Sunday, November 06, 2005

The downward slope of the weekend

Ahhh, it's Sunday, although I tend to look at Sundays as the downward slope of the weekend. I enjoy visiting my Mom every Sunday but it doesn't give me time for much else, and suddenly, it's Monday and the working week again. This weekend I have changed my schedule and have not immediately raced to my computer to blog, like I (have to) do every weekday. Although I enjoy blogging and it's a part of my everyday life sometimes it's nice to change up the schedule and do something different and more relaxing than coming up with a post just off the top of my head and then racing to as many other blogs as I can before heading off to work. Not that I've put any more thought into this post than I normally do, but at least it's not done under the pressure of time.

Yesterday the Scone Club met, at least a couple of members, not everyone. One of the many discussions we had was about jeans, specifically, Levi jeans. I had on a pair of "Signature Levi" jeans that had such thin material that my thumb poked through the flimsy pocket! We talked about the "real" Levi jeans, study, well cut and classic and wished we still had our old pairs. But alas, most of us would not fit into our old jeans even if we still had them! We remembered wearing skin-tight jeans with 4-inch slides. Now that was an accident waiting to happen, have you ever run in tall slides? There's nothing to hold your foot in the shoe. I'd run in slides many many times with no mishaps but others were not so lucky. Amanda, my married friend (not a member of the Scone Club) broke her ankle doing just that.

HIR (Home Improvement Rural) doesn't wear jeans any more. She doesn't like them and prefers elastic waists. Before you form the image of her being rather frumpy or overweight, let me mention that she's thin as a rail and dresses beautifully. She favors hand-made one-of-a-kind clothing and since she sews, some pieces she makes herself. She has a master's degree in fabric history and collects vintage fabrics! Really.

After the Scone Club meeting, at which I had that awesome salad I love AND a chocolate scone(normally I just have the salad--oh, and I just remembered that I have the rest of the scone wrapped up in my purse, whoops) I went to an independant bookstore that I haven't visited for a long long time, maybe years. I love the place, it's so unique, has cats roaming around, birds in cages talking and whistling at each other, rabbits and hamsters. There was a crowd of people in the front of the store, and I hesitated before going inside, thinking maybe there was a meeting going on of some sort. But it was a group of people admiring and playing with the animals.

I went to look at a section of books and was hit on by a wild-looking man who would say something and then just stand there staring at me. I was polite but left that section to look at the magazines where two young woman started talking to me about a cat. Soon, the owner of the store was hustling the crowd of people out. When I came up to her counter to pay, she apologized for the commotion and told me how guilty she feels to have to throw "vulnerable adults" out of her store. "But they scare away the other customers and never buy anything."

Apparently they come into the store every day to see and play with the animals. She allows it until they start bothering the (real) customers and then she asks them to leave. They always leave politely and return again later. "Many have no support system, nowhere to go and no family." the owner said. That's so sad. Even though I'm sure it's sometimes a pain in the neck to her, it's good that she lets them come into her store. They seemed pretty harmless, if a little too friendly to strangers.

That was a dangerous place! The encounter with that store left me not only with two new (used) books but a longing to have a houseful of animals. Some people would say that with a dog, two ferrets and a chincilla all in a tiny house, I'm already there. But I've always wanted a bird or two, and those cats were so friendly and pretty. I want a cat too, it could catch the rodents in the house. My little dog would hate it, she's jealous of the other animals already and they don't usually have the free run of the house like she does. I petted some cats and my nose didn't stuff up like usual and I didn't break out into an itchy rash, maybe I'm not allergic to them anymore, dare I hope?

Are you allergic to anything like cats, or any types of foods?
Is it easy or difficult for you to avoid them?

11 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Your weekend sounds exciting.
I can't think of any real allergies, just the ones that I make up to get away from people that annoy me, tee,hee..

9:22 AM  
Blogger dan said...

you should just blog whenever you can and try and be free of some of the routine. it's healthy once ina while.

as for allergies, only pollen.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not all cats catch mice. Some are not trained by their parents and don't pick it up on their own.

2:56 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Fortunately I am not allergic to any animals. Some drugs, and that is a drag. But, your bookstore experience was interesting. She's a very nice lady to allow those people in for a time. If you have any really good scone recipes...I'd appreciate it...if you ever have the time that is. Scones are so wonderful. Do you have your special coffee with them...or an aromatic tea?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

I loved reading about your Sunday even though you ran into some not-so-cool people at that bookstore. It sounds neat though... animals roaming around and stuff... I'd like that!

As to allergies... I'm not really sure why but something in imported cheese makes my throat want to close up and itch. I can eat domestic cheeses just fine, but the stronger and more sharp cheeses I avoid like the plague. Other than that, just some meds.

You know, you could have gotten over your allergies to animals. Seriously! You could go for a simple test to find out. That would really be cool wouldn't it? Some folks do outgrow allergies!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

That sounds like such a wonderful shop! Hopefully it doesn't deter too many people who are stuffy or afraid of people who don't "fit in." I've heard there are types of dogs and cats that don't affect people with allergies. Also, as some people age, they either get allergies they never had or lose ones they had for years. So maybe you're in the last category? Good luck!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Hooray for independent bookstores and their independent owners.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

That was a full Sunday and exciting.
No alergies here.
I have 2 cats, one thinks she's a dog and the other is ready for the circus the way he flies around.
I have had a sting of pets over the years, including an camen and a python.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

OOO I lost my comment.
Can I be allergic to housework?
Your trip to the book shop sounds interesting, the owner sound like a very fair and patient woman, good for her.

I try to avoid bookshops at the moment as I can not control my spending in them... I can justify every purchase whilst I am inside but when I get out side or home the reality soon hits home

1:39 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I am deathly allergic to cats who trigger my asthma attacks. That's fine by me as I'm really not keen on them at all anyway!

Sadly, I have never managed to find a comfy pair of proper Levis which were in my price range. Maybe one day!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

PBS i am envious of your bookstore, i love Sundays at the craft markets in town here then a coffee and scone, then off to te bookstore..perfect Sunday :)

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home