Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hungry at midnight

Ugh, I'm very tired today, not enough sleep. I can't seem to decide what to wear to work today and it's a simple enough decision. My brain is just in a fog. When Her Majesty The Peanut Queen posted about adding another job, I forgot to put the biggest downside of working two (full time) jobs; weight gain.

I just read a study that said that not getting enough sleep inhibits the body's production of a hunger surpressant. Leptin, or something like that, which signals the body that it's full and satisfied. Maybe it doesn't have that bad effect for everyone, but in the two years that I got only four hours of sleep per night, I gained quite a bit of weight. Weight that I'm still struggling to take off a few YEARS later! Weight gain would be perceived as a downside for most people! Part of the problem was that in a 24-hour day, I was also eating an extra meal. Being awake for the equivalent of two days meant that I would get hungry around midnight or 1:00 a.m. while working the night job.

Other than that working the two jobs was fun and a challenge, I enjoyed them both. But I would never do it again because of the physical toll. It aged me physically too in that short amount of time. Not recommended. It did seem like I had twice as much life during those two years, though! Two days (and I LIKED both jobs and had friends at both) in a 24-hour period! Too bad we need to sleep so much. But I need to sleep more right now!

I'm reading an interesting book, "Tropic of Night" by Michael Gruber. It's a (fiction) murder mystery that includes witchcraft, magic, Santeria and shamanism. I'm a little more than half done and this excellent book is to blame for my lack of sleep today! Happy Tuesday!

9 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ooo...witchcraft and magic...that sounds like a VERY good read! :)

I've hit my mid-to-late thirties...and I seem to be gaining weight WITHOUT a second job....ugh!

I'd heard that too about not getting enough sleep. Last night I got 5 hours. Guess I need to start going to bed about the same time I get home, dang it!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Wow! Lose sleep, gain weight. Seems a double-edged sword. I gotta get more sleep!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Cubicle work is particularly fattening, especially when they have vending machines nearby.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess the extra energy that is required has to come from somewhere, so we eat.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny same for me! I've been up late the last couple of nights reading but I can't remember the title of the book now. See that's what lack of sleep does to you!

1:12 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

i usually get to sleep at 3 a.m. and i am up at 7 or 8 a.m. after a while it takes its toll though. maybe that is why i can not loose weight. i never thought of it that way.

1:51 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Make sure you get that sleep. Two jobs for one person isn't good on the health.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

ooh that book sounds good, must make a note of it...

and i've gained weight i just can't shift, its so hard to be good and keep up with it...i really need to start eating more healty rather than dieting...

and i love my sleep, i don't think its possible for me to stay awake for two days...

*hugs*

5:26 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I hear you re sleep, i average around 5 or 6 rs a night...not enough, but the days are not long enough!!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home