Sunday, September 16, 2007

I know where I want to go!

What a great day I had! Hope you had a good Saturday, too. We have gotten four days/nights of cooler weather. When I got up early on Saturday, my garden's leaves were wilted. It had been touched by frost. Time for the harvest! I took a plastic dishpan out and filled in with red and green tomatoes. There were a few cucumbers left that I hadn't given away, and best of all--The droopy wilted leaves revealed two SQUASH! So I will get to taste my own squash after all. I was a bit disappointed when SLA and I couldn't find any, but they were hidden in the thick vines and tall, broad leaves. It was a good year for vining vegetables, because it was so hot. It was sad to see the baby watermelons struck down by the frost before they were ready, though. I had to go out again with a pan to harvest the rest after Mom and I toured the Urban Gardens.

Mom and I had gone out to eat after hitting a couple of rummage sales. She found three brand new jigsaw puzzles and I found some containers to pot up my herbs for the winter. At the restaurant Mom pulled out her checkbook and offered to write me a $500 check right there. I told her that I didn't need it quite yet (but finances are tight this month. That's the real reason I've been inviting everyone over to my house, I can't afford to go out but still want to socialize.) She looked at me closely and said, "But you WILL tell me if you need it?" I laughed and said, "You will be the first to know, Mom, thanks!" I have to admit that it was very tempting, right in front of my face like that. But I'll not tap into my family/friend financial resources unless I truly truly need to do that. Anyway, after the lunch (Mom paid, even though we normally always split the check, but I had the $2 coupon from the rodeo, so helped a tiny bit) she decided that she did want to see the gardens, as long as there wasn't a lot of walking. Her and me both! I can't walk very far either.

The Urban Garden Tour was wonderful. First, we went to the old school with the chickens and talked with their owner. She'd had them for four years and had lost one occasionally, to a raccoon, to a skunk, and a neighbor had once called the police. But she said it's basically contigent upon getting along with the neighbors, as really the city zoning doesn't permit farm animals in town. I was a bit disappointed in that because I'd gotten a little fired up about those chicken tractors that I saw at the Harvest Fest. But then I started to talk to her about living in the old school, which is a housing co-operative. They have vacancies! Oh how I would love to live there. I had applied a long time ago, when my son was still a minor. But then I went and purchased a house instead (a bad habit of mine) so when they called, I turned them down.

I'd be the oldest one there, though, and after my difficulties at work I'm a little gunshy about that. Some younger people just think they will continue on in life being exactly how they are in their twenties--they have a big surprise awaiting them! Age and time change everyone, no matter how much they exercise or how well they eat. Hopefully these are more open, loving types of people. The chicken owner seemed to be, and she was probably middle or late twenties in age. I'm thinking she she may feel that I deliberately came to the Urban Garden Tour to quiz her about living at the co-op (should be called the "coop" ha ha) school, though. But really I didn't, at least not consciously, I just wanted to see the chickens right in the middle of town. As we went back to the car and drove to some urban gardens, my Mom asked, "Where did you know that girl from?" Mom thought I'd previously known the chicken owner from the way we chatted about chickens, gardening, the housing co-op. "I've never met her before in my life" I said, "Never even heard her name before" (Chicken Owner had an unusual first and last name) so maybe there is hope to live there if I sell the house. The Co-op interviews at least three candidates for each available spot and I might have the age thing against me.

Well, the latest real estate listing runs out this week. And this time I'm not going to panic, "The house isn't even listed!!!" and re-sign with that same guy. I'm going to find someone else from a company that actually advertises their open houses, and doesn't expect that a sign in the yard for one hour is going to pull in people just driving by. I know where I want to live when I sell the house!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

We have had cold snaps too. I did all my canning and freezing last week or so. I'm SO glad to have all of that done. And my herbs are all drying out in my basement. In a month or so, Liv and I will go down there and chop them all up and put them in small glass jars for Christmas gifts. It is a perfect gift, really. It comes from the heart, I made it with my own hands and it is useful. How much better can that get?

Enjoy your squash dinner....

3:49 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Listen here missy, I am still the same way now as I was when i was twenty.
My knees and joints just make more sounds now lol

We have had to bring in the veggie crops early to because of the cold but I still have about 20 tomoto plants still out there.
I need them cold for when I make salsa.

Yup time to get a new agent.
You were nice to keep him one more time but nice stops at the wallet and you need to get rid of the house to save yours

Have a nice day

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i wish we were having cold spells.. there's a typhoon down on the southern end of Japan and it's bringing all this HOT muggy air with it...

12:08 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Just keep the good thoughts coming. You never know...having someone older means more stability usually and quiet too. Those are things that they would consider on your side. I know exactly what you mean about the younger people...but it isn't always true...there are some that appreciate the experiences the older person has to share. I did when I was younger. You've a lot of things that interest you...and that might be a plus where they are concerned.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Dave and I lived in a co-op for 8 years. We loved the sense of community and the feeling that we were contributing to something worthwhile. I wouldn't worry about the age thing---I think it's not a big deal for the young, and it's certainly more interesting to have multi-generations in a co-op.

Lovely that your mother is so supportive.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Hey there! Just catching up with you since I was out all last week. Sounds like you had a good week though. The Co-Op sounds interesting. I really hope things work out for you! You deserve it.

11:08 AM  
Blogger deni said...

I hope you find a good agent who will really work for you.

If I put my house up for sale, I will list with the realtor who found it for us, he worked so hard for us, and the realty he is with is a well known one.

Mmmm, fresh veggies sound so good.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I have that birthday next week and yet I still do not feel grown up. The Coop sounds a very good idea. I hope it becomes a possibility.
The weather has turned colder over too.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

But there is a wisdom that comes with age, PB. And wisdom can complement physical abilities quite nicely. I say you'd make a fine addition to the co-op.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ok, you may have to explain to me exactly what a co-op is. Maybe its something I'm familiar with but we just call it something else here in Oz. As long as its something you really want then I hope you get a spot. Good luck with the new realtor.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home