Friday, June 16, 2006

Moving along

I'm feeling much better today and yesterday. I really do think that the illness was food-related, even though I was feeling a bit sick before that. The onset was immediately after eating, and was sudden and violent. The major (icky) part lasted only two hours. It probably wasn't any sort of food that did it, but how it was handled. Buffets can be bad about that, which is why we always go right as soon as they open. The food should be fresh then and not lying under heat lamps or sitting on warming trays too long. I might have eaten leftover food from the previous day that had been sitting too long, but put out again on the buffet. Who knows?

Anyway, today is better. Last night I spent three hours at the new house! It turns out the inspection guy went to our rural little high school with me and graduated the same year! But he had to think hard to remember me. As a child I was quiet to the point of being mute, and isolated out on the farm. I never saw the other kids except in school. So I didn't know any of them well, and none knew me.

The house inspector was a friendly guy. He was trying to get me to go to our class reunion coming up in July. I've not attended any of them. My childhood and high school years are times I prefer to forget. I couldn't wait to be old enough to escape and go to college. I left home at 17.

But enough of all of that. The house inspection was both wonderful and terrifying. The wonderful part is that I love the house more than even after spending some time in it! The scary part is all the work that will be required of us to get it into shape. The hard work of moving and settling in will be only the beginning.

Speaking of movers, I'm having a time assembling them for this move. Turns out the house closing is right before the 4th of July holiday weekend. That's very bad timing to gather a working group, and it may get delayed. And I had told the landlady that we'd try to be out shortly on or after the 1st of July. Uh oh.

She's showing the (crummy) upstairs apartment today. She called and left a message that they want to see the (our) three-bedroom apartment too. Guess which they will pick? I need to call her back and try to get them to move the time a little. My son will be still in bed at the scheduled time!

I got a late start to blogging this morning as I had to clean the ferret cage, sweep the floor, clean the bathroom and other little tidying up things for the landlord and potential tenant to come through the place. I'll try to hit some blogs at work, if I can. We have a big meeting all morning and afternoon I have another one, plus all the regular work, of course. Happy Friday to you!

11 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

Glad you are feeling better.

Sometimes, you can get a seller to fix things before you buy, our realtor did a nice negotiation and they fixed things that really needed to be done.

I am glad you are excited about your new house, hopefully things will work out with the moving.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

You're right about buffets...they can be bad places if the foods not handled well. Glad to hear you're feeling better though...just in time for the weekend! :)

I'm with you on trying to forget my high school years...they weren't very plesant...which is why I've never been to any of my reunions either!

Good luck with the movers...hope everything works out for you!

7:37 AM  
Blogger dan said...

i had foid poisoning jus over a week ago.

took some sausage rolls on a picnic. big mistake

8:18 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Moving. Stressful!!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Glad you're feeling better. I'm especially leary of buffet chicken - that can go bad quickly.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

You are right about buffets. I had never thought of it in those terms before. I am glad that you are recovered.

Doesn't it seem like everything happens all at once! I hope that you get a moving party together soon.

Have a good weekend - sorry I have not been around lately but now I am back.. my laptop is mended :)

4:08 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Every house needs constant fixing. At least every one I've ever lived in.
The house sounds perfect for you. So I'm still a full Woohoo as far as the house goes.
And I am glad you are feeling better..

4:54 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so excited for you PBS and look forward to continuing updates, happy weekend to you ;o)

5:34 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

You do souond happy about the house. Maybe it's time to give those other classmates an opportunity to find out who you are. They wouldn,t be sorry

8:49 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Looking forward to hearing more about the house, PB. Post a pic if you can. I'm glad you're feeling better.

"My childhood and high school years are times I prefer to forget. I couldn't wait to be old enough to escape and go to college. I left home at 17."

Now I'm curious ...

6:53 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Regarding the above comment - UGH. I really hate the latest form of spammers.

Now... glad you're feeling better. You're right. It was probably the food all along.
As to the work that needs doing on the house - as someone else said, homeowners never really finish working on their houses! Take your time and don't overload yourself.

I too would love to see a picture or two, when you're ready.

(as to the high school reference, you probably already know that high school was all but fun for me - so I agree!)

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home