Monday, November 13, 2006

Back to work in the snow

It's been so long since I've signed into Blogger that I hesitated with my password!

Speaking of long, today is the end of a nice long weekend, three days. We were off Friday for Veteran's Day.

I read in the paper that some elementary children were confusing veterans with vegetarians, WTF? So they had a special program to explain what veterans are--and probably did not serve vegetables, as that would further confuse the kiddies. The program for Veteran's Day was a really good idea, as kids still went to school on Friday. It wasn't a holiday off for them.

I'm really trying hard to not be judgmental about this but I just can't do it. Don't these people read books or even watch the news on TV? Nobody had to tell me what a veteran is when I was a kid; we knew that and many others things from, oh, about the age of four or so. We certainly didn't learn that as a third or fourth grader in school. Sigh, that disturbing ignorance is one of the reasons I home schooled my son for several years, as many as I could. But, to be fair to the schools, that's the sort of thing one should on their own, or at least at home from their parents commenting on the news.

I woke up last night and the dark was lightening, you know, like before the day comes. So I thought it was nearly time to get up, even though I didn't feel at all well rested. A look at the clock in the kitchen and it was only 1:30, but a look out the window told the story, we're blanketed in snow. If a car had gone by on the road I could have determined it right away, without looking out the window. Vehicles sound different, muffled when there's snow cover.

Usually I quite enjoy my dreams but I had the weirdest, bordering on nightmarish dreams last night. It one awful dream I put my little dog (whom I love dearly) into a cooking pot of hot water and then, with a big butcher knife, nearly slit her in half so she'd fit in the pot better. She didn't seem to be in any pain but I suddenly realized that she was dying. I'd killed her! Then I woke up. I'd had other horrid dreams like that. Hope you had better dreams last night, and have a decent Monday!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

Aiieee! You said the "S" word. You said it and now if it "S"es at my place it will be all your fault!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

Do ya think Dubya eats all his Veterans?

9:39 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Yikes! What an awful dream.
We haven't had any snow yet, but I know it will come eventually. Yuck.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Isn't it sad! Our school sold poppies and did not explain why to the children. I taught my own lesson so that they knew why they were wearing them. It is a very sad state of affairs when parents do not tell thier children about it

you said the "S" word!!!!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'd like some of that 'S' word here actually. It's only ever s'ed twice where I live and then it was just a dusting. S would be great, but hey, we're almost in summer! lol

What a horrible dream! What on earth goes through your mind girl??

And Fizzy I'm glad you gave your own lesson about the poppy wearing thing, I find it hard to believe it's not part of the school history curriculum these days.

3:35 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I think the stressof the recent elections have giving you the willies.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home