Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Go figure

Yesterday, my first day back at work in four days was a fabulous day! Go figure. I'm certainly not complaining, had lots of interesting stuff to do, even a creative writing piece for our company newsletter. The day was good, better than any I can remember for a long long time. But why? I should just enjoy it but it puzzles me. Bosszila, HR and I are all having a meeting about my changing job description on Thursday, that's tomorrow. BZ was pleasant to me all day. And I had written up my rebuttal to the annual review and given it to her last Thursday. She would have received and opened it with her mail early yesterday morning. I basically disagreed with the points she made and I covered them one-by-one. Why is she not upset with me, I wonder? Can't help but being ready for the other shoe to drop!

On Monday I put 18 books and 3 music CDs for sale on Amazon. Have wanted to do that for a long time but just hadn't done the prep work for it. It was a real procedure (when you have dial up) had to fill out the pages, go offline so they could call me. The first automated call from them didn't work. I spoke the secret code, as they said you could either punch it in or say it. It didn't work and the call disconnected without giving me a second chance. So I had to go back online, find the Amazon Seller's spot and set it up again--and again go offline for the automated phone call. This time it worked.

To my amazement, I've sold two books so far and made a profit of $8.00! Yes, I know it isn't all that much money but the books were just lying around the house collecting dust. The type of books that I buy from Amazon (used, of course!) are usually non-fiction, but the two I sold were both fiction. Seems like the fiction books might go better, but hard to say after just a day or two.

The funny thing is that my son saw the pile of books and immediately protested, "Not THAT book, Mom! I thought you liked that book." about a beautiful soft-bound atlas. I do like the book but it's big, doesn't fit into any of our shelves and I've opened it twice in two years. That's the trouble with getting rid of extra things. I'm not going to tell my friends if I have a rummage sale this summer. Have done that and they have picked up some old item sadly and said, "But this is the ceramic anteater I gave you for your birthday! Remember when ... blah and blah?"

It's better to just quietly dispose of things like that. But things do seem to have a memory-force attached to them, that's why it's so hard for some people (me!) to get rid of knick-knacks. Next, I may try E-bay.

Questions for today:

A. Have you ever sold on Amazon or E-bay?

B. Are you a "keeper" or a clean-slate type of person?

15 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Congratulations on your $$$!

I'm a clean slate gal, but when it comes to books, i could never part with any of mine, no matter how infrequently i open them. I'm a real biblophile :)

Not sold anything on Ebay myself but know others who have and swear by it...give it a go :)

6:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oooo...I have always wanted to sell stuff on E-Bay but I'm worried I'd screw it up!

I'm pretty much a clean slate kinda gal except for when it comes to books.....I have my favorites (most in hardback)....Stephen King, Anne Rice, Dean Koontz, Robert McCammon and George Martin) that I absolutely REFUSE to part with...:)

Good luck with selling the rest of your stuff. Keep us posted! :)

6:28 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Keeper.....riiiiight.

I prefer the term pack rat. My tunnel is getting mighty full lately.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm more of a clean-slater, but Cuppa is a keeper. So, we keep things. I hardly have any books left. I'm too lazy to do eBay though. I just take my stuff to the Sally Ann or someplace like that.

9:11 AM  
Blogger dot said...

Glad you had a good day! I'm sorry that you were locked out of your house, stuck in cold weather(last post, sorry). I'm so glad that your son called.


Answers:

A. Yes, I've sold many books on Amazon, but not recently. I think it's a great forum to exchange books, and you get more money than you would if you took your books to a used book store. I almost never buy new books anymore. They're so much cheaper used, from Amazon.

B. I'm a pack rat!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I am always getting rid of things. Usually I just give them to charity.
Perhaps I should try Ebay first..

9:15 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

That is so funny I was just thinking about how I need to stop being a keeper and get rid of some stuff... maybe you're my inspiration :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I haven't sold on either, but I'm interested to hear about your experiences. I've been thinking about getting rid of a few books on amazon.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

From time to time I grab a big box and start throwing stuff inside... Then I call my friends and start asking "hey, man, do you need a bla, bla, bla"... If they answer yes, I do the delivery myself... If the answer is no, to the bin it goes... I still have a lot of stuff packed though (maybe I need more friends, ha, ha, ha!)

Way to go with those 8 bucks!!!

7:06 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

No to A...and as far as B is concerned I cannot part with a book. I'm running out of room but they stay. It doesn't help being a neat freak either. I'm sorry I forgot to mention you about the meme...I thought of it the next day. I was nervous writing it and it just slipped my mind.

2:28 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

A ceramic anteater...lol

i've been thinking about selling on ebay but i just tend to throw things away, but you can buy some strange stuff on there...

:0)

2:34 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

We are ebay junkies--buyers and sellers, but books are almost impossible to sell on ebay except for in big lots. Amazon's a great idea.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I buy from Ebay and keep everything until I think I have no use for it.
I did throw out a pile of 286 , 386, 486 parts just before I went to NZ though.
Books I pack away but I have dumped a couple of thousand just so I can make room for new ones LOL

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep I've sold on Amazon, I have so many books & hardly ever re-read them so I have kept my fave authors & then from time to time list my others on Amazon. Unfortunately I've only made about 3 sales but I'll try again soon! I've never had to make a phone call tho?

7:24 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I've only bought on those sites. I think I fluctuate b/t keeper and clean-slate. My heart wants to be a keeper but my mind tells me it's too inefficient.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home