Thursday, June 01, 2006

Check Engine and Shot Glass

Yawn, sorry. I just figured out that I've had 14 hours of sleep in the past three nights. It sounds like enough until you do the math! And that was actual in-bed time, since I woke up a lot, the real sleep time is much less. I did have some very cool dreams which would take pages to relate, so I won't.

Tuesday morning I was parking and the "check engine" light came on. Nothing seemed to be wrong with the jeep that I could tell. Of course I only know enough to check fluids and the very most obvious stuff. So when I got to the office I called the car repair place. They asked me if I'd just filled the gas tank--I had--and said that jeeps, especially the older ones sometimes do that. So I was to reset the gas cap and see if the light was still on. It was. And driving over the bridge in what passes for our rush hour traffic was scary, I'd really hate to break down on the bridge. There is no walkway or shoulder to pull off on it.

The next morning (yesterday) I had to come back over the bridge with the yellow engine light on but it was early and much lighter traffic. I brought it straight up to the garage and had to sit and wait until they came in. They promised to check it out, so I left the jeep there and walked to work. It's just a couple of blocks further than I normally have to walk.

Yesterday was a busy and not altogether good day at work. When the ordeal was almost over BZ asked me if she could have a ride home. I automatically said, "Sure" then I remembered that the jeep was in the shop. I told her this, but she still needed a ride. I even offered to come and pick her up (since I didn't really want to walk with her) but she said that she'd walk with me up there. The jeep was clean, thank goodness. But it's been clean ever since I moved and stopped having to drive home on a dirt road and carry various things like haybales and trees in it!

BZ was impressed with my walk, but not in a good way. She kept commenting on the "scary" neighborhood. I was glad that no bunches of guys hanging out on the porches we walked by yelled things at us, like they sometimes do at me in nice weather. I think they're bolder when they see a woman walking alone. I just ignore them and keep walking, same with weird street people.

BZ, to her credit, tried to be positive about it, "Well, this would save $600 per year." (in parking fees) as she and several others from our office park across the street from the office in a parking garage. But then again it might have just been being catty as she was very uncomfortable and disapproving of the surroundings, saying things like, "This doesn't even look like ___"(our city) and "I've NEVER EVER walked here before!" I wanted to reply with something like, "It's called POVERTY. Not everyone has money like you do." but I held my tongue. I had to keep my mouth shut to keep from panting, it was hot and we had to walk uphill.

Sadly BZ was proved correct when we finally got to the repair garage. One of the large plate glass windows had been shot and shattered! I'd have to agree, that was kind of scary. Those things don't happen every day but are unnerving and scary even to me, who is used to walking in that neighborhood.

I think BZ might have a different view of me after last night, and it's not positive. But again, it wasn't positive to begin with, so there you go.
Happy Thursday to you!

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

So the car is fixed and ready to roll?

7:27 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Hmm, wonder what she would have thought of my old neighborhood with bar derelicts and drug busts and shootings.


Not that I really care what she thinks. And neither should you.

Although, maybe she won't be as quick to aks you for a ride next time.

Hope the Jeep is alright!!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

The PK and I still live in a neighborhood where we once watched the police bust a couple guys that live just down the street from us....slammed them up against the cop car, frisked them and cuffed them. Actually had to chase one down the street to catch him!!! I honestly think they were selling crack out of their house. It was crazy.

Anyway, I agree with Deni...you shouldn't care what BZ thinks!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

You should have told her to feck off, because life has shown me that we should always speak our minds while at work because there are no possible negative repercussions that can come from that. :p

9:42 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

What an ungrateful cow she is. She gets you to give her a ride home and then complains about walking through your neighborhood..

3:21 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

for some reason, the OK Corral popped into my head when I was reading this...

6:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Lordy, you go out of your way to be so nice to her, and all she does is bitch and complain....man some people *shakes head*

Have a super evening PBS :o)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

so what about the little jeep, is it all better now...???

and who really cares what she thinks, maybe she might think you know some of these people and she'll be nicer from now on...lol

:0)

2:21 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

You have read about the neighbourhood I live in... but I still like it. amongst some of the "raw" bits there are some great spirits of community (does that sound right?)
BZ was just exhibiting her ignorance, innoncence and narrow mindedness.
Have a good Friday

2:58 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Forget her...all you can do...is all you can do under the circumstances.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Shot glass? I thought I was going to read a drinking story. LOL!!

The "Check engine" light has been glowing on my dash for two years now. All is well, so far.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home