Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Temp to Term

Well, it's decided. We are going to hire our temp at least until August as a term employee. I'm glad for her, and she is the hardest working of the lot and thus the most deserving.

I'm glad for her, she's much much younger, cuter, and most importantly--far more aggressive and outgoing than I am. I know what the bosses at my workplace like, and it's bold, audacious, never mind the details action. And my job (library, accounting) is all about details. The co-workers with the crazy big ideas have always been the ones to zip ahead of the rest of us, and quickly, while we detail people are left with the difficult task of implementing their unlikely schemes. Then they are off to present the next big crazy idea while we're still struggling with making the last one a go.

Since I've been working at this place, I'm no longer fond of big ideas and grand schemes. Most of the time it's someone's way of showing off to the bosses while others (me, for example) get to do the grunt labor to make the idea come together. The author of the crazy idea gets all the credit, even though they have done none of the work. But at least somebody liked my cookies!

8 Comments:

Blogger Frederick said...

There is nothing worse than the old, "change for change's sake" mentality. I deal with it in the military all the time. Some commander comes in and wants to look good, and how does he do it, well I changed this, and this, and this...(but how much more really got accomplished?)

6:48 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Why can't all us bloggers just hit the lotto where we live and move to Blogger Island, dammit???? ;)

The first thing I said this morning when I got to work was "I am SO ready to retire!"

Of course, I'm only 38....so unless I DO hit the lotto, I've got a long way to go!!! ;)

7:16 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good for her and bad for you, it seems.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, hugs! People who know my job always say, "You're soooo busy, I hate to..." or "If Boff only knew what you do!" I hear it for the unsung (at least from the admin, who counts) worker!

11:00 AM  
Blogger deni said...

I like Stacy's idea.

I could go for early retirement.

Hope things don't go for you the way you think they will, that would be a bummer.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I totally understand your worries. I'm the detail person here too. We seem to keep buying new applications and yet it's still just me to make it all work. I hope she doesn't take over and become your boss some day.

1:14 PM  
Blogger katie said...

The detail people are often the unsung heros, but I have to believe that bosses know how important they are. Hope things work out well.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Hello PBS, again I am sorry that they are doing this to you. I think that there is definately a need for a BLogger Island

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home