Sunday, November 05, 2006

Fresh, hot cornbread

I just finished a piece of freshly baked cornbread. It actually had corn in it and grated cheese (two kinds) on top, so was a meal unto itself. I like trouble-free cooking and eating! Cornbread can be made so many different ways. How do you make yours?

*UPDATE*
Recipe for cornbread. This is a recipe for northern cornbread. I actually like the southern version better. It doesn't have any sugar in it (I don't think) and is different than what we make up here. There are many, many ways to make cornbread:

Basic Northern Cornbread
Stir together these (below) four dry ingredients:
2 cups cornmeal
1/3 cup white flour
1 to 2 tablespoons of white sugar (optional)
a pinch or two of salt

Then add these three (below) items into the dry ingredients:
1 3/4 cups of milk
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 beaten egg

Mix together and pour into greased (shallow) cake pan. Bake at 400F degrees for 20-30 minutes until a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean. The sides of the cornbread will be browned and slightly pulled away from the cake pan.

Other items can be added to the cornbread batter before baking, like this time I added about 2 cups of frozen corn. And after the bread was done, I added about 1 1/2 grated cheese (cheddar and swiss) to the top, so it would melt in.
_______

As you can see, it's an easy easy recipe to make. My Mom used to make it for my Dad and his buddies while they were out on the lake ice fishing. She'd bring it out to them hot from the oven to warm them up.

Today is a nice warm day. I walked to the gas station to buy the Sunday paper without even putting on a jacket. Yesterday that was not the case, I wore my leather jacket and gloves and still was cold when outside.

I was checking my E-mail and opened up this joke:

Peeing Emergency
Two women friends had gone for a girl's night out.

Both were very faithful and loving wives, however they had gotten over-enthusiastic on the Bacardi Breezers.

Incredibly drunk and walking home, they needed to pee. So they decided to stop in a nearby cemetery.

Having nothing to wipe with, one of them thought she would take off her panties and use them.

Her friend however was wearing a rather expensive pair of panties and did not want to ruin them, but was lucky enough to squat down next to a grave that had a wreath with a ribbon on it, so she proceeded to wipe with that.

After the girls did their business they proceeded to go home. The next day one of the women's husbands was concerned that his normally sweet and innocent wife was still in bed hung over, so he phoned the other husband and said,

"These damn girl's nights out have got to stop. I'm starting to suspect the worst. My wife came home with no panties!"

"That's nothing", said the other husband, "Mine came back with a card stuck between her butt cheeks that said: "From all of us at the Fire Station... We'll never forget
you."
_____________

Have a great rest of your weekend!

9 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

I love the joke very funny.
I don't know what cornbread is, but like corn and cheese and fresh bread so I am sure that I would like it.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, that was pretty funny.

5:01 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

My mother's family are southerners so we don't make it with sugar. My grandmother's version doesn't have any flour just cornmeal. It's good though. my husband likes it this way...

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
1-2 tablespoons bacon grease
1 cup milk...or adjust to thickness.
Bake at 425* F. until quite golden.

We use an iron 10" skillet hot with the melted bacon grease. After mixing all the above ingredients...add the hot bacon grease from skillet and mix quickly. Add mixture back into hot skillet and bake. He won't eat it without a sweet red onion.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

My cast iron pan hasn't seen a load of cornbread in a long time. Maybe it'
s time to drag it out of retirement. Yummy!

9:46 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Ha! Great joke! I love cornbread, though I've never tried to make it. I like it a bit sweet.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I'm with Chris Rock on it: "Cornbread...aint nothing wrong with that!"

I personally like the sweet variation but I'll eat it either way. Lately I just buy the kind that's already mixed together, just add egg and milk.

I can't believe there are people that have never had cornbread! It's a staple here in Texas I think.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

It sounds like something Mum used to make at home. She called it Johnny Cake and we ate it with maple syrup.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i love that joke, never fails to receive a giggle...

and i'm not a fan of corn bread, but i loooooove biscuits...fresh and hot and dripping in butter...

mmmmmm, i'm hungry now...

:0)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Thanks for the recipe. I need to work out what cornmeal is but then I will have a go. Sounds really yummy.

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home