Saturday, October 29, 2005

Where I came from

I sure didn't sleep in this morning! Woke up at 2:30 a.m. and didn't get back to sleep at all since then. So I'll be tired early today, too bad. But at least it's a Saturday!

Yesterday on my day off I went to see the new movie “North Country” of which a portion of it was filmed nearby. Remember my post on the opportunity to be an extra in a movie? This movie was the one, and no, my friends and I had to work that day so didn’t get in the movie. Watching it hit so close to home (literally) that I cried all of the way through it. So I can’t say that I enjoyed the movie, exactly, but they did get it right: from the clothing down to the boots, the language, the culture of my childhood. There are some Bob Dylan songs in the movie, of course (I own 13 of his albums)! And I had pajamas just like that little girl when I was a child. I had such an emotional reaction to/from this movie that I needed to wash my face in the ladies room afterwards just to be presentable.

That’s the culture and the background that I came from. My Dad was much like the husband in the movie except my Mom didn’t leave him. And she worked 42 years for the railroad, starting at age 18 at a time when women were not welcome. In fact my Mother’s first job assignment was in a depot in the town near where the Vegetable Man lives! I don’t know if it was ever as bad as at the mines but I remember her talking with her best friend, also working for the RR about their distress about girlie magazines and calendars and some of the nasty things the men said to them. Things got better for them, mostly because of the union and not so much because of the culture changing that quickly. In fact that’s still one of the major reasons that I don’t get along with my two brothers all that well, I’m the divorced black sheep of my family, pretty much like the families portrayed in the movie. My background and history is the reason I like unions too, they’re not perfect but help protect the workers. I come from that culture, beer is still my alcoholic beverage of choice with hard liquor a second only for special occasions. The country bar we celebrated Houseguest’s birthday in was like the bar in the movie.

The movie is taken from a real story that happened only in the ‘80’s, not that long ago. Anita Hill was in the news then and my son was a little guy back then. The only unrealistic thing about the movie was that she just jumped into her truck even in the winter without starting problems, scraping the windows and defrosting the inside, or having to shovel piles of snow! A reviewer of the movie said, “Saddled with broad, unfortunate Minn-eee-soh-TAHH accents…” among other unflattering things. There are a lot of negative reviews on the movie, almost more than positive reviews. I can’t honestly rate the movie as it hits too close to home, childhood and background for me. Have you seen it, what did you think of it?

Your Inner Child Is Surprised

You see many things through the eyes of a child.
Meaning, you're rarely cynical or jaded.
You cherish all of the details in life.
Easily fascinated, you enjoy experiencing new things.


Napoleon
You are Napoleon Dyanamite and a buttload of gangs
are trying to recruit you.


Which Napoleon Dynamite character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

I’ve taken the “Which Napoleon Dynamite character are you” thingy several times and always end up as ND himself. No wonder I like that movie so much! Loaned it to Vegetable Man but I don’t think he’s watched it yet, too busy with work, outside chores and getting ready for winter. He IM’d me yesterday while I was blogging and then phoned while I was raking leaves outside with the ferrets. I deferred driving to the farm yesterday because I plan to go to a rummage sale with SLA, Houseguest and SLA's sisters today in the small town nearby, where my Mom worked at 18. SLA and her Houseguest grew up there, too, long before I’d met SLA (met her in college). I plan to stop at Vegetable Man’s place on the way back home. He IM’d me again later in the evening while I was looking up stuff online and checking out blogs just to confirm our plans. What are your plans for today? Hope there’s some fun involved in there somewhere!

12 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

agh its awful when you get a lie in and you can't sleep isn't it...

i will have to look out for that movie...

and i am buying a joint of beef for a sunday roast, getting some halloween goodies for my godson and then tomorrow is the bear event...i am so excited...lol

how sad am i...

hope you have a great weekend...

:0)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Not heard of that movie, but i will look out for it. I love it when a movie can move me as much as that one did you.
I am finishing 2 papers for my last Uni subject for the year on Sunday...yippeee only 5 weeks left!
I am also going to try and fix this computer!

My inner child is "ANGRY".....who'da thunk it LOL!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

I saw a billboard ad for "North Country" and immediately decided I had to see it. I don't know why, but the desire to see this film is strong. I know nothing about it, but after reading your post, I want to see it even more. Tell me about the Minn. accent. Is it accurately portrayed in the movie?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Stupid inner child test. It said I was sad. I feel horrible.
The movie sounds worth seeing..

9:23 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I've seen previews for North Country and would like to see it. I love Charlize Theron in anything. Isn't it odd when a movie, or book or whatever makes you react like that?

9:33 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Magpie: Those all sound like fun, comfortable homey things to do. And the bear event sounds exciting!

Michelle: Hope you get your computer fixed, that's such a pain. Writing papers is too...good luck with that!

Dale: What accent? I didn't hear one, so guess it was exact! The clothes, scenery, social interactions and food were dead-on too. I think they must have been filming my childhood.

HB2: Hope you are happy today and not blue! I thought the movie was great, but I didn't watch it objectively.

Angela Marie: Charlize Theron was one of several very good actors in that movie. But like I said, it hit too close to home for me so I can't gauge it accurately.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Unions are becoming unpopular, but I'd hate to think where we'd be wthout them. Working 60 hour, 6 day weeks for little pay, I imagine.

11:44 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I haven't seen that movie yet.

I hope you have fun later too!!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I'm indulging my surprised inner child with a mystery-dinner and a movie---likely North Country.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I haven't even heard of the movie let alone seen it lol

I guess it will eventually make it's way down here to us. I have to admit I do love watching stuff that show images of where I live. It's the only reason I went to see the first LOTR movie. Then of course I was hooked, and so relieved I didn't have to read the book! lol

(BTW Love your meme answers below. One day I'm hoping I'll get the chance to ride in a limo..if I do, I'll call ya, we'll pick you up along the way lol)

2:25 PM  
Blogger jen said...

I love watching movies made in places that I have either been or lived. I also am irritated when they get stuff wrong. It seems they could just ask someone at a gas station to preview the film and tell them what they have hit on the head and what they haven't- but, I suppose they do that already.

The accents must not have been too exaggerated in the movie, then?

8:00 AM  
Blogger dot said...

I've not seen this movie, but I think I'll make an effort to do so now. It sounds interesting.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home