Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Weekend Report

The King showed up yesterday to see Mom's new apartment. He brought a couple of things from her house that she wanted, some more of her pans and her large dollhouse. I was commanded to show up at 8:00 p.m. or before to see him.

My Mom suddenly appeared here yesterday on a special mission to tell me of him impending arrival. That visit is becoming a habit, it's the second time she showed up here on Saturday morning. She doesn't like the stairs but apparently once a week works much better for her. I was still blogging and hadn't done much cleaning yet. But after she left I got on it and did things like clean the ferrets cage, vacuum, and all the regular cleaning chores--while listening to the police radio! (well, not while vacuuming, but while doing the rest.)

The landlady came over and we got to talking about the trouble she's had at one of her other apartments. A young woman was MURDERED there this spring. The police are holding the landlords accountable for more than three police calls per year per apartment building. I told her about the Citizen's Police Academy and showed her my book with the sessions and my notes. She wants to do it next year! Nearly everyone does, I should get paid for recruiting.

Then she asked me if I wanted to see the now-vacant upstairs apartment. I had been thinking about moving there because it's a two-bedroom, but when I found out it was barely less expensive than our three-bedroom, I had decided not to move--plus there's MORE stairs! So she knew I didn't still want to consider moving up there but I went up to see it. It was mildly shocking, what a dump compared to ours! It's got teeny little windows, a mini-refrigerator and stove smaller than I had up at my little house! The roof slants down so the ceiling is low (should have shared some of the way high ceiling of our apartment way back when they were building this place!) The bathroom is so low that one could not stand upright to shower unless they were under 5' tall. It was like a cave. And the living room is right above my bedroom, which explains the noise. Glad I had already said I was not interested in that place! I wonder who will rent it for that much money?

After the chores and the tour were done I tried out our new coffeemaker! It produces espresso and steamed milk, so a made a latte each for son and me (landlady had gone). It doesn't quite work as well as the one at work or the one I gave away back in February BEFORE I took the "Espresso Yourself" class. But with lots of practice (lol) I'll get the hang of it.

Then I took my little dog for a 14-block walk. She loves to go walking and that was enough to make her tired but not exhausted. Well, that's enough of a report about what I did yesterday! Hope your weekend is going well. Today SLA has invited me to her family's BBQ and later at night we're going out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Sounds like you are having a good, although somewhat bizarre, weekend, tee,hee.
Hope the rest of it is great..

8:29 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Gosh, how could anyone stand (haha) to have a shower in a bathroom with such a low ceiling? That's really odd. I wonder if it meets building regulations.

I need to get myself one of those coffee machines...at the moment, I snip the top off a sachet, and that becomes my frothy mocha in the morning. Real easy for plebs like me! lol

2:20 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Moms can be hard to figure out most of the time.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

MMMmmmmm i can smell your coffee from here!

6:39 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Enjoy the BBQ! And the rest of your weekend!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I'm curious - why are the police holding the landlords accountable for the complaint calls?

BTW, I e-mailed you the question but I recieved an error message saying your e-mail account has been discontinued.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

You must wish the king would stay at his castle more often....

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home