Monday, October 31, 2005

Doing my duty

Monday, boo hiss, what a shame after such a nice (long) weekend. Well, it had to end, I guess. Hope you had a great weekend too.

Remember when I mentioned about being called for jury duty but it was the week I was to be gone to our convention? Turns out I am in jury group 21, which wasn’t called up until today! So today at 12:30 I will report for jury duty. I’ve done it twice before, both some years ago. I enjoy jury duty. Well, perhaps enjoy isn’t the proper word. It isn’t exactly fun, can be upsetting, boring, brutal and a whole mix of emotions. But I like participating in justice, seeing that it is as fair as possible, and it is quite interesting, too. I’d recommend serving on a jury at least once in your life, just to get an inside view of how the courts and the criminal justice system work.

The parking today will be a bit tricky though, as my regular parking is quite a distance from the courthouse. And I’m wondering if my free courthouse parking will start at 6:45, when I need to park for work, or at 12:30 when I report for jury duty. So, will I need to move the jeep between that time, or just risk parking in the courthouse parking lot? It’s sort of weird to have to report in the afternoon, not in the morning like the last two times I served. But it will all work out. I may get dismissed after the first day, but I hope not. There’s a two-week span where I can get called up again if I get dismissed this time. But I think a week of it has already gone by, so maybe today will be my last chance. Have you ever been called for jury duty or served on a jury?

I’m not sure how Bosszila and the work gang will feel about it as I hadn’t discussed it with her. She pretty much had yelled at me and left without giving me time for any sort of reply or other discussion, twice. It was about the OT that she said (before the convention) that I could have. She was upset with me when she saw it on my timesheet. Go figure. At least she said, “Well, I’ll still pay you but…..” so it could have been worse. But she had OK’d it already! Is she really that forgetful or just messing with my head?

I took a “Are you politically savvy at work?” quizzy thing and got a high score. So why then isn’t the knowledge helping me much at my job? I think, after spending entirely TOO MUCH thought about this that it’s because of two reasons:

1) I’m too much of a pushover and not respected
2) I’m too invisible at work.

Hmmm, that’s all fine and good to realize those things, but now what do I do about it? Guess I’ll outline some steps at improving the situation, if I can. It doesn’t help that most of my co-workers (and Bosszila) are far younger than I am, some not much older than my son. Any suggestions will be warmly welcomed!

Random Acts of Discombobulation(Grant) had a great quiz he made for other bloggers to take. I followed his lead and made up a quiz for myself, too. I didn’t put a lot of thought into it, it was kind of spur of the moment. There even are some typos in it, imagine that! Ha ha. This is such a fun idea that I may do it again. It’s kind of like a meme but much better as you get to make up the questions yourself! Try my quiz, if you’d like and then (even more fun!) make up one for yourself. Please let me know if you do, I’d like to take your quiz!

Take my Quiz on QuizYourFriends.com!

OK, last night I set two mousetraps. Hope they work! Have a great Monday, if you can.
__________________

20 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Hey i'm first! How befitting, a post on justice and i'm first!
Great to see one of my blog buddies serve on a jury, my only hope for you is you get an interesting matter. I look forward to hearing all about it!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i love michelles flying witch...lol

happy halloween and hope you have an easy time of it on your jury service...

and hope you catch those pesky mice...

and very glad you got your overtime, will come back later to take your quiz

6:43 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

have fun jurying!!!

7:19 AM  
Blogger dan said...

i wish i could go o jury duty.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I scored an 80, which is respectable without looking like a stalker. I should have gotten the first one right. That's what I get for ignoring my instincts.

For jury duty, tell them you plan to vote for the death penalty, regardless of the crime. Rape, murder, jaywalking - they're all the same. Justice is blind - and hacked off.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Eeeek...mouse traps??? ;)

I work in the same building where they hold jury duty...parking is usually a NIGHTMARE here on a good day....when we have big jury days, sometimes you have to park blocks and blocks away!

Good luck! :)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

I love the quiz! I got a 70 which isn't too shabby. I forgot to see which ones I got wrong! Dang.

I got called for jury duty once in my life and hated every single moment of it. As you may know, I suffered with severe panic disorder years ago (which eventually led to Agoraphobia) and I was NOT the happy camper about being stuck in a hot room with strangers all morning until we got to enter the courtroom. I got out of it because I knew one of the people being sued in one case and I frequented a store being sued in another case. At least now I know how to get out of it in the future. :)
Happy Halloween!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

ok love the quiz, although i got a couple wrong, i thought i did quite well...

:0)

10:10 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Ohh I hope you get something interesting. I have been called once, but was no longer in that county, so I was eligible. I would love to do it, as long as it isn't a capital case.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I haven't been called for jury duty yet, but I am not sure I want that responsiblity call me lazy but hey that is why there are other people so they can do it!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Only 70---I feel shabby; still I just made a wrong judgment about when you shower, and I had no idea what you did, but events planner sounded right.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Helllooooooo
I hope that jury duty gets you out of that horrid atmosphere for a while. you need the break and hopefully they will realise what you do there for them.

Have a good day what is left of it.

btw I tagged you

4:48 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

The quiz is great. I lied when I signed in. I got 10% right. Wooohooo. That is a pass isn't it..

5:47 PM  
Blogger Queen on the run said...

I have always wanted to be called for jury duty. I love courtroom drama. I really should have been a lawyer.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I always wanted to serve on jury duty but my cases always get dismissed before I get the chance.

Hope your job goes better for you.

11:16 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Happy Halloween missy!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Apparently I know you too damn well. :)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

60 yay! Better than I thought I was gonna do anyways lol Cool quiz, and your morning routine sounds like mine lol

12:09 PM  
Blogger dot said...

I read the "above" post, so I know that Bosszila made you use vacation time. Yuck. Is that even legal?

PBS, I only scored sixty on your test. Sorry. I feel guilty now. (But not terribly guilty!)

I've always managed to squirm out of jury duty, because the only times they ever called me was when my kids were really small, and they excuse you if you have little ones at home.

I have a deep fear of serving on jury duty. I'm afraid that I'd be either too compassionate, or too hard-hearted, and not evaluate the facts correctly.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

yay! I didn't come last!

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home