Monday, September 11, 2006

brrrrr, and brrrr again

Today is the anniversary of the day that changed so many lives--and ended many. It's great to read the beautiful tribunes that some of the bloggers, like Lisa and Michelle have written.

Brrrr, and brrrr again! It's cold in here. It's cold outside. Where did our nice hot summer go? For the first time I used a blanket instead of just a sheet like I did all summer for sleeping. I also turned the heat on and made the not-so-good discovery that my bedroom has no heat vents! Well, at least none that I can find and I don't remember seeing any either, come to think of it. I could have covered it/them with boxes under the bed or with the two dressers or with the file cabinet or computer table. Or they might be in the ---shudder shudder--- closet, a place I've been meaning to clean up more, soon. I've done some straightening up in there but there are still boxes on the floor. Maybe the heating vent is there under the boxes, I hope so.

Poor son came up several times last night to complain about the furnace noise. I didn't think it sounded any louder than a normal furnace, and I had checked things out when I first turned the heat up last night, because it was the first time we've turned on the heat here in the new house. We're used to electric heat, which is very very quiet, so that might be it. Or, most probably, it's because he's down in the basement and very near the furnace. But sleeping nearby the furnace sounds quite nice right now!

Anyway, I let him turn the heat back down in the middle of the night last night, so the furnace shut off. Why does 60F not feel too bad outside but INSIDE it's so chilly? Actually, I used to keep the indoor temp at that when we were poor because heat is so expensive. But now with a better-paying job to pay for it I'd like to feel a good 75F, which is quite a bit warmer than presently. Son will just have to get used to the furnace noise so his Mom doesn't freeze up here! Probably he has by now, like I said, last night was the first night that needed some warming up.

I may change the planned work outfit of today to a sweater! Hope you have a good, warm Monday!

11 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh PBS i feel for you. I'm such a cold freak, i can't imagine what it must be like without that little bit of added heat. I guess the furnace noise is just something you will all have to get used to. It's just a noise thats a new one, after a while it will fade into the background.

Have a super Monday :o)

6:24 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

Really? You actually turned on the heat? I am fighting it. In fact, I kept the window open a crack last night and it was a bit chilly, but too bad! LOL!

8:43 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Oh yeah I turned the heat on! It's 47F out right now and dropped to nearly freezing last night!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

It's down to about 65F in the daytime here and colder at night. I've been resisting but it won't be long before I have to start our furnace up too.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It begins to be the time of year where we hold off on the heat. We like to wait until the end of October but probably never quite make it. However, we are cold-tolerant people and live at well below 75 and even 70 most of the winter.

9:03 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

You make me glad I moved south.

*snicker*

I sure won't miss those cold, cold, PA winters.

We still have temps in the 80's here.

But at least the humidity isn't as bad.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Today is a day to remember those who should never be forgotten.

Its geting cold here to but I am not ready to giver up ,y shorts just yet.
I'll just wear my jeans over top :)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

OMG I was just about to take a hot shower. It's so cold in my room I was sleeping with a wool blanket last night. I guess it's time to take my AC " finally" out from the window..That sucker was giving me stress all summer, fearing it would fall out bcause it's tilted so much.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I'm trying to branch out and read more blogs. Yours was recommended and I am glad I stopped. Nice one....

9:32 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

We had really hot and mumid weather yesterday that ended in a huge thunderstorm that broke directly over our house. My son hit the roof when that happened lol.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I can't believe you are running the heat already! My A/C is still in use. However, we haven't used our heater in 2 years now. We bought a wood pellet stove and that's all we use for heat now. I love it and it heats my entire house. Of course I live in Texas but I do live in the panhandle and it gets into the teens so that's pretty cold, just not as cold as up north for sure!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home