Sunday, January 01, 2006

Got Resolutions?

For some reason I thought of the “Got Milk?” ads when I was (briefly) thinking of writing my New Year’s Resolutions. But haven’t done them yet. I have to get the feel of the new year before I can do that, to get a glimpse of what might be possible for me this year. Or maybe I’m just procrastinating. What would the photo for an ad of “Got Resolutions?” look like, anyway? Got any suggestions?

From my E-mail

Subject: A husband.....
A husband was in big trouble when he forgot his wedding anniversary.
His wife told him: "Tomorrow there better be something in the driveway for me that goes zero to 200 in two seconds flat."
The next morning the wife found a small package in the driveway. She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale.
Funeral arrangements for the husband have been set for Saturday.

Well, actually I DO have sort of a rough draft of my resoluations. I always do at least ten of them. Had plenty of time to work on them last night. I had a pleasant night of reading Terry Pratchett's book Going Postal. What a wild ride that book is! I really appreciated the wacky humor because I had worked two years for the US Postal Service. I had been hearing people talk about his books but had not read any before now. And I wrote some in my journal, did some meditation. I had no radio or TV on, so it was very peaceful and quiet. My son was (and still is!) out with his friends, of course.

Instead of resolutions, one of my friends and I used to do New Year Predictions! Where would we find ourselves at the end of the year, what was going to happen to each of us. We made some crazy predictions, like getting married (when not even going with anyone at a time) and having a child (another year's predictions) job changes, moving, all sorts of things. The eerie thing was that just about all of the predictions we said, made just in fun, actually came true during the year! We've long since stopped doing New Year Predictions, too risky. So be careful if you want to try that one!

Happy New Year to you all!

8 Comments:

Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Happy New Year!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Happy New Year to you. I predict that this year you will...ha,ha..
I had a really quiet New Years as well..

7:44 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think i will leave the crystal ball alone....i may be tempting fate!
Happy New Year!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Got Resolutions? It would have to be a photo of a very serious, focussed person with an inkblot on his/her fingertip and a paper list curled around his/her body, just chockablock with things like: Lose 10 pounds, interact more with my neighbours. It would morph into a depondent person surrounded by empty Big Mac cartons, the list spooled down arouond his/her feet, dusty and crumpled, hoisting a brew.....

6:03 PM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

happy new year to you. i'm not sure about the details of a "got resolutions" ad, but i know that the photo shoot should be set in a gym. that's where mine would be anyway...

6:36 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

I predict great wealth and success for me in the New Year!

Hey it's worth a shot right?!

11:18 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Happy New Year again...and I resolve to read you blog again this year! So there...

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year! We used to do the predictions thing too. Not sure it was just at new year tho!!! A few of those were spot on too!!

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home