Friday, March 24, 2006

It all comes down (again)

It's a double-good day! It's Friday and I found my black dress pants! They were hung in the living room closet with the coats. I still have some things there, too, because of my closet falling down when I first moved into the apartment. In fact I still have clothes in three different places yet. But had LOOKED in all of them for those sneaky black pants. Last night I was looking through the living room closet hanger by hanger to find a casual top for today, casual Friday. While moving each hanger on the rod I discovered the black pants! Yay! I'm not wearing them today though, as, like already mentioned it's casual Friday and we get to wear jeans to work. Wonder if I still can do that when sitting out in front on display? Probably not.

There is a downside to finding my pants. I moved them from the living room closet to my bedroom closet, to rejoin their fellow pants and --- THE CLOSET FELL DOWN AGAIN! Aagghh!

The reason I still have clothes in three places was to spread them out so they wouldn't take out the flimsy bar thingy in my bedroom closet. Looks like that didn't work so well.

Tomorrow is the History Day competition, where I'll be a judge (for the fifth year) of the Junior Exhibits. This year we got a terse E-mail note to dress appropriately for the judging. There was no "please" or "thank you" in the note either. While I don't expect the people who set up the competition to fawn over us, a little respect and politeness would go a long ways. It's run by college students, this past two years instead of the Historical Society, who used to put it on. I've mentioned the note to a couple of friends and family and they thought that maybe it's a generational difference, a more matter-of-fact method of communication, but I don't think so. The E-mail seemed rather curt and borderline RUDE to me! And the college students who set it up last year were polite.

Maybe it's just that I don't WANT to dress up on a Saturday morning! We have to be in the judging room at 8:00 a.m., and while that would be late for a weekday, I relish my longer sleep time on Saturday. I'm going to miss just being able to throw on some clean clothes for the day, and wearing jeans! No jeans are allowed. There is a dress code for the competitors but we judges have not had to follow one before. But I think the main thing that bothers me about that E-mail is the phrasing, "You need to...be in the judging room by 8:00" "You need to park..." over and over. Call me hair-splitting on this, but I DON'T need to! I don't need to come to History Day, I'm a volunteer!

Oh well, it will be fun. I always enjoy seeing the creative exhibits and getting to interview the students. I much prefer the junior high to the senior high, so I hope they have assigned me the group I requested. Enjoy your Friday!

9 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds like tons of fun PBS, although like you i relish my one day where i can sloth around in relaxing clothing :)

6:22 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

It does sound like fun!

The PK is going to have to pry me outta bed tomorrow morning with a crowbar. Not only am I sleeping in, but tonights low is going to be about 41 degrees!!!!

I don't think I'll get out of bed tomorrow until noon...;)

Have a great weekend! :)

6:52 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I have clothes in more than one spot. Even more than three.

oy.

Have a great day!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The tone is not good. Someone needs a lesson in manners.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

When you said the closet fell, it reminded me of the time I was visiting a friend and we heard a crash. He had tried to mount a fully loaded gun rack on the flimsy wall of his trailor. Yes, we're rednecks.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

I agree with you... that tone does not seem the proper way to treat a volunteer... hope, you enjoy the day anyway!
Feliz fin de semana!
:)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I agree with you PBS. You're volunteering, for goodness sake. And it doesn't sound like a formal event. I hope you found a comfortable compromise in clothing. I hope you had fun. And I hope you were doing all the judging!

12:50 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I am the queen of losing clothing for extended periods of time.

It's kind of like getting a new addition to your wardrobe for free once you find them again though, isn't it?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Glad you found your black pants...a girl's gotta have at least one pair of decent black pants eh? That closet falling down all the time would drive me insane, no wonder you have clothes all over the house in different places.

Hope the exhibit judging thing went well. Any chance of some pics?

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home