Friday, September 08, 2006

shaping up

The new coffee table and the two end tables were delivered yesterday! And best of all, they look great in the living room. The place is shaping up, still some things to get and do. I've got several painting jobs but was waiting for summer to be over before tackling them. And the lawn is getting long again. Son has been busy with school and work and hasn't touched it for weeks. I could mow it, but then it would miraculously become MY job instead of his forever more, and we had an agreement. Funny how that works...

I gardened quite a bit last night. The weatherman said it would be our last nice day before temperatures would drop 20 degrees! He may be right, as it's cold and rainy this morning.

The temp at work hand wrote the labels for two boxes we were sending out. I had told her to type them. Although it sounds nitpicky, I always type them. We've had bad experiences with mis-deliveries and mis-billings for hand-written labels, although some people in the office handwrite them and maybe she saw that. Am I micro-managing here? But I'm the one who has to fix the problems caused. She has a difficult time typing, for some reason and I think she just decided I was being unreasonable. Guess I'll have to talk to her to find out, but I don't want to be a bad or unreasonable boss. My criteria is that I wouldn't ask her to do anything that I wouldn't (or hadn't) done myself. Would that include cleaning our booth displays? I've shied away from asking her to do cleaning-type jobs and end up doing them myself, like cleaning the kitchen and our conference room.

It's Friday, yay yay yay! Have a good day and a great weekend!

7 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I would just ask her why she handwrote them and then explain why you prefer them typed.

And as far as the cleaning jobs, why don't you just ask her to help you? Then neither of you will get stuck doing all of it.

And I was wondering, is that part of your job description?

7:41 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

No, it's not part of my job description which is why it's an awkward topic! Technically we all are to clean up after ourselves but nobody else ever cleans the kitchen or conference room. And then I get asked to "fix" it or "prepare" it, meaning--clean it up!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I agree with Deni. Explain why labels need to be typed not handwritten. The biggest problem with managing people is telling them to do things and not saying why it's important.

Getting someone to help clean is pretty hard if it isn't in their job description.
Doing a crappy job of the cleaning would probably result in not having to do it.
Eventually they will just assign someone else to do it..

8:49 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Pictures! We need pictures of the fabled tables!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Have a nice weekend. BTW, I like the photo - you don't look at all creepy.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

As far as the handwritten labels are concerned, I think because she's a temp and hasn't been around long enough to understand why labels should be typed. You're not being nitpicky, you're being efficient and trying to help others be the same. To have another mis delivery or mis billing is just yet another hassle for you to have to deal with. Just my two cents.

Years ago I used to end up cleaning up the kitchen at work because noone else did it...eventually I put up a sign "Your mother doesn't work here...Please clean up after yourself"....that had more effect than the memo I tried beforehand but still the messy critters always turn a blind eye, lol.

4:25 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Been there done that...I would get disgusted and just clean it up.

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home