up and his leg is asleep, so he's limping around. The office woman laughs because she thinks he's mimicing the boss' limp. It was kind of like that at work yesterday. We even limp on the same side, her left foot and my left leg. It was just too funny!

During the very busy Thursday, an old friend called. I have known her for nearly 30 years but we hadn't seen each other much at all lately. We used to do lots of things and our kids played together. She wondered if we could meet for dinner so I invited her over to my house instead. She hadn't seen it yet. I made three batches of those pudding cookies (to have different kinds) and she brought a Subway sandwich to split--and also a bottle of wine. So we had a really good time.

She loved the house. We got into one of my bottles of wine, too. She has a regular job at the university but works on a PT basis in wardrobe for incoming acts at our arena complex. She told me some interesting stories about nudity and stars. Then she asked if I wanted to be on the list to get called for wardrobe duty at $15 per hour. You betcha I said yes to that! Even though I'm not such a great seamstress. The work is mostly evenings and weekends. She said that newbies have to do things like match and lay out shoes, and only after I had done it a few times would I get to actually dress the stars. How cool is that?

When she was ready to leave I loaded her down with herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers and squash. Since it was 10:00 PM and dark, we had to use a flashlight to pick the stuff. She was wearing cowboy boots and accidently stepped on my favorite gourd, a little stripey guy. Oh well, it's hard to walk around in a garden at night.

Today I'm going to bring the rest of the cookies to work. There is a meeting in which the facilitator asked me to ask BZ if we could supply some cookies and juice (with the usual coffee and ice water, of course) but she said no. So these cookies will give them something to nibble on at least, and staff can eat them too.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Mmmm...cookies!

Well, it sounded like you and your friend had a good time...good for you!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Slip some laxatives into a cookie for BZ. I'd love to see her trying to limp really fast to the loo. Now that would be funny.

Glad you had a good time with your friend. It must be nice to have some pleasant company away from your work situation.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I have some very strange images floating aroun my head of everyone limping around the office.
I like Gypsy's idea.
I am gladd that you got t osee your friend and the new job sounds like a ral bundle of fun.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Ok. We are expecting some interesting stories now...

Naked stars. I want to know all the grisly details.

And I REMEMBER that Seinfeld episode!

4:24 PM  
Blogger deni said...

I'm back!!!

I am trying to catch up with everyone.

I hope you are doing ok, and that things will look up for you soon.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Did someone already tell you to keep your cookies at home?

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yumm cookies... and yeah gypsy's idea.. ditto it!!!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

LOL @ gypsy's comment : Laxatives..lol

I broke my toe last week so I can relate if i have to go to the " potty" ASAP..lol

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home