Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Meeting some neighbors

We hadn't even moved in yet when we met our nearest neighbors. They are always out in their yard mucking around with this and that. The first day I met them they had laundry strewn out the back door. I don't know what was up with that and I didn't ask. I see and talk to them just about every time I go outside. They seem to always be going to church and/or washing one of their cars in the middle of their/our lawn. They are sweet though; as our welcome to the neighborhood they hacked down our head-high grass! And for that I was very grateful.

The wife of the nearest neighbor couple (no kids, just a large dog) seems to be good buddies with an older widow from across the street. She often comes over when she sees nearest neighbor and I talking. I'm not good at telling ages anymore but she looks like she's in her 60's. She's full of good gossip about everyone on the street, but also prejudiced, as in her disapproving of "those people" who have moved in the end of the block supposedly bringing drugs and crime. She is a PT manager or something of a trucker restaurant not far from here. She's pretty strong too, helped me pull out the huge and heavy real estate sign when the company didn't come to get it yet (and they still haven't, it's under my deck.)

I met the third batch of neighbors when I was outside trying to garden, which consisted of trying to dig through thick sod in the raised garden bed. The nearest neighbors had chopped down the grass in it. Third neighbor came with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I was dripping sweat, it was a hot day and the effort of digging through sod was pretty grueling. The third neighbors have beautiful gardens. She grew up there as a child and bought the house from her mother, who still lives there in the downstairs part. Nearest neighbor also has her Mom living with them, but I've not actually met her mother yet. Must be a trend nowadays to be roomies with Mom.

The live-in boyfriend of neighbor three (N3) soon came over to join the conversation. He volunteered to cut down the weeds in my largest garden, the only place the nearest neighbors hadn't done. He broke the weedwacker when he tried though, the same thing I had done to my brand new WW. So then they volunteered to rototill the plot when it gets cooler out. Apparently the boyfriend has a heart condition. They are also selling their large lake fishing boat. I had quite an interesting conversation with N3, where she was telling me that she has four "cocktails" every day after she gets home from work. She asked me if I liked cocktails, and it sounded pretty good while standing out there in the heat and humidity. We haven't yet though.

I'm sure there will be more stories to tell with this interesting cast of characters! Have a good day!

11 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow...sounds like you're not going to have a dull moment in your neighborhood! ;)

6:52 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

They sound interesting and even helpful!!

Glad you are settling into your new home.

:)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

The neighbors sound odd but very nice. The rule in my neighborhood seems to be wave but don't talk..

8:05 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

It's always nice to meet the neigbors, even if they are a bit off. They sound helpful and fun so I wouldn't worry about them. You could do a lot worse than helpful nuts!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Welcome home, PB! I look forward to hearing more tales from the 'hood.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

cocktail couple of hours sound fantastic...lol where do i move to...???

glad that they are all friendly and welcoming...

*hugs*

12:32 PM  
Blogger katie said...

How nice that your neighbors are so friendly! Sounds like you will always be up to date on the gossip!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

You call them interesting? None of your neighbors sound nearly as bad as the ones I've had, which is good for living but bad for bloging. Still, good stories or no, I'm glad I moved away from Captain Nekkid. :p

3:15 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

And have the cocktails shown up yet?

7:56 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with Stacy! Life will not be boring that is a certainty! I don't think you could have scripted those kinds of people even if you tried :o) You have your own Wisteria Lane!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Good to have you back. I'm so glad to read how you feel about the new house...it's sounds like it's perfect for you.

and your neighbours...what a friendly bunch of people you've just moved in near. How welcoming of them to all seem to turn up within the first week...especially to help cut and weed-whack the lawn. Whatever happened to casseroles?? lol

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home