Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Small change

The interview went very well, thank you for your vote of confidence! Here are the details:

Yesterday morning I parked close to work on a parking meter. I could not afford to do that every day or even all day but since the meters don't have to be plugged until 8:30 a.m, I had 1 1/2 free hours of parking. I left work around 9:10 or 15, walked the short distance to the car and hurried home to change into my selected suit. I dared not wear the suit to work as it would have been a total tipoff as to what sort of "appointment" I was attending! Needless to say, I had to stop back home when done with the interview to change back into what I'd been wearing before returning to work!

The suit looked wrinkly so I had to spot iron it. Good thing I'd set up the iron and board in the laundry room awhile back. I had to change shoes and earrings and pull on nylons. Probably a detail that you don't especially want to hear: I shaved my legs again before putting on the nylons. I'm a fanatic about smooth legs! Also put on skin cream here and there to smell freshly showered (yes, I had showed in the morning after getting up, but that was around 4:30 or 5:00 a.m.). Redid face and redid hair--briefly wishing that I'd had it trimmed so I could wear it down.

Added a couple of pages to the "Kudos" book and off I went, glad that I'd checked out the location and parking previously. Even though I'd allowed for plenty of time, by now I was running almost late. But arrived at the office ten minutes before the scheduled interview, which was perfect.

The interview was easy, there was a conference table full of people and names to remember but the questions were so easy! There was none of that, "Tell us about a time you disageed with the boss." or "Tell us about the worst job you ever had, and why." sort of tricky questions. But before the interview began, the HR person (who was the one who had called me) told me about the benefits--good, and the salary--bad. I would be taking a 30% cut in salary! I almost stopped the interview right there. No way would I take a job at such a pay cut, but decided not to burn my bridges and to use this interview as a practice interview.

I even passed around my "Kudos" book at the end of the interview. I'm not sure that's a wise thing and may not do it for a job I really want. We got sidetracked into talking about the Police Academy for quite a bit!

The funny thing is that I don't think they picked me for the job! Despite the money difference it seemed very positive. They were going to call their selection by the close of yesterday, and there was no call for me. We all got along well at the interview, they seemed impressed with my skills but I told them frankly that I had been hoping for more money. Then the director mentioned another job that was coming open soon--that paid even less! Would I be interested in that job, he asked. I had been hoping they would up the pay scale, but no luck on that. I am doomed to stay in the job I'm at for a while.

Another funny thing is that they seemed so small potatoes compared to where I work now, a national firm. They're just a small non-profit office with simple, basic office tasks for an administrative assistant. But I think I would get along much better with them, they seemed to be "just folks" and not the type to put on airs or try to be better than others. And even though it was a small office, without a lot of staff, there was a nice mix of ages and sizes!

Oh well, it was a disappointment but not a total loss. I met some new people and I'm going to send them info on the Police Academy along with my "thank you for the interview" letter! Have a good day!

7 Comments:

Blogger katie said...

Well you seem to have the right take on it- It was great interview practice. To bad they weren't offering more money!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Hey, it NEVER hurts to make new connections! :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

(Laughing) After interviews in Florida were over at 5 pm I changed in the back seat of my rental car into shorts, sneakers and a T-shirt! But your plan is what I call "Great Planning"! Good luck on everything!!!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I say things are always meant for a reason..Bigger and better are yet to come for you :)

8:35 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Great trial run. Oooops, I shouldn't use that word with someone who wears nylons.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

it never hurts, and they might think of you when a better paid position comes up too...

maybe they will rethink and up the salary to get you...

:0)

2:50 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Oh...sorry for the money snafu. If the money is right one can usually make a bad situation at work...liveable. You just have to keep reminding yourself it's worth it for the paycheck.

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home