Saturday, July 15, 2006

Certainly a mix

Whew, what a day yesterday was, both good and bad. Did I say that I was liking work? Hmmm, must have jinxed something there. BZ told me that one of the new hires will have my office. It's true that I knew I was going to be moved to sit at the reception desk at the front, but that was after our office move in October!

I found out Friday afternoon that I will need to move out of my office next week and sit in the front! I was very upset and depressed. What about my two large plants, I can't keep them in the front, there's no light. There's certainly no light there because there are no windows and BZ is in a battle with the building maintenance people so they decided not to replace the three ceiling lights that are out until after we leave! I hate working in dim light, and it has a crappy low-budget feel to it. There's no room or space for my bulletin board or the cool calendar that Fizzy sent me.

Also, there's not room for my work files in the front desk area. I'm leery of putting my work files into a "common" area because last time I did that some of them disappeared! I found out later that favorite coworker had taken all of my event files. She's the event manager, didn't she have her own files on all the events? And that left me with nowhere to go to find important information about those past events--that's why I kept the files! Now I need to go to her to retrieve information from my own files, and she won't actually give me any documents (so I could copy them) but verbally tells me--usually that it's not important that I know that information! She won't give the files back either, BZ told her she could have them.

Yikes! So I was majorly sad, angry and depressed as I sat at home waiting for the blinds lady to show up. First she was coming at 5:00, so I hurried home, didn't have time to cook and eat anything, just made some lattes. Then it turned into 7:30 when she would be coming. At 8:15 she called and told me that she hadn't eaten yet so was going to get dinner! I think she finally arrived after 9:00 (I get up up 5:00 AM and had a rough day, so I was getting tired by then). She is so cheerful and competent. She has a great attitude, and although I didn't tell her about work, I soon felt much better. It took a couple of hours to put up three blinds in my bedroom and four in the living room. The house looks so much better now without pieces of material hung over the windows!

I've decided that to remain sane I simply cannot dwell on the horrid situation at work. It will be humiliating to sit in front after having my own office with a window and a door. It totally looks like--and I think it is--a demotion. But on the bright side of it, I will be a very well paid receptionist! And I certainly won't be invisible to co-workers any more.

I'm soon off to rummage sales to look for furniture for the living room. That will be fun! Have a great day and weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You always seem to be able to find an impressive way to cope with life's grenades. Good luck with this one.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I’m so sorry things turned out like this—I definitely can empathize with you in so many ways. (Ugh, I actually had written out a response to your post in word that I was going to copy and paste onto your blog, but while I was tweaking the wording, I lost it!) I truly wish I could help in some way, come up with some brilliant suggestion, but can’t think of anything.

I do, however, suggest that since you have to work up front, that you put on a cheery smile and act as if you like the situation, so nobody will realize that you truly feel humiliated (as I do, in my situation now)… and despite all the other factors (including your plant, and losing “your space”, and not being able to have any space to call your own, and someone stealing your files), maybe you’ll be able to psyche yourself up enough so you will actually enjoy it. My heartfelt sympathy for everything that you mentioned, and good luck!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm i wonder if it's possible to bring your own furniture in to where you'll be working? Perhaps you could find some cheap furniture at a rumage sale.

3:16 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

If the pay is good...then the other doesn't matter.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Some how that doesn't seem right. You kept the files and if you hadn't she would have them to steal.
There should be some concideration for the person that keeps them informed

3:13 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Sucks you lost your office. But you do seem to make the best of what comes your way.
Hope it works out for you..

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home