Thursday, February 16, 2006

Caught in the Middle

Gee, I don't know where to start. Maybe an apology in advance would be good, for this is going to be yet another whiny post. Writing about my woes is so therapeutic and really helps. Reading about my woes...probably not that interesting. Sorry about that!

This is (or is supposed to be) moving day for my Mom. She's all set, getting a bit nervous about leaving the place she's lived in for almost 60 years! I wanted it to go well for her and not stress her out any more than possible. Well.

First, today we had a ferret emergency. I had bathed them in the bathtub after my shower and they were so cute that I was laughing outloud. Not for long. I couldn't find any of our own "dog" towels despite the fact I went through every box in my bedroom last night to make room for the rattan couch, and didn't want to use any of our good towels or my Mom's towels. So I didn't dry the ferrets off but let them slither around all wet. It was so cute. Until Duggie went behind the gas stove and (must have) bitten something. There was a yelp that sounded just like our little dog and I thought it was from her, at first. Duggie was convulsing behind the stove and I couldn't get him out, and I got quite a jolt just by touching him. I tried the soft end of a broom to get him out and then a large towel (which I should have used to dry him off) but nothing worked. So I had to get my son up, who had worked late. He leaped out of bed and to the rescue. He had to move the stove, put on thick winter gloves and lift Duggie out from where he was stuck.

The poor little ferret revived a little and started panting. His mouth was bleeding. I went to Walgreen's and got some baby teething pain stuff and some baby painkillers for him. Who knows how a ferret will react to that stuff but at least it made him more comfortable. He was in terrible pain and breathing hard. We wrapped him in a towel and talked to him. The painkillers seemed to ease him but his back legs were still limp. My son went back to bed after Duggie was stabilized. But the fact that Duggie had been lying there with the electricity going through him and had stopped breathing isn't good. Sadly he probably won't make it.

Before he went back to bed, my son insisted (as he had late last night) that today is a terrible day for moving and that we really ought to postpone the move. He went on and on (both times) about it. I'm feeling stuck in the middle here. My Mom is all nervous and steeled for the move to happen TODAY. I don't really want to cancel it and make her go through all of that again. Not to mention that we are getting a U-Haul, she wants to be moved BEFORE the closing tomorrow, and I took today off from work.

Vegetable Man IM'd me while I was writing this. I told him about poor Duggie but not that the last family member to help is now trying to get out of it! The V-Man is going to be really mad if my son starts talking about cancelling the move in front of him. When he were engaged, like ten years ago, he and my son had their problems. They are somewhat competitive and both can have really bad tempers when pushed. I don't want to be in the middle of all this. I just want the move be done with and take place TODAY!!!

Well, hope you have a lot more peaceful day than it looks like my day is going to be!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor you. You still haven't had a change to relax. And poor ferret hope he pulls through.
Hope everything goes smoothly & you manage to finally relax in your new home. Thinking of you c

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry where I've written "change to relax" that obviously should have read "chance to relax" I need to go back to school!!!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Iam sorry to hear about your ferret.Also I can understand your frustrations over the move etc. I hope that you get something sorted soon. Look afer yourself

2:05 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Here's hoping the ferret makes it and that the move takes place.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ohhh I am so sorry to hear about your ferret :( the poor little darling. Crossing fingers the rest of the day gets better for you and Duggie (((hugs)))

3:21 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I'm so sorry about Duggie, poor little guy.

I hope you get your mom all moved and settled in without a lot of stress.

Ya know, I am thinking of you!!!

5:47 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Poor Duggie! I sure hope he makes it, I know you love them dearly. My dog Droogie is still having seizures so I totally understand the stress of it.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that Duggie got hurt. I'd have been a basket case!!!

Hope everything works out for you and Duggie is okay!

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home