Monday, May 22, 2006

A good weekend of buying and walking

It’s back to simple (beginning--not the difficult poses) yoga for me! No more of the yoga-pilates stuff. And I thought using the stretchy belt thing for the exercises was so cool and fun, but that’s what hurt my back. I won’t be doing that stuff again, too dangerous.

What I did do this weekend was walk and walk. Haven’t done that for a long time. Oh, I take my little dog for an 8-12 block walk every night but I haven’t really walked, like I used to do. I used to average walking eight miles per day! It’s excellent therapy and good exercise too, I like the fresh air. The city where I work has the Lakewalk, a boardwalk along the big lake. It’s very nice, scenic, but also very popular, especially on weekends. Quiet and peaceful, it’s not.

So I went to our (in our new city) little walkway along the Bay. It’s called the Osaugie Trail, and as I walked I swear that the red-winged blackbirds were singing, “O-Sa-geeee, chi chi chip, O-Sa-geeee” as I walked. I also saw geese, ducks, little birds and sea gulls. The waves were soothing, the rhythm and sparkle of the sun moving on them, and the sound of “woosh, woosh, woosh.” I walked and walked until it all felt surreal and it was like I wasn’t even separate from the grass, sky and water around me.

I walked until I felt weak and dizzy (hadn’t eaten lunch yet and it was, by then nearly 3:00) sat down and had a swing of water from my water bottle and turned around to walk back again. As I was coming back on the trail, I had an almost overwhelming urge to crawl on my knees on the warm ground, to dig my hands into the soil.

It’s planting season, you see, and if I were still living at my little house in the country I’d be digging the vegetable garden, especially on such a beautiful day as Sunday was. I knew eventually this day would come. Yesterday was the first time since moving into town that I’ve missed the country. And I missed it badly. I wondered if my flowers were all up, and if the trees I planted had survived the winter.

After returning to the car a bit sunburnt, I went shopping for a wall clock and then grocery shopping. I lugged all the goods upstairs and hung the wall clock over the couch in the living room. It’s an electric neon clock and my son hated it. “It looks like in a diner!” he said, when he saw it, “Neon?”

But I love it, as I love funky décor and just can’t stand those boring wall clocks with a black rim around them. In fact I can’t stand boring décor, period. But I did get rid of many things that I’ve had for 15 years during the move, like the large ceramic armadillo that I won. It’s belly was hollow like a bowl and I usually filled it with waxed fruit.

My friend SLA hates waxed fruit, and fake fruit in general. She would pretend to be offended at the wooden, plastic and waxed fruit placed around my living room. The fruit was getting rather shabby though, so when I moved I got rid of all the fruit, also my cute stuffed lizards and other cool but weird items like cheerleader pompoms and leis. So now I’ll just have to get some more things!

My long-term and still favorite piece is the rattan couch. I have been thinking of recovering it though. The pillows and the long (like a pillow) bottom are a burnt orange with tropic designs. It looks very 50's. I've been thinking of making it a soft green with a more subtle fern design. It's so comfortable that it served as my bed for nine years! It's only recently that I've been using a real bed, and have an actual bedroom to put it in. With a door.

What’s your favorite item of décor in your home?

6 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

Oh, I usd to walk everyday too, usually 8 to 10 miles. One benefit, a great looking firm butt!!

Maybe I should start walking again.

My fave decorating are my eclectic salt and pepper collection, from vintage to modern. I would also like to buy throw rugs in different colors and textures to brighten up the place.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PBS: Due to a very mild case of Fibromyalgia, I am restricted to walking on flat surfaces. I wish I were a candidate for Pilates. Walking is great for you. Always fun when you drop by. Thanks!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PBS: Due to a very mild case of Fibromyalgia, I am restricted to walking on flat surfaces. I wish I were a candidate for Pilates. Walking is great for you. Always fun when you drop by. Thanks!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

It sounds like you missed, just for a minute, your connection to the land. But if you're planning to recover a couch, you're probably over it.

A while back, I bought two matching tub chairs---they matched each other, but nothing I owned. In our new place, everything goes with them---especially my two granddaughters who love hiding underneath the seats and yelling, "You can't find me..." and I never do.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I have a large ceramic fish made by a local artist, and that's a fav, i also have a glass blown jellyfish hanging up too....and a bunch of painting done by a local artist of tropical fish and the reef...all my favs :o)
Sounds as though you had a great weekend :o)

1:59 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

ooh i've been looking at a new clock, but neon wouldn't go...i will try and find a photo of the one i'm hoping to get...

8 miles a day, wow no need for a pedometer then...

:0)

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home