Thursday, July 13, 2006

No cocktails yet

No cocktails yet, but I did see that neighbor (N3) last night. I was out clawing through the part of the garden I'd dug up earlier. The soil was dry from no rain and the grass and weed roots came out easily. Now, if the digging was just that easy! N3 said that her guy had come over during the day with his gas-powered weedwacker, no luck. Those are some tough weeds.

One end of the garden is a lot of beautiful yellow daisies. I kind of like them and want to keep them--but without the head-high grass. I already have a bunch in a vase in the house. The rest is mostly regular old grass but mixed in there is something we used to call "Goatsbeard" when we were kids. It's a round puffy ball of seeds, about the size of a baseball. We used them for decoration around the house and even spray-painted them different colors, like silver or gold to sell in our vegetable stand. I kind of like those too, but they're really mixed in the regular grass.

N3 and I decided that sadly, I probably will not have a garden ready by this year. VMan (and I've done it too, in the country) have killed off plots of grass for a garden by covering them with a black tarp or black plastic. That won't look so good in the city, but then, head-high grass doesn't exactly either.

N3 had neither a cocktail nor a cigarette in her hands this time. And she met my son, who was mowing the lawn. She didn't see, or at least comment on the two cages of pets outside. When the weather is nice, I bring out the chinchilla and the ferrets to enjoy the fresh air. The weather has been very hot lately, though, so I keep them in the shade and make sure they have enough water (which I do anyway, of course, but more diligently when it's so hot). I even took Duggie out to the garden, because ferrets love to dig. But he was too distracting while I was trying to work. He didn't want to dig but wanted to run across the lawn instead. Ferrets are kind of like some (most?) people in that they're not satisfied where they are but always want to see somewhere else. I find that I'm getting less like that the older I get, however.

Work has been crazy, hectic, exciting. And there's another day of it today. I've actually been looking forward to going to work lately! I think it's because I was off so much for the move(s) and because things have really stepped up there. Have a great day!

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Good for you! Glad to hear things are going better for you.

And you know, this may sound silly, but since I can blog again, I swear to God I am a happier Peanut Queen...both at work and at home! :)

6:38 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yeah, it's getting late for gardens, but you could begin to get the ground ready for next year.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I have never had a garden.. just something I know I wouldn't be good at.. or maybe I would maybe I should try it!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I think you should just get things ready for next year. It would take the pressure off of trying to have a garden. And you could take time to work at things instead of rushing..

8:23 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I hav just read your last three posts and it sounds like you are really enjoying your new home. I am so glad. You deserve it. YOur neighbours sound freindly too. I love hearing you talk about your garden I have always loved reading about your gardens in the past.
Have a good weekend

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home