Saturday, November 05, 2005

Smells like wet leaves

Yay for Saturday! I was outside and it’s still raining a bit. It’s been raining for the last day or two. The leaves are all off of the trees and the wood are stark and bare. It smells like wet leaves and the sky is gray. I kind of like it! I like moody days with some expression. Bright, warm sunny days over and over would get very boring. Of course we don’t have many of those. Looking out through the window now, I can see the bare birch trees. I collected some birch bark this morning from fallen branches and trees (not live trees, of course, fallen ones) in the wood.

We haven’t caught any more rodents since the last rodent report. Maybe we caught all of them, or more likely, we’ve caught all the not-as-smart rodents. Still, I haven’t heard any rustling around in the house so maybe they’re gone. Temporarily. No doubt more will find a way to come in. I’m going to walk around the outside of the house and carefully look to see if I can tell where they’re getting in.

I did a quick stop for groceries on the way home last night and got hamburger (and other groceries) because this time I had the onions but not the meat. Vegetable Man called last night. After that conversation, I went to Barnes and Noble. It's fun to flip through and even read books there. I use it like sort of a library--except you would have to buy the books to take them home. I didn't buy any books or food or coffee, normally I don't buy anything there, just look at books.

Today I was looking up "The Martha Rules" online to see if I could find lower prices. The new price is $25. The last book I ordered used from Amazon didn't come and didn't come. Then, finally I received an E-mail telling me that my account had been credited because they didn't have the book anymore! Such a bummer. It was a book I was hoping to get before Halloween. So much for that wish. What are your wishes and plans for today?

from my E-mail
Ponder these...

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?

Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?

Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?

If you can't drink and drive, why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor, and why do bars have parking lots?

Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

How does the guy who drives the snowplow get to work in the mornings?

If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

If a cow laughed real hard, would milk come out her nose?

If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?

If you're in a vehicle going the speed of light, what happens when you turn on the headlights?

You know how most packages say "Open here." What is the protocol if the package says, "Open somewhere else"?

Why do they put Braille dots on the keypad of the drive-up ATM?

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Why isn't "palindrome" spelled the same way backwards?

Why is it that when you transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it's called cargo?

You know that little indestructible black box that is used on planes, why can't they make the whole plane out of the same substance?

Yeah, those are old but still funny. Have a great Saturday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

Ilove your description of the Autumn Morning. I like waling in the park on misty mornings. it takes the tiniest of hole for rhodents to get in so I wish you luck in finding where they are getting in.

I had a similar problem with Amazon but by the time they refunded me I also got the book ..oops.

We have wached some fantastic fireworks tonight .. so I am having a whoosh bang Saturday I hope you do too

4:02 PM  
Blogger se7en said...

In La. a lot of the bars have drive-up windows where you can get a drink in a go-cup with a straw!

Ponder that!

8)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Up here, our big box bookstore is called Chapters. We mostly buy bargain books there, but I peruse others and sometimes order from their online store and save money. Sometimes I also order from Amazon Canada.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm a fan of Boarders Books. Love the idea i can have a coffee and lounge around reading all their books! LOL, i'm lucky we don't have one in my city i'd NEVER EVER get any work done!

Yes, warm weather is boring at times. Good thing about it is you know exactly what the day ahead will be like....good for weddings :)

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home