Friday, January 13, 2006

I'm wiped

Back home and I'm wiped. It's been a busy, and now sad, week. The funeral today was tough. My little aunt was so sweet that it's painful to think of her gone. I remember at my Dad's funeral as my two brothers stood each holding one of my Mom's arms, I stood quietly, alone behind them as “Taps” was being played at the cemetary. My Aunt saw me standing alone, quickly came forward and slipped her arm through mine for emotional support. I'll always remember how observant and kind that was of her. She was a warm and loving person, a little redhead, lively and talkative.

The funeral mass was beautiful, full of ritual and meaning, from the smell of incense to the singing of “Ave Maria” echoing off the stained glass windows. It was the church she had been very active in and her kids had grown up attending there. Her seven grandchildren came in with her casket, her husband was not there to say goodbye. He’s in the hospital with pneumonia. They met as teenagers and had been each other’s first and only true love, inseparable for all of these years. It’s very sad. We don’t expect my uncle to live much longer without her but he could surprise us.

On a happier note, the landlord DID call me back on Wednesday. We made plans to meet at 5:00 at a nearby business so she could draw me the floor plan and give me an application. I was at the business early but it closed at 5:00 and she was not there yet so I stood outside for quite a while, waiting. Good thing it was fairly warm outside! Finally she came, so we got to meet face to face. She’s friendly and businesslike, drew the floor plan, gave me the application, but still insisted that I can’t even SEE the apartment until they’re finished with renovation.. So I took the floorplan and drove the short distance to the apartment and looked at it from the outside, to see where the bedrooms are located, etc.

Then I went to my friend SLA’s apartment, right next door. Houseguest was just leaving so I told her the good news that I’d sold my house (they didn’t know yet as SLA has no phone) and knocked on SLA’s door. She wasn’t expecting me, of course but was thrilled to hear about the house and gave me a great cup of coffee. My coffee intake has crept up again to 2 or 3 cups per day instead of only one. She told me about a great interview she had gone on and the update is today when I got home there was a message on my answering machine. She got the job, Friday the 13th turned out to be pretty lucky for her! She had been out of work since last February.

I wanted to read a bunch of blogs and catch up but only could do a few. I also wanted to write about the new development in the sale of my Mom’s house but that will have to wait until a future time. I’m tired and even though it’s early I’m going to sit and watch TV until I fall asleep. Happy Friday the 13th to all!

12 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It's always hard to loose someone we love. Your Aunt sounds like such a nice person.
Glad you got to meet with the landlord about the apartment. Hope it turns out to be just what you want.
Have a nice relaxing weekend..

10:00 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

The new apartment sounds promising now that you've gotten to see her. May your Auntie rest in peace.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i'm so sorry about your aunt,she sounds like such a great person *hugs*

i'm glad you got to meet the landlord though, are you going to take it unseen...???

2:38 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Your Aunt sounded like an amazing woman,i'm sure she knew how much you loved her :)

Woohooo you have the plans! Sounds so exciting, i even kinda jealous, i'd love to be moving, it's kinda like a fresh start...all new :)

3:39 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Oooo Poor you, you sound so tired -I hope that you had a good sleep and rest.
I am sorry that this has happened to you, your Aunt sounds a very warm and caring lady.

The new flat/apartment does sound really promising and I hope that you can view it soon

8:05 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

It is sad when we lose someone we care about, I am sorry, and I hope your Uncle recovers.

I really hope everything works out with the apartment.

That is good news about your friend's new job.

Try and get some rest.

*hugs*

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad the funeral went ok, it is a horrible thing to have to go thru I hope you are OK.
Great news about the landlord. Hopefully you will get to see your new place very soon.
Take care & get some rest x

12:46 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

You've been in my thoughts today.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Hope you recover your energies soon!

Good to hear about SLA getting that job!

Take care!
:)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Restless Angel said...

I'm so sorry about your aunt. Fingers crossed all's going well w/ the apartment!

5:22 PM  
Blogger dot said...

Once again, I'm sorry about the loss of your aunt. The funeral sounded beautiful.

SLA got a job on Friday the 13th? That's great!

6:07 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I'm sorry to read about your Aunt.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home