Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Not for lack of trying

I called my (hopefully future) landlords yesterday to check if I could see the apartment. I have the first month’s rent and the deposit ready to give them as soon as I make sure the place is suitable for us. I’m almost positive that it is, but just need a brief walk-through to check it out. I might have blown it this time, she sounded annoyed. I think she thinks (always dangerous!) that I’m pushing her, and she’s right, I am.

We need a new address to start changing all of our mail, my son and I will need to take a driver’s test to apply for a license, because it’s a different state. There is a lot to do and only a few weeks to do it in—and I’m not even counting the actual packing and moving—the biggest jobs of all! So, yes, I WAS trying to get her to let me see the place so I could give her the rent and deposit!. But (future?) landlord was stubborn and not as happy with me as the first time I talked with her. Hope I didn’t blow it, I really want that place! It’s in the perfect location for my Mom and right next door to my good friend SLA. (future) Landlord said maybe by the end of the week, which is the 13th already, time is going by fast! And I will be out of the office on Friday, but I don’t dare call the (future) landlord again until she calls me. She also said I need to fill out an application and they will do a background check. I really really wish she would let me get going on those things TODAY!

I’ll be out of the office Friday for a sad reason. Yesterday morning as soon as I got off line to go to work my Mom called with bad news. My Aunt has died and her funeral is in a far away city, at 10:30 a.m. on Friday. I’ll have to drive out to my Mom’s on Thursday night, even though it’s in the opposite direction of the city where the funeral is being held. This will be a hard funeral to attend, my Aunt was so sweet that everyone loved her. Her husband, my Mom’s only remaining brother, is devastated. It was my cousin who called everyone about her mother. She’s the cousin I know the best, we went to school together for a year. I’m not looking forward to it at all and hope the weather holds out so the long drive is decent at least.

Yesterday I took the second civil service test. Well, actually it’s the 5th since the first test was four separate tests: written, bookkeeping, word processing and typing. This test was in the other state where I hope to rent that apartment. Yesterday’s test was the most fascinating test I’ve taken for a long time if not forever! It mostly consisted of paragraphs explaining types of crime, or a matrix on which police cars are available at which hours of the day. Each paragraph had one or two questions about it, so there was a lot of information in the test booklet. Wish I could have taken it home to reread it! The sample question was an easy one:

SAMPLE: Police uniforms are usually which color?
A. Black
B. Green
C. Brown
D. Blue

And here is one of the questions I remember:

1. Citizen A called the emergency number with a report that his car had been broken into and his CD player and some CDs stolen. What category of crime is this?
A. Break in
B. Burglary
C. Larceny
D. Theft

Pretty interesting test, huh? Sure hope I got a good score. The next step will be a test on actually fielding emergency calls (fake ones, of course). I’m not good at role play, hate faking responses. Guess I’d been terrible in theater! We’ll see how this goes.

There's so much going lately on that I've probably forgotten to tell you about something. Did you figure out the answers to the above questions? Have a Happy Hump Day!

20 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt, PBS....my condolences to you and your mom.

I wish you luck with the new (future?) landlord...hope that and the test results go well for you!

P.S. Blue and larceny? Those are just my guesses anyway.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Sorry to hear about your Aunt..

8:14 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

My condolences for your Aunt.

For the emergency calls, I recommend calling in an air strike as your standard response.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

When I open your site, I'm always hoping I'll see that you have a new job or a new apartment---things are moving along. It's hard to be calm waiting to see about a new place. I'd kind of forgotten the tension of waiting for a landlord to "bless" you. I'm sure it's nerve-wracking.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I am sorry to hear about your aunt.

1:16 PM  
Blogger dot said...

I'm sorry that your Aunt passed away...very sad.

Why is the future landlady so loathe to get the ball rolling?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Condolences PBS, very sad :(
Stay strong, it will all come together soon, thought about doing some yoga?

Told you, your a star...you'll do well in the test.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Oh I am sorry about your Aunt. Take care driving if the weather does turn. I will be thinking about you.

I will also be thinking about your apartment worries too and willing your "hopefully"landlord will ring you back soon

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt.
Hope the landlord sorts it out soon.

Am thinking of you x

2:42 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I am so sorry to hear about your aunt. My sympathies go out to you and your family.

Sending postive vibes things will work out with everything. ;)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I offer my sympathies for your aunt.

I'm sure your exam went well... no worries. Good luck!

5:05 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your Aunt.

*hugs*

10:23 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

good luck with your landlord, i suppose trying to get it ready in time for you is making her grouchy, i'm sure she wants it done sooner rather than later too...

and i'm sorry to hear about your aunt, my condolences to you and your mom...

and i think blue and theft...??? but we don't have larceny here so i'm not quite sure what that one is...



:0)

2:39 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt.
If it was my car broken into my answer would have been all of the above.

3:45 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Chin up...so sorry for your family having to go throught a funeral. At this time it must be hard for you and your Mom with the added burden of trying to get that apartment. Again, good luck to you.

12:36 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I'm sorry about your aunt. I hope that the test and the new place go well!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PBS: So very sorry about the loss of your Aunt. I was hoping to catch up and wish you a belated Happy New Year. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Having leased many apartments, the new laws require the application for Fair Housing. Sorry to hear about the Landlord's attitude, and I will be pulling for you on that exam! lol!

1:14 PM  
Blogger angela marie said...

Lot going on. Sorry about your aunt. :(

Maybe the landlord was just having a bad day and it had nothing to do with you.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
cash for cars ipswich
cash for cars gympie

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for cars melbourne
cash for scrap cars brisbane

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home