Thursday, June 15, 2006

ugh

Yesterday was a day to get through, it seemed very long. Of course I was excited about my house and told just about everyone I know! Friends were not surprised, but happy for me. Co-workers WERE a bit startled and said things like, "I didn't even know you were looking for a house." but were also pleased for me. That part was great.

The not-so-great part was that I was sick. My son called in sick to his work on Sunday, and I've been kind of sickish since Tuesday but not enough to call in sick to work. Yesterday I went out for a half-hour lunch with some ex-co-workers who are now friends. Because of the short timing we always go to a Chinese buffet place in-between our two offices. The buffet place had this rather weird meat that was supposed to be chicken but that one friend thought was rabbit. It was gray and had lots of little bones, but was fried up like the chicken bits we always eat there.

I don't know if it was the strange meat, or some other food I ate there, or just because I already had been feeling under the weather, but as I stood in her office talking over the convention theme with favorite co-worker I got into a cold sweat. Then started to feel really ill.

Please skip this paragraph if you're eating or don't like reading gross things! From 12:00 to 2:00 I was quite sick, the saying "puking your guts out" would apply, and from both ends (sorry to be so gross, but I warned you.) I should have just holed up in the bathroom in all of my misery. It's not a private bathroom either, but shared by all the offices on the floor of our building. I was lucky that nobody came in for all the many quick trips I had to make there.

OK, it's safe to read this paragraph and on. I wanted to go home but was too sick to walk up the hill to my car. And I thought of calling someone to get me, or asking a co-worker but I was pretty distracted for those two hours. Amazingly enough I actually did answer calls and do some work in the middle of all of that. But I really shouldn't have, as I made a couple of minor mistakes. At least I'm blaming the mistakes on the fact that I was sick!

I called the inspection guy, who is doing the two-to-three hour inspection right after work tonight. It should be interesting and I hope I'm feeling OK for it. Then I called our insurance guy and the other realtor who was going to show me some more houses (and a couple I'd already seen but wanted to see again) last night. I was making lots of personal calls at work, which I normally try to keep to a minimum.

The last personal call I made, 15 minutes before closing time was to my landlady. I had been dreading the call, but by that time was too wiped out from being sick to get emotional about it. Good thing, as she was upset and angry with me. I probably would have felt horrible about her bad reaction, because she's a very nice person and I like her. But the aftermath of being so sick was that I just felt mildly sad that I had to disappoint her, and very tired. The other good part of all of that was that she is counting yesterday as a 30-day notice. In other words I will only have to pay half of July's rent, not the entire amount as I had feared. She is such a nice person, honest and fair, I hope she forgives my sudden bolting from her very nice apartment, and finds someone else to rent it ASAP.

Well, that was my long day yesterday. And since I didn't sleep well at all it was a long night too. I'm feeling dragged out and tired this morning but will go in to work today. I have to finish the exhibitor's list for our convention. The list has close to 5,000 names to update on it!

I have a pack of raw chicken to cook for dinner tonight but I don't think I can bear to look at it let alone eat some! Last night I only ate ramen noodle soup (with nothing else in it like meat or vegetables) the warm salty broth helped, and lots of Excedrin and Tums.

Off to work then! Have a great day, tomorrow IS Friday! (at least I know what day it is today)

12 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I hope you are feeling better.

I wouldn't even want to guess what that meat was, all the sick jokes about cats and Chinese food came to mind when I read that.

Sorry, your landlady took it so bad, that is a shame.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ooo...I sure hope you're feeling better soon! I know there some kind of bug going around work...there are 5 of us on this floor and so far 2 people have gotten it. I don't want it!! We are spraying Lysol EVERYWHERE!

And I had a crappy nights sleep last night too...thank GOD tomorrow's Friday! ;)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

There is something going around here as well, some sort of stomach bug so it probably wasn't the food. It seems to be only lasting a few days so hopefully you'll be all better by the weekend. You sure don't want to be sick on the weekend!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, PB. But I can sure hear the excitement in your happy news about the house!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Maybe your body just got sick at the thought of moving again, tee,hee.
There is so much excitement in your life..

8:53 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

awww you poor thing, hope you are feeling better today, that grey stuff with little bones sounds gross and a lot like rabbit...ugh

and i will miss you so much too, not blogging is like having my right leg cut off..

and the flight is about 6 hours or so, by the time i get there i will be ready to strange someone...lol

mind you next year to hawaii is 19 hours...!!!

:0)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Sorry I missed your good news about the house; luckily I checked in to read about how sick you were. Weird how life works....hope you're feeling better.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Jansky T said...

The first time I was so sick that it was coming out of both ends was when I was 29. We were on our way home from Outback Steakhouse after seeing Star Wars Episode I. I turned the air conditionining on, tilted the vents toward my face and said to my wife, "I can't talk anymore cuz if I open my mouth, I'll throw up." It was the longest ride home and I yakked all over the yard when I got out of the van. After making it into the house and to the toilet, it was QUITE the surprise when it came out the back-end too. I did that load of laundry six times.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Hope you are feeling better by the time you read my comment.

Thank you for the visit to my place and the special part you took in making my birthday very special.

Best wishes with your home.

12:24 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Sounds like you got a dose of food poisoning pure and simple...classic signs. It doesn't have to be so severe that you wind up in the hospital. If you had done that...you would have been in trouble. I would imagine that the restaurant didn't have their meat at the proper temperature...or it was handled incorrectly by an employee not being clean. You are always taking a chance when eating out...basically you are at their mercy of whatever they have done wrong.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hope you're feeling better, sounds like some type of food poisoning.
So glad you're not lumped with paying all of July's rent :o)

5:32 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Oh I'm so happy you didn't get stuck paying all of July's rent. Every little bit helps when moving. But then, the expert that you are, you already know that!!

Oh yuck. Being that kind of sick horrifies me. (I haven't puked since I was a little girl)

I'm sure by now you're feeling much better, so I can't wait to read your next post!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home