Monday, March 05, 2007

Working twice

Well no one did. Have mercy on me, that is. They were too busy and tired from digging out their own messes. I don't blame them. So I did some more shoveling and connected a trail from our back door to where I dug the jeep out. I kind of needed to do that because today is garbage pick up day and I needed to get the garbage out there. Once again, I hope the jeep starts, as I have it parked in the front and it was cold and windy last night. Guess I'll have to clear the in-back spot out better so I can park it there and plug it in.

I've decided to try for a new job. This will be a second job, not one to replace the more-than-full-time one I'm working now. I bought my living room furniture on my credit card. Have paid $500, $500, $200 and $200 and still owe very little less than the original prices. Yikes! Credit cards are dangerous, I knew that, and had only gotten this one for emergencies and travel. But then I got tired of looking at a bare living room. Working two jobs got me out of poverty, so working two again will get me out of this little problem, too. I hate owing money, but have yet to find someone who enjoys owing money! I need to knock that card down to the occasional used book that I buy on Amazon.

I'm figuring that I could work weekends (sniff....) and a couple of nights during the week. After a while I'll have some extra to pay the card off, or down enough to quit socking me so good. I sure wish the Postal Service jobs were still available. That was a sweet job, paid well and was fun, too. The retail job I'm trying for will pay barely over half what the P.O. job paid. But it will really help, just more slowly.

Have you ever double-deckered a job? Worked 40-50 hours at a regular job and took on another job too? I'm thinking lots of people do....

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

No, I can't say that I've ever worked two jobs. I admire those that do, though. My dad did the entire time I was growing up.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I worked three part-time jobs in college on top of full-time classes, but really it felt like less work than my full-time job now.

I've always been afraid that if I took a second job I'd have to work overtime at my first job and they'd conflict. I don't think it's ever been that bad, except for last year when I worked a lot of overtime. But I was contracting and was paid for every hour I worked.

I'd do it now, but then I'd never see Matt and I don't think he'd be very happy. I'm still hoping when we sell our house we can pay off most of our debt.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

When I first moved to this state I had no social life and even less money. I decided to pull out all the stops and took on one full-time, 7 day per week job and two part time jobs (two bartending and one cocktail waitressing). I never made so much money in my entire life as I did back then, but my body suffered and I ended up sick as a dog.
It only lasted a few months (the three jobs) but I had enough to buy a car and many things for my apartment.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Wow! That's tough. Can you convert your credit cards into a regular loan at much lower interest?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

I worked a security job while on active duty down in El Paso. Nights, just cruising construction sites. Of course being in the Army is like having a 70 hour work week anyways...

1:41 PM  
Blogger deni said...

Yes, been there done that, those 13 and 14 hour days can really get to ya after a while, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I used to work for my fathers brother and prick to work for and cheap.
I started at 7 am and worked until 11 pm.
I wasn;t getting much for the work i did and after a year I left disapointog my father.
Well he could be disapointed as far as I was concerned.
I can relate to the furniture bills. I am down to the nitty tgritty on mine and cant wait to pay it off and go back into debt lol

Good luck on the part time job search
Have a nice day.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Salha said...

whoa thats tough. credit cards are nasty things. i killed mine already after bringing them to a holiday once.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I did in when I had my first professional job. I had to pay for all those college loans, so I was teaching during the day and working at a Target at night. It nearly killed me.

And yeah...credit cards are just plain scary. We got in too deep once and dug ourselves out. Never again.

7:58 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I never held down two jobs...and I don't envy anyone that does. I put in 50-60 per week on the one I had that nearly killed me. (drama) I'm not working now...and it's great...just Mr. Sumo's income...ouch...but we get by. Don't get too tired...we don't want you getting constantly sick, and that can happen.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home